RV.Net Open Roads Forum: GM Spokesperson admits energy to charge cars comes from coal

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > GM Spokesperson admits energy to charge cars comes from coal

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/26/21 08:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

Didn't mean to start a show but my point is the lady from GM is representing a new electric car for the company and one would think she would be on top of the local/regional power plant sources in case questions of power infrastructure would come up. When your designing or representing an all new vehicle using alternative energy sources you better have your duck in row. Its responses like this that make you wonder if this 2nd gen EV will fail like the first one.


I’m not sure when the Volt came out but I think it was somewhere around 2008. So this video is probably kinda old. They haven’t made the Volt since two or three years ago. Just never caught on.

Which brings us to the Tesla. The volt weather true or not, represented a drab commuter car. That had to be plugged in every 100 miles that was only good as a short commute grocery getter. It was perceived as not much better than a golf cart.
Tesla came along and showed the real power of EV.
It was fast, full of technology, had a decent range and was fun to drive.
The Tesla was a game changer that propelled EV into the mainstream overnight. So much so that several companies have proclaimed that have quit making ICE equipped cars.
Note none of those companies are concerned where and how the electricity is generated because it is a non factor.
Do we really consider where the gasoline comes from to power ICE engines?
So why all the discussion on coal, vs. fossil vs. nuclear.
In the grand scheme of things the EV is going to beat the ICE off the line, have less maintenance, more technology and cost much less to operate regardless of how the electricity is generated.
Coal fired vs. nuclear vs. wind vs. solar energy is an issue within itself , with or with out the evolution of EV's.


19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide


Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/26/21 08:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

Reisender wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

Didn't mean to start a show but my point is the lady from GM is representing a new electric car for the company and one would think she would be on top of the local/regional power plant sources in case questions of power infrastructure would come up. When your designing or representing an all new vehicle using alternative energy sources you better have your duck in row. Its responses like this that make you wonder if this 2nd gen EV will fail like the first one.


I’m not sure when the Volt came out but I think it was somewhere around 2008. So this video is probably kinda old. They haven’t made the Volt since two or three years ago. Just never caught on.

Which brings us to the Tesla. The volt weather true or not, represented a drab commuter car. That had to be plugged in every 100 miles that was only good as a short commute grocery getter. It was perceived as not much better than a golf cart.
Tesla came along and showed the real power of EV.
It was fast, full of technology, had a decent range and was fun to drive.
The Tesla was a game changer that propelled EV into the mainstream overnight. So much so that several companies have proclaimed that have quit making ICE equipped cars.
Note none of those companies are concerned where and how the electricity is generated because it is a non factor.
Do we really consider where the gasoline comes from to power ICE engines?
So why all the discussion on coal, vs. fossil vs. nuclear.
In the grand scheme of things the EV is going to beat the ICE off the line, have less maintenance, more technology and cost much less to operate regardless of how the electricity is generated.
Coal fired vs. nuclear vs. wind vs. solar energy is an issue within itself , with or with out the evolution of EV's.


But back in 2007 or 08 when the Volt came out (and when this video probably came out) coal was still a significant producer of electricity in North American and Britain. It’s all but gone in Britain and Canada and only a small player in the US now. Within a decade or two it will be pretty much done. Natural gas is actually a pretty good way to make power nowadays. Cheaper, less pollution, quicker peaker operation. Probably not a good time to be in the coal industry.

time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 04/26/21 08:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am still trying to figure out how the EV knows how to pull out just the coal generated electricity from the grid mix. [emoticon]


2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/26/21 08:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

I am still trying to figure out how the EV knows how to pull out just the coal generated electricity from the grid mix. [emoticon]


[emoticon]. Smart electrons.

Durb

NW

Senior Member

Joined: 01/15/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 04/26/21 09:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The original Volt had a gasoline engine/generator on board to charge the battery and propel the car when the battery was out of energy, an ingenious design.

An earlier comment asked the question why auto manufacturers are jumping on the EV bandwagon if not having an eye on the future. Could be the 100+ billions of dollars in the proposed infrastructure bill for the manufacturers to go BEV might be the answer. The tax payer subsidizes the factories, subsidizes the purchase price and subsidizes the cost of clean energy production and distribution.

Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/26/21 09:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Durb wrote:

The original Volt had a gasoline engine/generator on board to charge the battery and propel the car when the battery was out of energy, an ingenious design.

An earlier comment asked the question why auto manufacturers are jumping on the EV bandwagon if not having an eye on the future. Could be the 100+ billions of dollars in the proposed infrastructure bill for the manufacturers to go BEV might be the answer. The tax payer subsidizes the factories, subsidizes the purchase price and subsidizes the cost of clean energy production and distribution.


Is this an American thing? How about all the Chinese and European manufacturers?

time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 04/26/21 09:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Automakers are against the wall on emissions and economy. Remember how VW tried to get over the wall?
EVs allow all manufacturers to jump to the other side and just make vehicles again and can thumb their noses at the EPA.
No more compromise on emissions vs economy vs performance vs reliability vs warranty vs cost.

free radical

Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 02/07/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/26/21 10:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

Reisender wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

Meanwhile China is building a coal plant every week. As if that pollution doesn't count.
And we are pledging to cut ours in half.... Which we really do not pollute that much any more. In any endevour the first 90% is pretty easy and afordable... Getting that last 10% is extemely hard and costly. It would be much more effective to get China to match what we have already done. But that is not the way it is gonna go.


Uh no. Per capita Canada and the US are still some of the worst pigs on the planet. The Chinese would have to get a lot worse before “catching up” to us. They pollute more because the have almost 4 times the population. Saudi Arabia, Kazakhstan and Australia are still the top of the heap followed by the US and Canada. China is pretty far down the list.

https://www.ucsusa.org/resources/each-countrys-share-co2-emissions
"Do you beileve me or your lying eys?"

I grew up in the days whre the sky wasn't blue, and the rivers were not safe. Seeing smoke come out of a cars exhaust was normal.
It isn't like that here anymore.

Not so for China. They were wearing masks long before Covid hit.

One can find many so called studies supporting any point of view one wants..... I believe my eyes.

You obviously never been to China or talked to someone living there

Take a look
https://youtu.be/lRxBaHERqMM


Elon Musk on China
https://youtu.be/U8Jyq0pJBPc

* This post was edited 04/26/21 10:32pm by free radical *

lane hog

Tucson, AZ & NW Chicago Burbs, IL

Senior Member

Joined: 07/06/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 04/27/21 01:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huh. I worked in China for eight months, and that video is pure propaganda.

Sure, the streets where the tourists go are spotless because it's all about outside world image and perception.

Go a few blocks away, and you'll find your trash... Go where the manufacturing is, and you can't breath the air let alone gaze at the blue sky....

We were on the 15th floor of a building 100 meters away from one of the freeways. You couldn't see the freeway thru the windows because of the smog.



  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit



JRscooby

Indepmo

Senior Member

Joined: 06/10/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/27/21 04:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Durb wrote:

The original Volt had a gasoline engine/generator on board to charge the battery and propel the car when the battery was out of energy, an ingenious design.


At the time, on electricity the range was very limited. The engine was likely to give divers more security. But because somebody showed a market, so the technology advanced.

Quote:

An earlier comment asked the question why auto manufacturers are jumping on the EV bandwagon if not having an eye on the future. Could be the 100+ billions of dollars in the proposed infrastructure bill for the manufacturers to go BEV might be the answer. The tax payer subsidizes the factories, subsidizes the purchase price and subsidizes the cost of clean energy production and distribution.


[sarcasm]Yep, yep. I'm sure that's right. After all, the last 4 years with a administration trying to stop any chance of slowing climate destruction, there was no development in EVs[/sarcasm]

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > GM Spokesperson admits energy to charge cars comes from coal
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.