RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Anyone heard of a Combo AC/DC Air conditioner?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Anyone heard of a Combo AC/DC Air conditioner?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Chaisama

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/21 01:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have two Lab dogs that travel with us in our truck camper. When we’re out and about and the weather is hot we can’t leave them in the truck. The alternative is to start the generator and turn on the camper AC. I’m not crazy about leaving the generator run unattended. Would like to find some small auxiliary cooling device that could run off my DC. I’ve got great Solar Panels and very big batteries so I don’t think I will draw down too fast. I was looking at “personal, portable cooling fans” which some claim can lower room temp by 10 degrees. They basically are blowing air over a water reservoir or dampened filters. Any ideas on how to keep our pups cool?

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/21 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chaisama,

Welcome to the forums.

For each battery count on about 1200 watt-hours. How many watts of solar panels do you have? How big is the inverter?

There are DC air conditioners but they may be 48 volts dc.

I think the unit you mentioned is called a swamp cooler. They work better in extremely dry climates.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

J&R

jefferson,ga

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/21 02:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

coachman beyond class b offers an option of a 20,000 btu 12v ac. But i don't recall seeing the manufacture. 600 amp hr with the e package. maybe helpfull?

Ron & Joanne 06 Revolution LE 40E

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/21 02:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Honda 2000 securely mounted on a torklift side kick rack on my front hitch (locking pins). I can run my polarcub 9200 AC for 6 hours from there. Keeps our dogs cool in the TC if we are out and about where we can't take them with us

[image]

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 08 Lance 1055, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/21 02:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have had no problem leaving the cat in the TC on hot days with the two Fantastic Fans blowing one in one out and the TC cab over windows open also the smaller kitchen window. He actually seems to like it laying on the bed with his head in the breeze to sniff. 264 watts of solar panels easily manages the power requirement. If the cat wants AC, he can pay for it!

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!
CITAP1 Jeff's YouTube Channel
A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/21 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is your fear of leaving the generator running unattended? Is it a built-in or a portable unit? All of the built-in’s I’m familiar with have adequate safety shut-downs as part of their design. Actually, all the portables do too, but you may be rightly concerned about theft.

If you have a built-in that’s in good running condition, it may make more sense to invest in a means of remote monitoring the temperature in your RV, and getting alerts sent to your phone if there is a problem.

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/21 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My little 5K window unit only draws 330 watts with the compressor on which would run a very long time on a gen set..

[image]

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/21 04:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personal portable cooling fans, aka swamp coolers....
Are you familiar with swamp coolers and that they don really work in humid environments?

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

FWC

The Wilderness

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/21 04:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

My little 5K window unit only draws 330 watts with the compressor on which would run a very long time on a gen set..

[image]

Sounds like you could run that off batteries for a decent amount of time as well.

I think the generator thing depends a little on where you are parking - if we are talking a mall parking lot then generator away. If you are thinking trailhead, picnic area, national park then running a generator for hours a time could be a bit inconsiderate.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/21 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KINGTEC makes DC air conditioners.
Did not hear about combos

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Anyone heard of a Combo AC/DC Air conditioner?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.