RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Opinions on lightweight portable inverter/generators

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Opinions on lightweight portable inverter/generators

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
jimh406

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/21 07:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

restlessways wrote:

I was reading this thread and just thought I'd chime in. 4 years ago I bought a Westinghouse 2400. POS. It was surging from day 1, and would shut down at times due to vapor lock or some other issue. I tried their tech support which was beyond useless. Some idiot reading from a manual telling me to take things apart when I didn't even have any replacement parts, etc. I ended up returning it to HD and buying a Honda 2200. I use the Honda every day in the summer not only to power my 5th wheel on my summer property, but to run power tools as well. Conservatively, I would estimate the hours to be well over 2,500 at this point. The only issues it ever had was a fuel leak from an improperly tightened screw from the factory, and a worn out pull cord which I replaced myself. I would never buy another brand.

I have my Onan builtin but after reading this site for 15 years, there is no doubt that only a Honda is in my future. Fwiw, I couldn’t even run my 9000 watt AC with a 2000 watt Cosco brand that my wife’s uncle had. I did try including turning everything off.

Watts aren’t equal to watts more importantly the starting capability is not the same with a Honda vs other brands.

Whenever I think about buying something else even much cheaper, my wife reminds me that I said I’d only buy a Honda. [emoticon]

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Bird Freak

Dallas Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/21 08:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Friend of mine bought a Harbor Freight generator with replacement warranty. never had a problem but every couple of years he takes it back and say's it dies after running a couple of hours. They give him a new one. repeat process!

Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/21 08:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bird Freak wrote:

Friend of mine bought a Harbor Freight generator with replacement warranty. never had a problem but every couple of years he takes it back and say's it dies after running a couple of hours. They give him a new one. repeat process!

Even if that technique works who wants to go through that every few years vs. simply having a reliable genset from the start.

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/21 08:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

Even if that technique works who wants to go through that every few years

Besides, that's not being honest.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1976 Ford F-250 6.4L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

Reality Check

North Bend

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/21 09:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

Lantley wrote:

Ding Ding Ding Ding..!!!!

We have a winner. Character matters. It's not always what you do, it's often what you do when you think no one is watching.

'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/21 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reality Check wrote:

specta wrote:

Lantley wrote:

Ding Ding Ding Ding..!!!!

We have a winner. Character matters. It's not always what you do, it's often what you do when you think no one is watching.

Exactly.

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/21 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I find they are wonderful creatures to have as a backup JO if you have lots of extra room but if not well.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/21 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I still keep the $60 HF generator that I bought before small inverter generators become available.
It is 2-cycle, but CA legal, so no worry about oil change and good for emergencies.
Since I bough 1000W inverter generator since, I don't really need it, but should I put perfectly good generator in trash can?

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/21 02:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NVR2L82AV8 wrote:

Numerous Campgrounds, and even National Parks, are getting real testy on Generator noise.

I just saw that Yellowstone National Park has LIMITED Generators from 8am until 8pm in Seven parks (Bay Bridge, Canyon, Fishing Bridge, Grant Village, Madison, Mammoth and Norris). There is a noise limit of 60 decibels.

I know just ONE Genny that can operate under load at that noise level.

Check out the dBA Chart at 100% Load

And for all the people singing the praises of the Chinabomb Maypop equivalent in generators, now not only are they more failure prone, don't always output the advertised power, have little to no parts or service availability, but now they aren't even quiet enough for "new" standards!

Guess my trusty old Honda that I could sell today for more than I paid for it, used, several years ago is STILL the ticket to generator success!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/21 02:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

Fwiw, I couldn’t even run my 9000 watt AC with a 2000 watt Cosco brand that my wife’s uncle had. I did try including turning everything off.

Watts aren’t equal to watts more importantly the starting capability is not the same with a Honda vs other brands.

Whenever I think about buying something else even much cheaper, my wife reminds me that I said I’d only buy a Honda. [emoticon]

While I haven't run the gamut of china-bomb generators, one of my engineers on a project bought a Costco Yamaha knockoff special. Same thing, it "worked", but it didn't put out near the power that it should. It wouldn't even think about running his camper AC, and it wouldn't run his microwave very well with anything else pulling power. He exchanged it twice before just getting his money back.
Actually had a new real Yamaha 2000 that we bought on that job. Side by side, the Yamaha would run everything the Yamanot would not. Same loads would also run off of a 20A 120V circuit hooked to our 30kva office gen set through 200' of extension cord and not pop the breaker on the gen set.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Opinions on lightweight portable inverter/generators
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.