|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Arctic Fox 1150 is breaking my 2016 Ford 350 dually

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/21 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Avid Fox wrote:

Sorry about duplicates, it's harder to post pics on a phone...

Anyway, it's on both sides of bed. At about the same intensity.

I did bolster the tail of the camper for a while, to stop movement, but I think it just made it worse, as the forces were increased on the trail of the bed, rather than just letting it rock around on the rubber mat.

Next time it's going to be an F550 or Ram 5500. I blame the aluminum bed currently.

Everything you posted here is an accurate assessment after looking at your pics just now.
Has nothing to do with the front HJ tie downs. Has nothing to do with the rear bumper tie downs and nothing to do with not being TL tie downs.
Has everything to do with a heavy camper beating on the back portion of the truck bed.
Either from the cantilever of the camper off the back, the crown in the bed or both.
Like I said previously, my campers and most others I’d imagine, are hard on truck beds.
Mine was dented significantly where yours is damaged. And half the time is was hauling with the tailgate on, which provided addl support and also dented.
Couple suggestions.
1. If you’re talking flat beds, why not just get one for this truck ? Moving to a 5500 is a futile move imo unless you truly need the weight capacity or gearing. They don’t ride like pickups
2. Spread the load out. Figure out the camber issue if that is really affecting it. Shim the front of needed so the rear sits flat. And use 2 sheets of 3/4 ply. Side by side, cut pieces around wheel wells so that the load in back is spread across that seam and not right on it.
3. Fix the cracks now. Those would take about a half hour for someone to TIG back together.

Betting if you do that and full plywood this will be behind you forever for not much money.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/21 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Avid Fox wrote:

Wondering if anyone else has this issue

I have a bed mat since new. I've tried .75 plywood, but took it out again after it didn't help.

There is also a slight crowning of the truck's bed. Maybe about .5" to .75", most noticable right in front of the factory pin hitch location in the bed.

I think the AF is bending the truck badly. I don't drive like a dope. This is my 2nd camper, and my 6th rv.

Folks have logged millions of miles with both hapijac and torklift tie downs with no bed damage . I don’t believe the tie downs are the problem , nor the aluminum bed . The camper bottom needs a flat surface to rest on or it will rock no matter how tight the tie downs . What ever is the cause of the crown in the bed , whether it is by design , the hitch pin , or a flaw , it needs to be remedied or you are just chasing you tail .

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Avid Fox

On the road often.

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/21 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ticki2 wrote:

Avid Fox wrote:

Wondering if anyone else has this issue

I have a bed mat since new. I've tried .75 plywood, but took it out again after it didn't help.

There is also a slight crowning of the truck's bed. Maybe about .5" to .75", most noticable right in front of the factory pin hitch location in the bed.

I think the AF is bending the truck badly. I don't drive like a dope. This is my 2nd camper, and my 6th rv.

Folks have logged millions of miles with both hapijac and torklift tie downs with no bed damage . I don’t believe the tie downs are the problem , nor the aluminum bed . The camper bottom needs a flat surface to rest on or it will rock no matter how tight the tie downs . What ever is the cause of the crown in the bed , whether it is by design , the hitch pin , or a flaw , it needs to be remedied or you are just chasing you tail .

Agreed.

Does anyone else have a 2014-16 F350 here who can check their empty bed and side rails for flatness with a straight edge? It could be factory made this way, for unknown reasons. I've looked at the 2017+ versions, and they appear flat to me. Thx.

Avid Fox

On the road often.

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/21 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bert the Welder wrote:

Kayteg1 wrote:

COG is about 1/2 way on the main floor, so camper can't pivot on flat, solid surface.
Driving on Alaska highway I did see the nose of my camper "in my line of sight" what also bend rear tie-down, meaning common truck inertia is shooting the rear up, while putting big stress on front of truck bed.

Yes. This is my thinking if the TC is on a flat surface. The front corner of the camper bottom is the teeter-todder pivot point.
I had my rear tie-downs shift out of place once from a big dip and jounce. But only once. Swapped the unsprung chains and turn buckles for fast guns right after that. This is why I'm thinking if you're gonna have just two sprung, they should be the back ones.

All builders use spring loaded FRONT tie downs, not backs. This indicates that the camper does not pivot on the front edge, but somewhere rear of the front edge (CG point). The truck frame is flexible, not a flat absolutely stable surface plate, even though you'd think so... unless and until it has 5000lbs on it.

Generally speaking, everytime I have gone over a bump, I see and feel the back of the camper dip and bounce, not the front, or the truck frame in the middle. You all know the feeling of having someone tug on your backpack, it's the same in a camper.

A flat bed is only flat until you put enough weight on it,

Avid Fox

On the road often.

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/21 04:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Avid Fox wrote:

Wondering if anyone else has this issue also:

2016 AF1150 mounted on a 2016 F350. After about 15000 miles with camper, I noticed stress cracks in the bed, at back corners. At 65000 miles, it's just still getting worse.

I'm not the only one...

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/30226264/gotomsg/30226817.cfm#30226817

Maybe it's built this way by Ford for drainage?

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/21 04:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Avid Fox wrote:

All builders use spring loaded FRONT tie downs, not backs.

Not true. My fastguns all have springs.

The sample size is so tiny that I don’t think we can come to a conclusion about the cause. We are left with guesses and a lot of variables.

I think GM was the first to have a report of crowned bed. I don’t remember any damage attributed to it though.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Avid Fox

On the road often.

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/21 05:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

Avid Fox wrote:

The sample size is so tiny that I don’t think we can come to a conclusion about the cause. We are left with guesses and a lot of variables.

I think GM was the first to have a report of crowned bed. I don’t remember any damage attributed to it though.

I am corrected on the springs. Thank you.

There is another GM truck here that shows similar crowning. Linked above.

Perhaps happijack determined that the rear bumper acted as adequate shock absorbers. Although I don't think I would agree at this point. Regardless, the rear links can't be the issue. As they are never super tight on mine.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/21 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am still trying to figure out the agenda in this topic.
You have evident truck bed failure, yet you don't check the bed, but focus on ties?

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/21 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

Avid Fox wrote:

As they say “ the devil is in the details “ . The Torklift fast guns are used with frame mount attachments , which are fairly rigid , so the rears are also spring loaded . The Happijac system uses the rear bumper for the rear turnbuckle , which is fairly flexible so used a rubber bumper . The front turnbuckle is spring loaded because the mount is attached to the bulkhead and the frame making it fairly rigid . The Torklift equivalent of the Happijac turnbuckles are called Anchor Guard and are made the same as Happijac and only the front short one have springs , the long rears have rubber bumpers .

It also begs the question why Torklift made an exact copy of the turnbuckle that is only used in their competitors design [emoticon]

* This post was edited 04/17/21 06:59pm by ticki2 *

joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/21 04:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The truck is a 2016 and still has a steel bed as evidenced by the pictures.
The aluminum bed was introduced with 4th generation Super Duty in the 2017 model year.
You can blame it on the bed, but not on aluminum.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Super_Duty
3rd gen - 2011-16
4th gen - 2017-

2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Arctic Fox 1150 is breaking my 2016 Ford 350 dually
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.