|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Obesity in America

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/21 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not sure we should refer to the BMI guidelines as a 'joke'. For most every guideline/rule there are exceptions. We have to be careful we don't interpret the 'exceptions' as the 'rule. In terms one's health, that is where the considered advice of our doctors come to play.

CDC wrote:

BMI is a reasonable indicator of body fat for both adults and children. Because BMI does not measure body fat directly, it should not be used as a diagnostic tool. Instead, BMI should be used as a measure to track weight status in populations and as a screening tool to identify potential weight problems in individuals.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/06/21 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

it should not be used as a diagnostic tool.

That's laughable because that's exactly what they use it for-to "diagnose" whether or not you are obese. It's also used as a basis to determine what conditions and diseases they think you might get. It's an indicator but not an absolute.

We have to be careful we don't interpret the 'exceptions' as the 'rule. In terms one's health, that is where the considered advice of our doctors come to play.

We are ALL exceptions to that "rule". Weight is only a component of health. I think the medical community spends too much time trying to put us all in little boxes instead of looking at each as individuals. I'm certainly not a medical expert but having suffered a life-threatening illness and dealing with a number of chronic conditions makes me take a lot of their "guidelines" with a grain of salt.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/21 03:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As is true with all things measurable, only ONE average exists, the rest are either one side or the other of any data center.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/21 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't help but notice the products people are putting in their grocery baskets; cases of soda, nutrition-less deserts, etc. All that's fine in very moderate amounts. I never buy soda pop, but will indulge very rarely on a food with little nutrition (gotta have a little enjoyment sometimes). I'm a trim 204 lbs. [emoticon]

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

loralli23

USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/21 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used to be overweight. I really liked to eat fast food before work. I also suspected gastritis. I didn't like the way I looked and decided to get in shape. I started exercising regularly but it didn't help. On Canadian pharmacy I read that you need to drink plenty of water, eat healthy food and take vitamins. I've changed in a year and it's so cool! Now I don't worry about having a stroke. I advise everyone to take care of their health

* This post was edited 08/07/21 04:32am by loralli23 *

mr_andyj

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/21 02:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When traveling to Europe this makes spotting an American very easy; they are the ones with fat bellies or just large bodies.
The American diet is largely based on processed corn products which especially include the very fattening High Fructose Corn Syrup! Other nations do not grow corn like we do so have different base diets.

Weight is not the issue. Body fat is. There are thin bodies and there are thick bodies - endomorphs vs ectomorphs, so one can be built heavy, but if you are fat then you are likely unhealthy, despite what a doctor in America might say.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 08/05/21 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

High Fructose Corn Syrup!
Truly the devil's brew
I avoid it as much as I can
Folks do a bit of research on it
Be sure to have a good supply of clean underwear when you do
you may well need it.
it's used in place of sugar. it's cheaper. and from a business point of view there are some other advantages as well.. i will not say what they are

But do the research.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

AKsilvereagle

North Pole, Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/21 06:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

atreis wrote:

I'm 5'7", weigh 155 lbs, and am very fit. Technically I'm overweight. According to the doctor's charts, I should be 140 lbs. I don't think anyone who saw me would think I'm overweight though.

I am also at 5 ft 8 in and since 2015, My weight has maintained between 150 to 155 (yes lbs and no not kgs either)...

My ideal weight according to their charts should be 145 lbs, and I can easily achieve that as long as I eat only plants and little meat as my belly fat will go away....

When I stay on a by the book diet of just plants and protein, I get to 145 lbs or lower fairly quickly as my doctor gripes at me wanting me to stay at the 150-155 lb range so I do not get arthritic, and she was right after disputing her claim and me arguing about the BMI index of me perfect at 145 lbs and maintaining a great diet.

Once in a great while I will have sugar cravings or junky french fries and potato chip binges after staying on the healthy side for so long, however once I ever so reach the 155 lb threshold, I stop the junk food and go back to healthier eating and keep the fat to a minimum.

I wish I was a big vegetable eater but cannot fathom most vegetables, as lots of onions, carrots (shredded only), lettuce, orange bell peppers only (spinach leaves on a limited basis and can fathom that for only so long) pickles (if that is actually a vegetable) is pretty much the only non fruit plants I can really toad on in its raw non cooked form....

Fruit pretty much I can eat 90 percent of the earth's selection as I am a fruit toad, however due to my diabetic status I "try" to limit fruit the best I can (while having a serving of protein with it) just so to keep me off the refined sugar and junk food.

I have not seen past 156 lbs since being diagnosed with diabetes (only high sugar) in July 2015 and still not on insulin....

I have drank water over 99 percent of the time the past 6 years and orange juice 1 percent of the time.

I also notice when I maintain a week of healthy diet without the junk or breads, my pulse rate will drop from the lower to mid 70's back down to the mid to low 60's - as my blood pressure readings still maintain in the 116-78 range with the 70+ pulse and drop down in the 106-68 range with the healthier diet - that is HUGE.

The basic rule of thumb one dietician told me is :
Consuming plants is medicine for the body...
Consuming protein is strength for the body...
Most everything else left, added and in between is garbage for the body.

My main exercise regiment is physical work at my job, and got back into bowling 7.5 years ago and am very passionate about it and recorded 7506 games in six game format in that span, and probably another 350 exhibition and league sanctioned games in between as bowling will use 20 muscles in your body and my pulse rate will shoot up in the 110's within my 3rd game....for the record, I maintained above a 200 average threshold in the last 2900 consecutive games recorded.

I am 56 years old now, and I want to live well beyond 62 and enjoy my upcoming future social security checks and retire and travel in the RV all over North America as long as I am healthy enough and can afford to do so - that is my goal in life, and try to average better than a 210 in bowling too.

1975 Ford F250 2WD Ranger XLT (Owned June 2013)
460 V8- C6 Trans- 3.73:1 (175K Total Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000 (Front)
Hellwig 3500 lb Helper Springs (rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G971 LT Series (siped)

AKsilvereagle

North Pole, Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/21 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One last note :

For all the health buffs out there that are advocates of perfect dieting, I had a couple of arguments in the past with dieticians about this subject...

KFC (which I don't eat there) The founder Colonel Sanders lived to be 90.

Carl's Jr. (which I will eat there) The founder Carl Kalcher eaten one hamburger every day since he founded his first site in Anaheim California until his dying day, also lived to be 90 - just short by days of Colonel Sanders upon the same age.

Taco Bell (which I eat there now and then) The founder Glen Bell lived to be 86, and when I was raised in Los Angeles I was a full fledged Taco Bell toad along with his El Taco franchise too - it was real food back then compared to their brand of food today (nicknamed toxic bell) !

McDonalds (which I don't eat there) The acquisition founder from the McDonald brothers to Ray Kroc who was a milk shake machine distributor, lived to be 85

Wendys (which I will eat there) Unfortunately Dave Thomas only lived to be 69, however he had a carcinoid tumor for 10 years before striking his liver so who knows how long he could have lived if it weren't for that, while the Where's the Beef lady lived to be 85

Adkins Diet (which I don't eat) Robert Adkins lived to be 72, had congestive heart failure and weighed 258 lbs at the time of his death.

So the moral to this post is this :

As long as I limit saturated fat for the long haul, enjoy tasty food in low moderation, still eat healthy the majority of the time - I can live as long as these fast food founders that started this whole mess !

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/21 07:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And ...an antithesis corollary (coronary?) to that could be Jim Fixx, who could be considered an "epitome of health" and the Godfather of running, died at age 52 of a heart attack! So much being fit according to some sort of BMI chart!

I am not saying to stop exercising and eat Mcd's everyday, but there are no guarantees in life. Walking outside your door everyday is a risk.

Life is short, eat desert first.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Obesity in America
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.