|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Would you switch from Class A to Travel Trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/21/21 06:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ranger Smith wrote:

Nope . . . We love the class A. Pull into a rest ares make lunch coffee use the bathroom then go. Can't do that with a trailer. It is more convenient for us.

Have we been breaking the law? We do that with a trailer, since I was a kid.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/21/21 06:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve thought about perhaps switching from a class A to a tt or fw but every time I see people who have them setting up I quickly change my mind. Every time I pull into a rest stop or parking lot for a bio break, grab a snack from fridge or cabinet I remind myself that I made the right decision. The fact that I stink at backing up a trailer of any kind just might be a factor.??

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/21/21 06:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Horsedoc wrote:

We owned one 30 foot travel trailer with no slides. It was fine for trips to the local state parks. On the kind of extended, long-range trips you describe the MH would be our choice. Taking breaks for toilet, snacks or stretching legs is so much easier in the MH. If you are doing a long haul, it is so simple to pull into a safe place and catch a nap or even sleep a few hours.

We just wound up a similar trip 6-7months and 8000 miles & 45 travel days. That's about a 3hr average travel day (there was an exception to get out of Texas during the recent weather fiasco but no real problem doing it).

We might swing into a rest area halfway for a bathroom break but really not bad at all. No real need to park and take a nap but if we had to, we could certainly do it with the trailer.

We can set up or tear down as fast as a MH...of course, for a long trip like this, there isn't a lot of pressure to go fast. We usually don't leave until 10-11am and are in by 1-2pm. Even so, from the time we decide to get going until the truck is in drive is only about 15min without rushing. I've yet to see someone in a MH with a toad do it much quicker.

About the only way to significantly reduce that time would be to drop back to a camper van without a toad and don't set up anything. Then you can just hop in the driver's seat and go but once you have a full size MH with toad, there isn't any time savings. (plus keep in mind, I can back out of a gas station if it's tight...with a toad, you have to unhook if you can't go forward)

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/21 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most Class A's, at least the ones we looked at, were better insulated and had more amenities than any comparable travel trailer. Depending on where you will be traveling, this might be an issue. Yes, you can take potty breaks in either rig, but it's more comfortable in a moho if it's raining, snowing or hot like Yuma in the summer. That's whats great about America, we have choices depending on our likes and needs.....Dennis

We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

BurbMan

Noblesville, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/21/21 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We never used rest stops with the TT because it seemed like whenever we were ready to stop we needed fuel too. The burb had a 38 gal tank, but not wanting to drop below 1/4 tank while averaging 7-8 mpg gives you an effective range of 225-250 miles. The larger fuel tank on the MH gives you more flexibility IMO.

Here's an idea: The MH you are looking at only has 9k miles. Buy it for your long 9k mile road trip this summer and leave the TT in the yard. As was stated that's the kind of travel where the MH really shines.

When you get back from your trip, the MH will only have 18k miles on it, if you decide it wasn't any better than the TT you could probably sell it for what you paid for it. If you love it that much, then sell the TT.

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

speediq99

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/21 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you everyone. This is some great feedback.

I like the idea of buying the MH to test it out on this trip and then selling it upon return if we don't enjoy it as much. The only workable downside is the toad. It is a 30ft Class A and it seems more maneuverable thank the 50-60ft rig with the TT plus TV. Renting a car on our major stops may give us a workaround. I hear people mention it but I am not sure how práctical it is if we are staying 4-5 days per stop.

I have done a lot of Rving but my wife has not. I love traveling in anything. I just want to make this a good experience so this lifestyle becomes part of our lives. Space wise both units are similar once setup. Traveling in a very comfortable truck can be a plus. I remember the inconvenience of a hot Class C when the cab AC was not enough but I also remember all the conveniences.

We have a couple of electric bikes with 30 miles range so we may be OK without a toad on this trip. I was just wondering how people handle the car rental situation, whether this works and if there is a service that delivers a rental to the campground.

Thanks again for all the insights. This has been helpful.

BurbMan

Noblesville, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/21/21 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You said in your first post that you had a Jeep to use as a toad, is that not an option? If the new TV is 4WD, most can towed 4 down with the transfer case in neutral.

If you don't want to invest in the hardware to set the Jeep up to be towed 4 down, a dolly for the front wheels is a good option. It's not vehicle specific, and if you sell the MH after the trip, you can easily sell the dolly for what you paid for it.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/21 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lol. We are going from a 40 foot diesel pusher yo a 20 foot tear drop type trailer. But we are doing it because there are so many parks and areas we want to visit that the Motorhome was too big for. It’s still not till next year. We’ll miss the big girl. We have had it for 18 years. Had it since new. But it’s time for a change. A medium sized SUV and a teardrop trailer will open up some new territory for us.

Cheers and stay safe on the road.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/21/21 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

Here's an idea: The MH you are looking at only has 9k miles. Buy it for your long 9k mile road trip this summer and leave the TT in the yard. As was stated that's the kind of travel where the MH really shines.

When you get back from your trip, the MH will only have 18k miles on it, if you decide it wasn't any better than the TT you could probably sell it for what you paid for it. If you love it that much, then sell the TT.

Anything is possible in the world of covid but I would assume a 9k miles MH is around a year maybe two old, so if you bought and held it for year you are still in prime depreciation time, so unless it's a heck of a deal up front, expect to lose money.

smarty

new mexico

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/21 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

at the end of the day it is really what you and the wife feel is best for you and your lifestyle/desires. Both units have their pro's and con's. If you are not going to use the unit much more than you stated I would go with the most inexpensive alternative of the two

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Would you switch from Class A to Travel Trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.