|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Tire Recommendations

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
jyh818

Chino, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/21 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PatJ wrote:

The FORD replacement wheels you purchase from FORD parts are different than the ones installed at the factory despite the identical part #.

I'm looking to get a spare for my 2021 E450 Class C as well. I didn't realize that the specs are different with the same part number.

I had been considering getting 4 new Alcoa rims (2 front, 2 rear outer) and keeping the 2 rear steel inner. I saw a video saying why Ford had aluminum alloy rims on the outside, but steel inside because of the thicker aluminum rims. Having aluminum inner and outer would not have long enough wheel studs to hold. If I go this route and use my existing tires, I would then just need to get an additional tire for the spare on one of the 4 factory rims. The Alcoa rims run $1,199.

2002 Ford Excursion XLT 6.8L V-10 2WD, 4.30 Limited Slip
Rear Hellwig Sway Bar
2009 Skyline Nomad 260
Prodigy Brake Controller
EAZ-Lift WD Hitch

Jarlaxle

New England

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/21 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why not get a used wheel from a salvage yard or LKQ?

John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ">
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/29/21 02:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ron.dittmer wrote:

Hi ScottM,

If your rig is 29 feet or longer with one or more slide outs, you might want to consider those extra-capacity E-rated tires. It's like 500 pounds more per tire which means 2000 more pounds for the rear axle and 1000 more pounds on the front. But there is such a thing as "too much". A shorter lighter rig with over-rated tires translates to a more harsh ride. Just about everyone would agree that the continuous earth-quaking when being driven is undesirable. You don't want to make it unnecessarily worse.

For our 24 foot (2007 E350-DRW chassis) rig with no slide out, I am buying new tires in the next few weeks. I decided on Michelin Agilis CrossClimate 115/112R. Discount tire gave me a price on 6 for $1316 out the door. Our rig is 14 years old with 38,000 miles and still has the original tires in-part because we garage our rig. I had such a good experience with the original Michelin LTX tires that made no sense to try a different brand. I also like that they are "Made In USA".

Ron ... I'm curious.

Why are you going to have 115 tires put on you motorhome? Didn't it come stock with 225 tires on it like mine did ... along with so many other E350/E450 based motorhomes?

(I retrofitted our Class C with 115 tires in order to provide slightly more ground clearance.)

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

Kepler4

So. Kali

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/21 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jyh818 wrote:

PatJ wrote:

The FORD replacement wheels you purchase from FORD parts are different than the ones installed at the factory despite the identical part #.

I'm looking to get a spare for my 2021 E450 Class C as well. I didn't realize that the specs are different with the same part number.

I had been considering getting 4 new Alcoa rims (2 front, 2 rear outer) and keeping the 2 rear steel inner. I saw a video saying why Ford had aluminum alloy rims on the outside, but steel inside because of the thicker aluminum rims. Having aluminum inner and outer would not have long enough wheel studs to hold. If I go this route and use my existing tires, I would then just need to get an additional tire for the spare on one of the 4 factory rims. The Alcoa rims run $1,199.

Hello, I looked into the Alcoa wheels for my 2021 E450 and could not get a quote from Les Schwab, America's/Discount Tire, or any shop near Walnut/Diamond Bar. May I ask where you got your quote and did you get those Alcoa's yet?
Thank you!

2021 Forest River Sun Seeker 2550 DSLE E450 chassis
Hellwig sway bars
Bilstein shocks

jjrbus

FT Myers FL

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/21 06:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting, High quality brand name tires?? Are they better tires or is far more money spent advertising them? Is a brand name tire in Europe or Asia unknown in the US? And brand name in the US unknown in the rest of the world. Expiring minds need to know.

Seems as if one tire was so superior that no money would be spent on advertising, word of mouth would be all that was needed.

ronbiel

AL

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/21 12:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fourthclassC wrote:

Cooper Discoverer HT3

Had Cooper Discoverer HT3's also. Good grip and quiet on the highway, although treadwear isn't the best.

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/21 07:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hankooks have been around for quite a while. From use on tractor/trailer rigs to my own personal vehicles ( Ram truck and Toyota 4 Runner) they are as good or better than most tires available! memtb

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Tire Recommendations
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.