|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Arctic Fox 1150 is breaking my 2016 Ford 350 dually

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mellow

Salisbury, MD

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/21 01:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lance owners have reported this issue as well with the heavy campers.

Topics on LOA about it: https://community.lanceowners.org/topic/490087549563883794?reply=490932114694083292#490932114694083292

https://community.lanceowners.org/topic/2016-chevy-silverado-3500hd-truck-bed-is-not-flat

https://community.lanceowners.org/topic/how-well-is-the-truck-camper-edges-supported-by-the-truck-bed

2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/21 01:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Torklift article sounds like written by 3rd grader.
They talk about "bed frame"
Have never seen such animal.
All truck beds I have seen are resting on truck frame.
Somebody missed his classes.

n0arp

FT

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/21 01:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

I don't think we should base anything here off a competitor's website, but it's obvious if you look at the HappiJac design that the majority of the forces are going to be on bulkhead. Pair that with a heavy camper and aluminum bed, and you are asking for the kinds of damages shown in Op's photos.

2021 Ram 5500 Limited 84CA Cummins 4x4 w/ flatbed
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T (follow or TC toad)
2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB 2925W/22.8kWh, 30K multi-split
2016 Arctic Fox 1140 WB 1800W/11.4kWh

Reality Check

North Bend

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/21 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Pretty savvy third grader then... I skimmed the entire article. Maybe we're reading different things. Or, one of us missed class.

The Torklift article makes some great points, and walks one down the path of options available. Lot's of changes as trucks and campers have evolved.

OP's bed is messed up and that sucks. I can only surmise like others.. but I agree that forces on the walls of the bed are creating stresses at the box..due to tie downs. Frame mounted tie downs would eliminate the reaction.

'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/21 01:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The angle of the rear/front tiedown is definitely different on Torklift mounts compared to the Happijac. I have no idea if that makes much difference or not. However, Arctic Fox recommendeds Torklift.

One more thought, I wonder if the tiedowns in addition to the tiedown mounts might make a difference. After all their ability to absorb shock would be different.

Any way, I found that article to be written pretty well. I’m kind of wondering how I missed the third grader part as well.

Don’t all truck beds have a spacer between the bed and frame any more? At least, companies make replacements.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/21 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP mention that he did not put much stress on rear ties, so blaming the tie-downs for the situation has no base.
Just like Torklift is badmouthing the competition, when I wish they would spend more time on better product design.
The tie-downs they send for my 2017 Ford require several heavy shims to fit the frame, beside manufacturing flaws that I had to correct.
I have never seen 2016 Ford bed that is subject on this topic, but the aluminum bed on 2017 is having very strong support under tailgate.
It is support who suppose to carry TC weight, not the Sheetmetal bed.

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/14/21 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2011 F350 dually here towing a 13k loaded FW and have never had any frame, stress issues or cracks.

**Nevermind. Appears to be a truck camper forum/issue (?)**

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

Avid Fox

On the road often.

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/21 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mellow wrote:

Torklift puts the blame on HJ for this damage: https://www.torklift.com/index.php/blog/........eventing-bed-damage-from-my-truck-camper

Well, they certainly do. I guess I could maybe imagine a situation where the front connection could be flexing the bed enough to allow the back of the camper to constantly pressure and flex the rear of the bed. That said, the front ties always have springs in them to allow this sort of rocking back when needed. How does tying the camper to the lower frame mounted Tork's solve this issue. It just seems like a lower attachment point doing the same thing - as their longer fastguns have the same spring set up in the fronts. And those 1' long overhang arms that they attach to, must have some flex when attached to a big camper. Perhaps even more than the HJ's short and straight tie down to the frame rail under the bed.

"Somebody call an engineer at Torklift...we need to talk" ;-)

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/21 03:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

OP mention that he did not put much stress on rear ties, so blaming the tie-downs for the situation has no base.

As usually, you have a bone to pick with Torklift that is based on how much you think you know more than a company that’s been in business for over 50 years. Just wondering why your rear design is more similar to Torklift’s as hitch mounted instead of Happyjac’s that connects to the bumper. [emoticon]

Totally fine for you to pretend though. Everyone needs a hobby even if it is badmouthing Torklift.

None of us have any idea if the tiedowns were overtightened or undertighted, or if the OP simply got a bad Ford. We do know that not every Arctic Fox is having an issue with every Ford. Maybe you saw a post of someone using Torklift’s that had the same issue.

Avid Fox

On the road often.

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/21 03:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For what it's worth, I feel like I have a pretty good understanding of the current HJ system, and very consciously don't overtighten the back screws, but do preload the front spring screws, and check them all daily when traveling. I am also super conscious of weight distribution on the truck, and holding tanks being full or not, etc...

But I have to admit, if this was super common, I feel like the boards would be full of Ford owners talking about it, and they're not.

Thanks all for your input. I'll think it over a while.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Arctic Fox 1150 is breaking my 2016 Ford 350 dually
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.