|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Obesity in America

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Fisherman

Angus, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/21 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think part of the problem is we try and stuff everyone into the BMI box and if you're not within spec's, you're guilty. It would be more reasonable or effective to use a bell curve instead. Without a doubt there will be those that are the size of a pipe cleaner and still fall dead at an early age, most likely from some genetic problem or something else not related to BMI. One of my friends, a complete ball of muscle, played sports, no garbage food had a BMI of 32, died of a heart attack at 52. After the autopsy they found a medical condition that he would not have survived anyway. On the other side, the wobbling cases of blubber you see filling the grocery cart with garbage, no exercise except pushing buttons on the TV remote are masters of their own disaster, no sympathy from me. Moving jaws to consume food is not a disease, it's a lifestyle.

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/21 06:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I exercise I can promote good heart health. I suppose eating properly also promotes good heart health. With a healthy heart it is less likely that I will go to bed one night and wake up dead in the morning. If I look after my heart maybe I need to take up sky diving or some such thing so I don’t end up dying a slow painful death.

2021 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/21 05:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Obesity is everywhere we go. We go out to eat, it's expensive,.... $65 to $70. But, we bring back enough for another 2 dinners. However, many eat everything on the table. We're guilty of eating too much.
We go buy groceries, and all I see is that people overload their carts. All I see is what a beautiful successful way the supermarkets PROMOTE obesity. Makes me want to buy a lot more than I do. If I had enough money I would buy a bigger motorhome, a bigger house, bigger refrigerators, and bigger freezers and bigger pantry(s).
IMO we need to wake up! We're so divided, and sick, that there's no chance of solving our problems. We can't even agree on how to fight the delta variant.
Thank you Marcus, for providing these forums.

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/21 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go read up on when and how the BMI was developed. That will give you a sense of its accuracy for assessing individuals.

It's a guideline and if there are population changes in the average BMI over time or between regions it can indicate relative societal differences/changes in obesity.

Review this website and look at the plots of trends; the one for children is the most concerning.
NIH: Overweight & Obesity Statistics

Growing up I was frequently told to "go outside and play"; now it seems to be "go sit in front of a screen and play".

oliviaolivv0101

USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/21 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is very bad and I understand it from my own experience. I have been doing sports since childhood and I had a great time. When I started college, I also went to work. I really liked her and I spent a lot of time there. Sometimes I didn't have time for homework so I turned to https://writinguniverse.com/essay-types/definition-essays/. I started eating a lot of fast food because I didn't have time to cook and because of that I gained excess weight which bothered me. I felt unattractive and then started eating more healthy food and doing sports.

* This post was edited 08/15/21 02:51pm by oliviaolivv0101 *

leafnest

US

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/21 09:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you walk through your average supermarket and critically look at all the items they are selling it is just depressing. You should not eat 95% of the products they are selling.

It's all soda, candy, chocolate, crisps, cookies, frozen deep fry food and pre made food with high sugar content.

joanne0012

Boston, MA

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/21 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's the problem -- walking THROUGH the supermarket. At most markets all the healthier foods, fresh ingredients, produce etc., are around the perimeter; and the processed profit-makers predominate in the up-and-down aisles. So instead go AROUND the supermarket. If you don't walk past it you won't buy it.

Joanne

Fisherman

Angus, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/21 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A lot of people are too lazy or don't know how to make and cook healthy foods. In the last 2-3 years when you look through the weekly grocery flyers, you see a lot of pre prepped foods. I'm sure they are definitely not the best or highest quality. Then there's the other "door dash" and delivery companies that push ready to eat delivered to your door. No thanks. North of the border we have a company called M&M, pre cooked meats, everything you can imagine. Re heat and eat, tried it 3 times and puked my guts out at 3 in the morning. Never again.

falconbrother

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/21 11:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Read: Why We Get Sick, by Dr Benjamin Bikman, PhD. He really does a great job of explaining obesity and acute/chronic disease. And, obesity..

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/21 05:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BMI or not, it doesn't matter too much. Just use your eyes, don't you know FATNESS when you see it? It's everywhere you go. It's a sickness. Do not deny the science of it either.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Obesity in America
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.