RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Opinion on knock-off batteries for laptop...?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Opinion on knock-off batteries for laptop...?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/21 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A side note: Different equipment, but in my Canon Cameras, the CANON OEM batteries of the same size last much longer per charge, and much longer battery life. Yup, higher cost too.

I'm sure some manufacturers do a good job, and some don't. Finding which is which becomes a chore in itself. I buy OEM when I can ... and find it cost effective and dependability effective in the long run.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/21 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I spoke with my IT guy, who is an approved installer and reseller for Dell. He does all of our office's IT stuff and is the person with whom I dealt on my laptop purchase (it is the computer in question promoting my topic inquiry)
...this guy's computer and tech-stuff knowledge is in the stratosphere!

I was surprised to hear him to say he takes no exception to after market batteries!

...having worked with him for close to two decades with respect to our office equipment (and knowing his partiality to Dell components) I was quite surprised to hear him opine that it is a coin toss as to purchasing from Dell or from Amazon!

Price aside, Dell can get one to me in a little over two weeks!!!!
Amazon, next Tuesday.

p220sigman

Tallahassee, FL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/21 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When my son's old laptop stopped holding a charge, I replaced the battery with an aftermarket with no issues. He has since bought a new laptop, but his old one continues to function fine. We ordered one off of Amazon that wasn't the cheapest available, but was still significantly cheaper than the ASUS branded one.

Keep in mind that it is likely the laptop manufacturer doesn't make the battery either. It is entirely possible that the aftermarket battery is exactly the same as the manufacturer-labeled batter.

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/21 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

About a dozen years ago I bought an aftermarket battery for my laptop. It was bigger, stuck out the back and had a lot of extra capacity.

That battery gave me more than 10 years of flawless service before I retired the laptop. When the laptop expired from a CPU overheating problem, it was still going strong when I replaced the computer.

It was so good that I stopped using the OEM battery.

I would not hesitate to do buy another one for my present laptop.

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS - 32'

RV Rebuild Website
Site is live, finally launched Aug 22, 2021 @ 6:53 PM

RedRollingRoadblock

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/21 02:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think what one gets is a luck of the draw. I bought a no brand one for my HP laptop about five months ago off e-Bay. Worked great till it didn't. Timed its life this morning. Full charge to dead in six minuets.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/21 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

monkey44 wrote:

A side note: Different equipment, but in my Canon Cameras, the CANON OEM batteries of the same size last much longer per charge, and much longer battery life. Yup, higher cost too.

I'm sure some manufacturers do a good job, and some don't. Finding which is which becomes a chore in itself. I buy OEM when I can ... and find it cost effective and dependability effective in the long run.

I have bought generic batteries for my Canon cameras and they work to the same standards as the oem batteries. The catch is that you need to watch the mAh of the individual batteries. Not all generics have the same rating as the oem batteries.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/21 03:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't have an opinion on no name replacement batteries but I'll chime in on what I found helps them last longer. Don't think it should always be fully recharged.

I use to think I should always recharge it to 100% after each use, or just leave it plugged into the charger. My Sony's original battery lasted maybe 2 years. While researching if this is expected, I read about laptop battery care. I changed my habit to only recharge when it gets down to 10%. Then only charge it up to about 80% and not let it live on the charger.

6 years later my Sony brand replacement is still going strong. YMMV

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

curt12914

Bombay NY (5 miles from Quebec, 15 from Ontario)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/21 06:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My (inexpensive) HP laptop does not have an external battery.

2021 F-350 Platinum 4X4 PSD SRW 2016 Montana 3950FL (2) Honda EU2000i's
...and a few (twenty-some, but other than my wife, no one is counting) antique Allis Chalmers tractors

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/21 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RedRollingRoadblock wrote:

I think what one gets is a luck of the draw. I bought a no brand one for my HP laptop about five months ago off e-Bay. Worked great till it didn't. Timed its life this morning. Full charge to dead in six minuets.

You bought it on Ebay.

You got what you paid for.

There are far better places on this Earth to purchase new electronics and Ebay isn't one of them.

Got scammed/swindled way to many times from Ebay purchases.

Sure, your gonna pay a bit more for even Amazon, but at least with Amazon you have some hope to recover your money or get a free replacement easier..

I save Ebay for those hard to find, made of unobtainium items that haven't been made for 50 yrs.. And even yet, I have been able to avoid Ebay through other means.

Look up a Batteries Plus store, you will get far better service from them than Ebay.

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/21 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

monkey44 wrote:

I have bought generic batteries for my Canon cameras and they work to the same standards as the oem batteries. The catch is that you need to watch the mAh of the individual batteries. Not all generics have the same rating as the oem batteries.

Correct ToedToes, that's why I always checked the specs first. Some mfg meet specs, some don't. But even some that claim 'same specs', often do not perform as well. I can't afford failure in the field when working, so just buy OEM and not worry. Saving a few bucks on a battery isn't worth worrying about the Mfg miles from civilization. I go thru three or four on some assignments. If I worked closer in town, it might be an option. [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Opinion on knock-off batteries for laptop...?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.