RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Towing: WD Hitch or not?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> WD Hitch or not?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/21 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BenK wrote:

Was hoping the OP would post a picture of their receiver rating label...and if they are using a 2" reducer sleeve...which also reduces the receiver rating at 2.5".

I suppose you didn't believe me the first time I stated there is no label and the capacity is 1800/18000, or are you just repeating yourself for some other reason?

I am curious how an adapter sleeve reduces the capacity of the receiver though...
There are other potential issues and/or component capacity reductions using the reducer sleeves, but please explain how the sleeve makes the receiver weaker.

* This post was edited 04/15/21 02:29pm by Grit dog *

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/21 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ford derates their 2.5” receiver when a 2” sleeve is used...maybe RAM doesn’t

Also, Ford has both a WD and weight carry (dead weight) ratings their 2.5” receiver...maybe RAM doesn’t

Not arguing, just trying to help the OP figure it out and now wondering why the OP hasn’t posted an image of their receiver’s ratings label...

This area won’t break instantly when over the limits...but will develop micro stress fractures over time. Mainly when the dynamic & shock loads approach the transition from plastic to deformation line...

BenK wrote:

Found time to do a quick search, but the OP has the truck and receiver, which should have the receiver rating label on it.

Here is a Ford 2.5 inch receiver label rating, which is a max 1900 lb tongue with a WD Hitch and a max 850 lb tongue without a WD Hitch (dead weight, or carry weight)...am assuming a RAM’s would be similar, as they would both have a 2.5 inch receiver

So, it depends what the OP’s trailer tongue weight is. Since they typically range from 10% to 15%...at 10% = 700 lbs...below the max and if at 15% 1,050 lbs...over the 850 lb rating

[image]

Bottom line: the OP needs to decide if they believe in the ratings system or not.

If not, then do whatever

IF yes, research the ratings for ‘your’ truck and then follow them, but need to actually weigh it

Drew A. wrote:

Greetings,

I am towing a 26' 7000 pound gross travel trailer with my 2018 Ram 3500 CC SB truck. Do I need a weight distributing hitch with this combo?

The Ram manual states the max tongue weight for 2500/3500 trucks is 1800 pounds but does not say if that is with/without WD. There is no mention of WD in the manual except for the section about how to adjust spring bar tension.

Thoughts?

-Drew

* This post was edited 04/15/21 06:33pm by BenK *

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Drew A.

Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/21 05:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BenK,

Grit Dog is right that there is no label on the receiver. At least there is no label on the receiver of my 2018 Ram 3500. Also, Ram does not make mention of derating when the 2" adaptor is used, at least not in my manual.

My manual states that the class V hitch is rated for 18000 gross / 1800 max tongue. The Ram 2018 trailer towing guide states that the Class V receiver has a max tongue weight of 1800 pounds. That's what I have to go on.

I know how to set up a WD hitch for towing. I've been doing this for 20 years and my previous trailer was 35', 9750 lb gross, with 1400 lb tongue weight. I used a ProPride hitch to tow that.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions from everyone. As I already stated, I will try the WD hitch I have that uses 1200 pound bars and see how it goes. However, for local trips I may also try without the spring bars.

-Drew

2018 Ram 3500 CTD, 4X4, Laramie, SRW, SB
2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/21 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Am ignorant in regard to the 2.5" receiver, and it's components & systems.

To me, like comparing a grade 8 1/2" bolt to a grade 8 3/8" bolt...the bigger cross-section would be of higher strength...

Glad you've decided on what to do and I'll continue to read up and educate myself some more

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/21 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FYI...didn't know that there is a 3" receiver !!!

Tow Hitch Receiver Sizes – Learn About the Different Classes

Quote:

Regardless of what receiver you think you have on your vehicle, please measure! Owner’s manuals can be misleading and even dealerships can give you the wrong information so always measure your receiver to confirm you have the correct measurement/size.

Always remember that no matter what size receiver you have on your vehicle, your towing capacity is always limited to the lowest-rated component in your application. Whether that be your tow vehicle, the hitch, the ball mount, your trailer or any other component of your towing application.

Here is a guide to show you what our ball mounts are rated at in relation to receiver sizes.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> WD Hitch or not?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.