|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Looking for a new trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Atlee

Mechanicsville, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/21 05:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Campingliz99 wrote:

It is a hoot when a scene starts in one, then moves smoothly to the other.

The magic of cinema, where the impossible seems likely. In 2014, we did the deluxe tour of Warner Bros studio. Wonderful experience. It's amazing what film makers, and the film editors can do.

Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/21 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Campingliz99 wrote:

Thank you for additional advice and suggestions!

Huntindog I didn’t look for the payload, but our intention is to stay well under the 6500 lbs with only 2 of us in the vehicle. We will not be carrying anything heavy, other than humans, in the SUV.

OK. Just so you realize that the towing capacity is pretty much a marketing number. It is for certain lashup conditions, that a TT will not fit under.
Generally because you run out of payload long before you can hit the tow rating

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
Full Body Paint, 3, 8K axles, Disc Brakes
17.5 LRH commercial tires
540 watts solar,
2020 Silverado High Country CC DA 4X4 Big Dually.

LVJJJ

NW WASHINGTON

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/21 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have always been concerned about weight as we started in 1988 with a 1965 Chevy Van, flat front, installed a stroker 292 6cyl with TH350, headers, weber 2 bbl carb, etc. Towed with that several years and 90,000 miles. Had a 30' 2000 Trail Lite for a while and were amazed how easy it towed. Then went thru a whole bunch of other brands we were never really satisfied with. After over extending ourselves buying a bunch of new TT's, we started buying used cause I like to repair and fix them up. For our "ultimate" TT the DW spent about a year on the computer looking for a Trail Lite or Trail Cruiser, they are truly light. We found a 2005 26' Cruiser with a walk around queen bed. Then came across a better 2005 28' Cruiser with a rear door and better floor plan, with the walk around queen. I weighed it probably half full of stuff, propane, etc. it weighed 4100 pounds semi-loaded. Incredible for a 28 footer. We have been towing with a '94 GMC Suburban that originally had a low compression 350 and it struggled with anything it towed. Last year dropped a 383 stroker with dual exhaust and headers in it, now can go as fast as I want and it will pull most mountain passes in 3rd and steeper ones in 2nd. Still gets 10 mpg towing, 13 running solo. Used to pull a very heavy dual slide 30' Arctic Fox with a 88 Suburban with a 454, would get as low as 6 mpg (the 383 is more powerful). That was dumb. Don't feel The Trail Cruiser much back there, and with Equal--i-zer hitch tows straight and rock solid, no swaying at all. Longer trailers sway less than short ones, ask me how I know. I'd recommend looking for R Vision products for great floor plans and ease of towing. Oh yeah, the Burb weighs 6,000 lbs so the tail doesn't wag the dog.

1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Looking for a new trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.