RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: On the road, battery and charging problems

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> On the road, battery and charging problems

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Ltrip

Reno, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/14/21 09:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A bit of a long story.  I am stumped, but can't (unwilling) to do too much on the road.
In Feb, I bought and installed 2 6V AGM GC2 Lifeline batteries.  At home, plugged into 30 amp circuit, my Zamp battery monitor showed 13+v, so I assumed the on board charger (Progressive Dynamics 9260c) was working and charging the batteries.  Now I am on a trip and the batteries wont take a charge, if there is one.  The Zamp monitor does NOT show a 13+v charge from the on board charger.  I hook up an external, stand alone charger (Schumacher ship n sail, or something like that)  It never shows more than 60% charged, and comes back and says "bad battery"  Not sure if the brand new batteries are "bad" or if the PD is not charging.  Assuming bad batteries, and needing to get home to have Batteries Plus fully test them, I bought 1 group 24 12v deep cycle RV battery and hooked it up.  We are on 110 30m amp hook up and the Zamp monitor has gone from 12.9v to 12.4v in 1/2 day.  So it seems the PD is NOT charging.  I will hookup the external battery charger in the morning to see if that works.
I can remove the power center and see the PD.  But getting my hands/arms in there will be very difficult.  And I fear loosening wires in the power center.
As I said, stumped, bummed and frustrated.
Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Larie Trippet Reno/Tahoe region
2018 Ford F250 Lariat Ultimate CC SB 4X4 diesel
2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
2019 BMW R1250RT

ndrorder

Southwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/15/21 06:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I didn't see mention of cycling the circuit breaker for the converter.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/15/21 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your batteries are brand new. It worked at home and I assume you changed no wires on your trip. If you are plugged in somewhere set your multimeter to 20v setting and check what your batteries read. Then check at your converter. If converter is charging but batteries don't see the charge reset all your circuit breakers. If you hook your portable directly to your batteries disconnect converter and check battery voltage with your multimeter you should see 13 plus volts. Let us know what your get.

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/15/21 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Batteries Plus is nation wide. Google to see if there are any near your current location.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

Ltrip

Reno, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/15/21 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reply to several comments. Thanks!!!
I posted in 2 forums. One forum suggested to disconnect the battery via the disconnect switch, while still on shore power. I did, and no 12v lights worked. That implies/proves the PD is not putting out 12v.
I did recycle the breaker switches. No apparent change.
Re: using the external charger. When I hook that up to the new 12v battery, I expect the battery monitor to show > 12.7v. It does not. The battery monitor was at 12.3 this am and did not change when I hooked up the external charger.
But I do believe my small solar panel is helping.
As stated earlier, I am very hesitant to access the convertor because it is very difficult to access, and I fear screwing something up. I am trying to be realistic about my own skills.
Thanks again. I will post updates.

Drew A.

Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/21 10:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check the fuse at the battery positive wire outside near the battery. Also, pull the wire off the positive terminal of the battery and check the voltage from that wire to ground.

It's either the fuse or the converter is dead.

2018 Ram 3500 CTD, 4X4, Laramie, SRW, SB
2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/21 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like your converter was not working even before you left. Suspect blown reverse polarity fuses from a mistake when installing the new batteries. Easy to check and fix.

When you isolated the batteries to check them and the "monitor" did not change when you charged the batts, that could mean the monitor is also isolated. You need your own digital multimeter set to voltage to put on the batteries directly.

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/15/21 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would reconnect the Lifelines and use the 24 to jumpstart them so the portable charger will begin charging without error. Or use your vehicle to jump the Lifelines.

I assume the Lifeline's voltage has been run down so low the portable thinks they are bad.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/21 11:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bad battery. Yes, they can go bad that fast.
You may also have blown the protection fuse(s) in the converter.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/15/21 02:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ltrip said: Re: using the external charger. When I hook that up to the new 12v battery, I expect the battery monitor to show > 12.7v. It does not. The battery monitor was at 12.3 this am and did not change when I hooked up the external charger.
Sounds like your battery monitor is not working because it is disconnected somehow. Again check voltage with a multimeter at the pos and neg terminals of the battery when using your portable charger it should read 13 plus volts. Let us know what it reads. Do you have a multimeter?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> On the road, battery and charging problems
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.