RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Opinions on lightweight portable inverter/generators

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Opinions on lightweight portable inverter/generators

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
H-Rider

Los Angeles

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/21 05:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Honda EU2200 only used to run the AC during the summer months. The solar panel handles charging the camper battery and other devices.

Home Depot had $100 off the EU2200 and with credit card application they had another $100 off.

alexleblanc

Shediac N.B

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/21 06:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd be hard pressed to try another brand now that I've had my pair of Honda 2000's for the last 7 years. They work wonderful and with the extended run boat tank setup can run for hours upon hours at the track to cool the fiver.

TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/21 07:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love my Honda EU2200i with bluetooth.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

mr_andyj

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/21 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I havn't used either of those, but for 2nd question; I have a 2200 Ryobi and am happy with it. It will run my 9200 BTU air cond just fine. It is quiet and always starts on first pull. Light, small and quiet. I paid about $500 but price prob $600 now.
You really should investigate solar more for what you are doing rather than use a generator...
Def get an inverter gen as they idle down to run just fast enough for the loads you have on it which saves gas and sound.

My brother has a $99 (maybe $150 now) 2-stroke harbor freight (or similar brand) green, little gen. it wont run an AC but will do a refrigerator in a home. He uses it for power outages for days on end and loves it.

curt12914

Bombay NY (5 miles from Quebec, 15 from Ontario)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/21 04:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was in a local Harbor Freight Saturday.

I was looking over the generators when a very friendly clerk asked if he could help me. I asked what they stocked for parts for the Predator generator. He got a little smirk on his face and asked what I was looking for.

I asked if he had any parts for the rewind starter. No. Carburetor kit? No. Air filter? No. Spark plug? The auto parts store up the street has them !

He then went on to tell me that he, personally, owned a Predator for 3 years and had no problems with it.

Again, I know the Honda is a lot more money, but I would be willing to bet that the Honda dealer up the street would have all those parts on the shelf.

What is a ruined camping trip worth ?

2021 F-350 Platinum 4X4 PSD SRW 2016 Montana 3950FL (2) Honda EU2000i's
...and a few (twenty-some, but other than my wife, no one is counting) antique Allis Chalmers tractors

MORSNOW

Mountain Home, ID

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/21 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

curt12914 wrote:

I was in a local Harbor Freight Saturday.

I was looking over the generators when a very friendly clerk asked if he could help me. I asked what they stocked for parts for the Predator generator. He got a little smirk on his face and asked what I was looking for.

I asked if he had any parts for the rewind starter. No. Carburetor kit? No. Air filter? No. Spark plug? The auto parts store up the street has them !

He then went on to tell me that he, personally, owned a Predator for 3 years and had no problems with it.

Again, I know the Honda is a lot more money, but I would be willing to bet that the Honda dealer up the street would have all those parts on the shelf.

What is a ruined camping trip worth ?

Exactly why I switched from an off-brand to my current Honda 2200, parts and service. Yamaha also provides parts and service for theirs.

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD

7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/21 02:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I run my generator sparingly. I have not had to replace a spark plug. First RV was purchased in 2000. Kipor generator was just fine for 9 years. Electric start and FOB Regina for 1200.00

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

moonlightrunner

USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/21 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My goddaughter works for Harbor Freight. She is a freight supervisor. This is what she tells me.... The Tailgator generator is garbage and no longer sold. If you buy a generator, get the extended warranty and if you have a problem, just return it. She says most of the people who use HF genny's on their RVs or other heavy use, exchange them before the warranty runs out, even if they are running fine. I use her 20% off employee/family discount for everything I buy from HF. My goddaughter knows the return rates on all the HF gennys. There are a couple that she refuses to promote (the Tailgator was one). She recently came home all excited about one of the new inverter gennys. This is the one she is going to put on her new-2-her truck camper (13.5BTU Air). She is also going to add a conversion kit so she can run it on LP. https://www.harborfreight.com/4400-watt-inverter-generator-with-co-secure-technology-epa-iii-57509.html

ronbiel

AL

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/21 12:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Honda 2000 also. It is quiet and easy to haul around.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/21 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

moonlightrunner wrote:

My goddaughter works for Harbor Freight. She is a freight supervisor. This is what she tells me.... The Tailgator generator is garbage and no longer sold. If you buy a generator, get the extended warranty and if you have a problem, just return it. She says most of the people who use HF genny's on their RVs or other heavy use, exchange them before the warranty runs out, even if they are running fine. I use her 20% off employee/family discount for everything I buy from HF. My goddaughter knows the return rates on all the HF gennys. There are a couple that she refuses to promote (the Tailgator was one). She recently came home all excited about one of the new inverter gennys. This is the one she is going to put on her new-2-her truck camper (13.5BTU Air). She is also going to add a conversion kit so she can run it on LP. https://www.harborfreight.com/4400-watt-inverter-generator-with-co-secure-technology-epa-iii-57509.html

This is contractor grade generator. With inverter technology is going to be quieter, but still you will not be welcome with it at campgrounds.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Opinions on lightweight portable inverter/generators
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.