|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> F350 SRW Enough Truck

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
ognend

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/21 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

"The new diesels are complex beasts that require crazy maintenance and are prone to pump, turbo, emissions etc."

Not sure what you mean by "crazy maintenance" ???

I change my oil and two fuel filters @ 15k. Air filter schedule is 20k, I just do mine at 15k also. Not sure that should be considered "crazy maintenance".

If you go onto any Facebook Powerstroke 6.7 group or to any powerstroke forum or look up many "reputable" powerstroke service people's videos - they all recommend oil changes every 5K miles and then all fuel filters every 10K miles. If you are not doing this yourself, it will cost you roughly $150 per oil change and $350 per both oil/fuel filters service. Then there is the recommendation to use a lubricating additive to keep the CP4 from exploding (with every full tank). Many people also drain/refill their coollant every 30-50K miles for good measure. It has become nuts out there on these recommendations. A lot of people are installing CP4 disaster prevention kits like the S&S or the SPE even when there is no proof they actually work. So on and so on.

Every time someone comes on to complain about something regarding any of these new diesels, they are always waved off as "improper maintenance". Should have done this more, should have done that more frequently. Don't use Rotella, use Amsoil, use hot-shot additive, the list goes on and on.

There are plenty of "testimonies" online of Ford denying warranties on the CP4 pumps, blaming contaminated fuel. Apparently Americans can't make a good high pressure fuel pump and they are using the German made Bosch - which is made for clean European diesel. Apparently here in the States we cannot guarantee that the ULSD will be clean, always.

Overall, the new diesels operate within very tight tolerances and are super touchy and sensitive with many more parts that fail, some of which fail spectacularly (like the CP4 pump which destroys the whole fuel system and can cost up to $12K to fix). I believe there are lawsuits out there right now concerning Ford and the pump (https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases........-pump-defect-class-action-301175076.html). If you think you are safe for not owning a Ford, the same pump is in every other new diesel, I think.
Or you could just get a gasser [emoticon] - if you are towing infrequently or weights that are not excessive. None of the emission or HPFP drama, none of the turbo failing stuff, no super expensive oil/fuel filter changes, engine is simple, you can see the ground through the engine bay. I seriously feel pity for the mechanics who work on the 6.7Ls - how do you even get access to a lot of the stuff....?

--
2021 Chevrolet 3500 DRW Cab&Chassis crew cab 4x4 6.6L gas with 9ft4" flatbed
2021 Palomino HS-2902 Max truck camper
2007 Double D all steel 2-horse bumper pull trailer

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/21 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was referring to my 15 RAM/CUMMINS. My coolant interval is 150k same with valve adjust.

I also understand being able to easily work on my engine compared to others.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ognend

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/21 11:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I was referring to my 15 RAM/CUMMINS. My coolant interval is 150k same with valve adjust.

Sorry, when I say "newer" diesels I mean the CP4 diesels, don't know much about Cummins. The official coolant interval per Ford manual is 105K miles I think but people are doing it at 30-50K all in the hope that the engines will last what the old 7.3Ls did. It's become stupid at this point, over maintenance and all but apparently the consensus is that either they work all day every day or if you are a casual pavement princess or low-milage tower, then excess maintenance is in order.... what do I know....

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/21 04:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ognend wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Sorry, when I say "newer" diesels I mean the CP4 diesels, don't know much about Cummins. The official coolant interval per Ford manual is 105K miles I think but people are doing it at 30-50K all in the hope that the engines will last what the old 7.3Ls did. It's become stupid at this point, over maintenance and all but apparently the consensus is that either they work all day every day or if you are a casual pavement princess or low-milage tower, then excess maintenance is in order.... what do I know....

For some unknown reason Cummins went from the CP3 to the CP4 in 2019 & 2020 and back to CP3 2021.

ognend

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/21 06:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

ognend wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

For some unknown reason Cummins went from the CP3 to the CP4 in 2019 & 2020 and back to CP3 2021.

It's not an unknown reason - the reason is the excessive amount of CP4 failures.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/21 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ognend wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

ognend wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

It's not an unknown reason - the reason is the excessive amount of CP4 failures.

NO, my point was why did they go to the CP4 in the first place.

I did attend the TDR May Madness in 2018 when a Chrysler Rep said the reason they were going to the 4 was because they couldn't get enough pressure out of the three with the power upgrades for 2019. That was obviously a "Barbra mStreisand" statement.

* This post was edited 04/17/21 01:12pm by Cummins12V98 *

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/21 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Chrysler probably got a deal, financed by Bosch since GM dumped the CP4. They were “on sale” so to speak.
At least it only took Ram 2 years to realize the blue light special cp4 was not the bargain it appeared to be.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> F350 SRW Enough Truck
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.