RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Truck camper on top of gooseneck hitch?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Truck camper on top of gooseneck hitch?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
I am Yu

USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/21 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a fold-down gooseneck ball in my truck like this one:
www.curtmfg.com/part/61052

I have a bed mat that makes the floor even with the hitch plate. Would it work to have a truck camper sitting on top of that? I can remove the safety chain u-bolts, but the carriage bolt heads would still be sticking up.

If I really had to I guess I could remove the whole hitch plate whenever I need to, but that would leave a big hole in the truck bed.

Slymer

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/21 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn’t risk it. I used to switch up from TC to 5th wheel. To put the TC in I had to make a bed out of 2 x 4’s to get over the hitch mounting rails. Then I put the mat on top. If your TC isn’t super heavy & you can afford to raise it 1.5 “ higher then I would try that route.

fpoole

PNW and Beyond

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/18/21 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't know on that one, but something to consider might be putting the camper on a gooseneck trailer.
Gives freedom of truck when parked/camped out, great storage and a deck depending upon length.. depending on type of camping, just a thought...

* This post was edited 04/18/21 03:47pm by fpoole *

Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10’ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow N’ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

Oxfofd, Fl

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/21 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HERE

The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

Oxfofd, Fl

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/21 03:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have rails in my truck for a 5er. When I take my slide in I put two 2x4s parallel with the rails the length of the bed and put the slide in on.

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/21 03:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm guess from the pic, but it look like an inch with the plate thickness and carriage bolt heads?
And just for clarity, have you cut a hole in your bed mat that goes around the hitch plate?
If your mat sits at the same level of the bolt head tops, you have to account for the mat compressing. So might be an issue, depending on the mat density. I think I'd want a minimum of a 1/2 to 3/4" above the highest part sticking out of the hitch. So either another mat on top or under. Or a plywood sheet under. Both/either of them with a hole cut out for the hitch.
Pic's are always helpful but a PITA to post on here....

"> 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/21 07:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a B&W because it came with the used truck. Only a very small amount of mine comes through the bed and it’s is pretty much level with the corrugation. The tiedown hooks are the the same.

I’m assuming that’s what the Curt does, but I didn’t see a picture of an install.

I have a Deezee mat over mine. I haven’t had any issues, but I’ve only had mine about 6 years with my Host. Of course, it’s not on all of the time, but I’ve loaded/unloaded a lot of times.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/21 07:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

put a 3/4 "horse stall mat in the bed with a cut out for the carriage bolts and call it good.

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 08 Lance 1055, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/21 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Cirrus camper has removable service panels on the bottom. I found stall mats to be pretty dense vs the screws holding the panels on. I changed to anti fatigue matting with the round holes.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/21 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

352 wrote:

I have rails in my truck for a 5er. When I take my slide in I put two 2x4s parallel with the rails the length of the bed and put the slide in on.

That's exactly how I did it when I had my Jayco fifth wheel and a truck camper at the same time...Cheap and easy plus it works..

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Truck camper on top of gooseneck hitch?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.