RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Significant impact on RVing!!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Significant impact on RVing!!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/21 05:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

Likes to tow wrote:

Because people over 65 are sometimes financially stressed for funds and a little special offer is appreciated. It gets them off the couch and into nature. They have earned a little respect and this is a great way for their nation to show it.

The pass is not a "little" special offer. For $10, you got a lifetime of free access and 1/2 off camping. That's a MAJOR special offer. Some folks have been enjoying the perks of that pass for 20+ years of yearly visits to multiple parks, plus stays at other federal campgrounds.

Now, I'm not saying I wouldn't take it, but lets face it - that is way beyond the average senior discount offerings out there.

Even now with the higher cost of $80 for the pass, it's still a MAJOR deal. You can recoup that cost in one week's camping trip.

So again, be glad you got that "freebie" - it's one h3ll of a deal.

But do remember. the Seniors have been paying for the National Parks for more than 50 years. They / we deserve a break on price. plus most of us go during the week when younger folks are at work.

Let me tell you a little history. When We started camping on the Blue ridge Parkway. Campsites were $3.00 per night. I think a senior pass was like $1.00. What is it now? like $30.00. So even at half price, it is 15 times more expensive. And you still don't get power, and water, or showers. Primitive camping at it's finest.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/21 06:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like I said, I wouldn't pass it up (no pun intended).

But it is a major discount and is not just providing a discount to seniors, but actually reducing the fees to below a break even cost for the campgrounds - so those young families every weekend are subsidizing your visits.

Look at the basics:

Entrance fee for 7 days = $30 average
Campsite for 7 nights = $182 (26/night) average.

The Annual Pass costs $80 per year and only offers free entrance. So a young family would need to stay at a park for 21 days to recoup the cost of the pass each and every year. Or visit three parks each year. That is not really a good deal unless you are doing a major trip to multiple parks. And not many younger families can afford such a major trip expense (remember, they still have to pay full camping rates for that trip).

The Senior Pass costs $80 one time and offers free entrance and half off camping. So one 7-day trip to one National Park saves them $121 - which has already more than paid for the pass. Even if you only go once a year, the pass is worth having.

Now if the Senior Pass offered the same "free entrance only" as the Annual Pass but for a one-time fee of $80, I would call it a "little special offer". But as it stands, it is a major special offer.

I hope it's available when I turn 62.

* This post was edited 04/17/21 08:34am by an administrator/moderator *

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/21 06:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got my lifetime senior pass a couple days after my 62nd birthday at Death Valley. $10 pass paid for itself immediately as the (now free) entrance fee was $15. Major deal, you bet!

Last trip to Death Valley was for the super bloom, the year before the pass went up to $80. Somehow dummy here forgot his pass, and had to spring for another. Dear wife also bought one right after becoming eligible, so we have three between us. Still major bargains.

We have used one or another of them a couple times a year. We’ve saved a few hundred bucks in total. A major bargain for us, but not a big contribution to the national debt.

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/21 08:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Likes to tow wrote:

Because people over 65 are sometimes financially stressed for funds and a little special offer is appreciated. It gets them off the couch and into nature. They have earned a little respect and this is a great way for their nation to show it.

Nobody owes you, me or anyone else anything except our SS. We all took our turn rolling the dice. Don't get me wrong. I'll take advantage of a senior discount whenever and wherever it's offered, but it's not owed to me or I have somehow earned it. It's a gift.

What freedom are you losing? Regulating access is not a loss of freedom. In this case it has become a necessity.

* This post was edited 04/16/21 08:09pm by 2112 *

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/21 08:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

naturist wrote:

Got my lifetime senior pass a couple days after my 62nd birthday at Death Valley. $10 pass paid for itself immediately as the (now free) entrance fee was $15. Major deal, you bet!

Last trip to Death Valley was for the super bloom, the year before the pass went up to $80. Somehow dummy here forgot his pass, and had to spring for another. Dear wife also bought one right after becoming eligible, so we have three between us. Still major bargains.

We have used one or another of them a couple times a year. We’ve saved a few hundred bucks in total. A major bargain for us, but not a big contribution to the national debt.

I wasn't trying to suggest it was a major debt. Just pointing out that getting the discount is a great deal but not something that we are owed. If it gets limited or eliminated before I am eligible, I will be very disappointed but I won't throw a fit about my freedoms being taken away.

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/21 08:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

way2roll wrote:

Not sure how this is an impact to "freedom". You are still free to go. Covid has impacted a million things, Camping being one of them. When conventional travel became difficult and more people worked from home, people bought campers. This has impacted just about every park, not just national parks. Due to the influx of people, what would you have the parks do? Too many people ruins the experience and to some extent the park itself, not to mention there just aren't enough sites. If you plan on going, make reservations. Not much different than any place else you might go. If and when things return to normal, lots of folks will sell their campers and things won't be so crowded. Until then, it is what it is. But the sky isn't falling and your freedom isn't being threatened. This isn't personal.

Totally agree .

+1
I went to Glacier National in 2017 and it was an absolute mess and I'm sure it worse now with all the new RVer's. I don't need that aggravation so a limit might help.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/17/21 08:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agree with 2112, the GOV owes me my SS, I pay into medicare, so I feel they owe me something for that. Getting this discount, or any discount for that matter, is not a right, and Im not owed it. At best it's a privilege and a gift, that can easily erode or disappear.

I served 22 years in the military, so they also owe me my military retirement. I feel they reneged on my "free" healthcare for life, but clearly I have far far cheaper insurance than the average American.

For those who say they are owed because they've been paying in for a long time, that, to me, is just ridiculous.

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Monaramblee

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/21 04:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've lost my freedom to infect others with a deadly virus and im ok with it. Life will return to normal one day and all the rv parks will be wide open.

2008 Holiday rambler Vacationer XL
340 HP Cummins

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/21 09:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Monaramblee wrote:

I've lost my freedom to infect others with a deadly virus and im ok with it. Life will return to normal one day and all the rv parks will be wide open.

When did you ever have the freedom to infect anyone? Cause I never had that.

Monaramblee

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/21 01:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never did never will. Im glad you understand my point.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Significant impact on RVing!!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.