RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Help! Hitch stuck in ball mount.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Help! Hitch stuck in ball mount.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
1988Resort

Lincolnville, ME

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/21 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just bought a new (used) travel trailer and a brand new weight distribution hitch and towed it home. After getting it home and parking in driveway, I had a hell of a time getting the hitch off. The driveway is gravel and the truck was a bit on grass, everything was not completely level and the truck was not lined up completely straight with the trailer, so I think that's why we had a particularly hard time getting the hitch off on the one side. I was working on a time constraint (I had to leave for work) and doing this for the very first time ever, we made a hasty decision. Was having trouble lowering the ball from the ball mount. In hindsight, I think I know what we were doing wrong. The person helping me suggested to just dismantle the hitch bar from the receiver, so that's what I did and drove the truck out. This worked, but now the piece of hitch is left dangling from the ball mount. I would like to get it out from under the ball mount, then reinsert the hitch into the receiver before connecting the trailer again; however, don't know how to get ball free from ball mount. Otherwise, someone will have to hold the hitch up perfectly in line while I back the truck into it which seems impossible. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/15/21 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you have a sledge hammer? I hope the locking latch was fully open when you hitched up.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/21 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of WD40 and jumping up and down on the bar. Also make sure the truck isn't "pulling" on the ball and creating more tension.

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/21 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you sure the trailer hitch is the right size for the ball on the insert? If the ball is too big, it will get stuck. Also, and this is silly, are you sure you released the hitch ball lock lever?

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/21 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the stinger is out of the truck and just hanging in the trailer hitch, it will come out easily unless your trailer coupler is messed up. But we can’t tell that from your description.

But it sounds like you had issue in-doing the wdh as well, so idk.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/21 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two things. Generally, there is an adjustment screw underneath where in you can adjust how tight the coupler grips the ball - loosen it enough to get the ball out then re-adjust.
Secondly, with the draw bar in the receiver you can jack up the trailer to put more tension on releasing of the ball and while at the same time bouncing on the bumper to coax them to separate.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/15/21 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Caught myself in that predicament in my uphill driveway.

Yup, get out and do the backing maneuver again but ensure truck and RV are level and the ball and the hitch.

Lwiddis

Near DVNP, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/15/21 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Block the trailer wheels before any attempts.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

lwbfl

Florida Panhandle

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/21 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hate that some responders didn't read the actual post. If you already drove away in the truck most of what's been recommended will not apply. Are you saying that one of the WDH bars is still in place and putting pressure on the ball? If so you'll have to get that bar off first before the ball will come out. If not and it's just stuck in there without the bar, you'll need to hit the hitch toward the rear of the coupler to take the forward pressure off, then hold the release open and possibly repeat. Be careful if you left the one side of the WDH attached, everything has a tremendous about of pressure on it now without the truck attached!

1976 Myself and Wife
2009 DD
3 Doggies
2016 Chevy Z71
2021 Coachmen Apex 253RLS

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/15/21 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm on the check the size of the ball team. I never had a ball get stuck in the hitch. The hitch mechanism could be worn out or broken. Make sure you grease the ball also. If on a hill and you cant raise the TT up enough, put a stand or wood under the jack to raise it up more. I wouldn't use it unless you figure out the why it happened.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Help! Hitch stuck in ball mount.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.