|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Obesity in America

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
#1Flyboy

California

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/21 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In 2020, 83 percent of men and 72 percent of women will be overweight or obese. Currently, 72 percent of men and 63 percent of women are overweight or obese (people who are overweight have a BMI of 25 to 29, people who are obese have a BMI of 30 or greater).... Interesting...And I don’t think it’s getting any better...

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/21 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That make no sense ... when you calculate BMI for a male, 180 lbs and 5'11 shows as top scale of normal weight. At 5'11 and 185, overweight!!!

Any athlete - walker, or hiker, or swimmer, physically fit male will weight 200-210 easily and at 5'11 will show well into the overweight and only one point from obese. Franco Harris 6'2 230 lbs and Walter Payton 5'10 and 200 - both show only ONE scale point from obese, for example. I'd love someone to point out the obese molecules in those two examples. [emoticon] Then tell them face 2 face they are obese [emoticon] [emoticon] I'll dial the EMT for you [emoticon]

Statistics and data are numbers, not real information. Muscle mass weights more than fat mass. So, muscular men and women will weigh more than equal mass in fat men and women. BMI is not a very useful number in determining overweight or obesity.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/21 12:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do not trust the source of the recommended BMI index (AKA, the government.)

Remember the food pyramid they were pushing a few years ago? Wasn't it the government "recommendations" that told us to base the majority of caloric intake should come from carbohydrates (with fats being the least at the top?) Nutritionist have debunked that because we now know that carbs (too many) can be one of the leading causes of obesity. Fats, which were taboo according to the pyramid, we now know that are important to the body in more proportions than originally recommended.

Obviously, individuals should consult a dietician for specific needs if there is a concern, butt if the majority of folks were following that "pyramid" then no wonder there is so much obesity today... even if the BMI index is somewhat accurate.

salem

Central Valley, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/21 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not over weight, I'm just under tall.

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/21 01:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Feds once said Ketchup counted as a vegetable serving in school lunches. Even if true as a serving, which it is not, tomatoes are a fruit.

So, that would be dessert. [emoticon]

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/21 01:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been lobbying for more access to the outdoors here in the East for decades.
people that live in cities are restricted in opportunities to get out and be active. The once a year or twice a year trip to the Smokies doesn't do squat for activity.
I did fish about every weekend and during the week, living near the water but now everyone of the hugely increased population since the fifties means everyone else is there too.
Clearwater Beach,Fla., you can no longer see the ocean except by making a jog behind condos and it is overcrowded. Don't know when it happened but I remember the houses or condos were all the other side of the road.
I'm older than dirt though.The Cumberland Woodlands should have been another National Park.
Wife goes to the store,..why...because it's the only thing to do to get out so she shops and spends.America no longer tills the fields or works in factories. They watch TV which is all that many can afford to do. RVers are fortunate but as in AZ everyone was inside watching the boob tube! It was too hot or it was too cold.Some drove 2,000 miles to sit inside their RV! Pu the plug cut the cable, buy a fishing rod and an old car and hunting rifle..and go to high school games they are cheap and fun. Maybe there are some of the leagues not affiliated with the majors some where too but not around here.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/21 02:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fast food garbage is the major contributor. Do you have any idea the fat content of what you are eating? Trim the hell out of steak and chops. Leave zero strips of white. If you nuke bacon for three minutes look how little is left.

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/21 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

Fast food garbage is the major contributor. Do you have any idea the fat content of what you are eating? Trim the hell out of steak and chops. Leave zero strips of white. If you nuke bacon for three minutes look how little is left.

Didn't use to matter when we were active. Body needs it in proper portion or proportion.
My Uncle probably consumed 10,000 calories a day and had not an ounce of fat on him. He literally ate a week's worth of groceries at supper!
Our genes are not made for a sedentary life style! Dad and Brothers had no fat. They were raised as sharecroppers and in military. year before dad died he put out a garden with a shovel. Cancer got him though. Weighed probably 130 lbs.
All of us with Naive American blood well a 6 ounce steak is like two lbs to others maybe.They fix my knee I'm out of here and fishing every day or something. Doesn't have to be hard work but activity where there isn't a dinner table.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/21 03:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

monkey44 wrote:

The Feds once said Ketchup counted as a vegetable serving in school lunches. Even if true as a serving, which it is not, tomatoes are a fruit.

So, that would be dessert. [emoticon]
"Knowledge is knowing that tomatoes are a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad". [emoticon]

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/17/21 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, for those of you that have chided the OP (now deleted) for using data from last year, give it a break! The last sentence in the opening post is the crux of the topic:

" Interesting...And I don’t think it’s getting any better..."

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Obesity in America
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.