RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Opinions on lightweight portable inverter/generators

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Opinions on lightweight portable inverter/generators

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
towpro

Compass PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/21 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

I can sit on my Honda EU3000 having it under lower load and I can make conversation in normal voice.
Seem the 1000W Sportsman is louder, but that might be due that is always running on loads above 50%.
Most of the time I can hear camping noises from spots hundred ft away louder, than my generators.
Do you snore?

some years ago I was out walking around a sea of campers sitting in a field with generators running at the first motorcycle race of the year (it was cold). I walked up to this one Group and the conversation moved to generators. I asked if he was going to start his Honda 3000 later that night? he laughed at me, it was already running. could not hear it over the lawn mower generators all around him.

2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/06/21 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since this is about small and light weight generators.... I have this 700w propane inverter generator that weighs 25 lbs. and runs 58 to 65 db. I only use it for battery charging if the solar does not hold up. Glad to not carry a gas can since I already have propane. No issues with extended storage.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Baja-900-Wat........ed-Inverter-Generator-BAI911LP/306283803Try to find it on sale or with a coupon.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

curt12914

Bombay NY (5 miles from Quebec, 15 from Ontario)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/06/21 07:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2112 wrote:

curt12914 wrote:

A friend of mine has a 2400 watt Champion with remote start. The generator has been really good and I would love the remote start over going out to pull start my Hondas.

My biggest concern with the Champion (and many other brands) is parts and labor availability. if I have trouble with my Hondas (and I have had very little), I can always find a Honda dealer close by. To me, the dollars I could save are not worth one ruined trip.
Just call 1 877-338-0999 for Champion parts and local service. They sent me a pull cord assembly free of charge.

That is precisely my point.

If I have a problem, I can go to a local Honda dealer and get my Honda generator repaired. Champion has no local dealers. The stores near us that sell Champion products stock no parts and have no in-store service.

If I was in the middle of a camping trip and depending on my generator (which I have done many times), my trip would be ruined.

My friend has had good luck with his Champion and I think they are a good product, But without a local dealer, parts and service netork, I will pay more for a Honda (or Yamaha).

2021 F-350 Platinum 4X4 PSD SRW 2016 Montana 3950FL (2) Honda EU2000i's
...and a few (twenty-some, but other than my wife, no one is counting) antique Allis Chalmers tractors

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/21 03:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

If I have a problem, I can go to a local Honda dealer and get my Honda generator repaired
It may sit there for 2 weeks before they can get to it regardless of brand

My point was call them and they will tell you if there is a local service center near you. We have 2 local small engine shops near by that service Champions. Do they have parts on hand? I do not know.

One shop also sells and services Honda products. The other is just service.

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

curt12914

Bombay NY (5 miles from Quebec, 15 from Ontario)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/21 04:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2112 wrote:

Quote:

If I have a problem, I can go to a local Honda dealer and get my Honda generator repaired
It may sit there for 2 weeks before they can get to it regardless of brand

My point was call them and they will tell you if there is a local service center near you. We have 2 local small engine shops near by that service Champions. Do they have parts on hand? I do not know.

One shop also sells and services Honda products. The other is just service.

That hasn't been my experience.

Many years ago, we were in Richmond, VA for a NASCAR race. It was a very hot weekend and we were camped at a flea market about a mile from the track, where there was not a bit of shade. One of my Honda generators would not stay running. I took it to a local Honda dealer, where I had never been a customer. He took the part I needed (carburetor spacer) out of a brand new generator to get me going. I left with a repaired generator, and he did it under warranty)!

Go into a local shop that sells generators other than Honda or Yamaha and ask about parts or service. Every one I have encountered (and I am sure there are exceptions) stocked few common parts and farmed their service out to an outside repair shop.

We also have several local small engine shops that work on Champion products, along with just about every other thing that has a small engine. I don't know of any that stock anything more than parts that fit many engines (like spark plugs, starter rope, common filters, etc.

Again, I'm not saying Champion, or any other product, is not a good product. What I am saying is parts and service availability is not anywhere close to what Honda or Yamaha has. Although, I have had very good service from my Hondas, I have not found any product that can't have problems and usually when you really need them.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/21 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The parts distribution evolved over the years.
I do rebuild small carburetors for decades and in the past, new orings for B & S engines was annual thing.
Now, when after 15 years of use the carburetor on my Honda 3000 start acting, I could not find rebuild kit. Had to buy whole new carburetor. It wasn't too expensive, but still.

Barry W

Corapeake, NC 27926

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/21 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://www.jackery.com/
I purchased this portable (1500 + 4 100 watt panels) solar generator for my house for short power outages. I took it to cape lookout for our annual fishing trip. It kept my snow river camper batteries Charged for two weeks. I was impressed to say the least. No generator noise the entire trip, Priceless! Barry

2006 F350 4x4 DRW CREW CAB 6.0
SNOWRIVER 9'6" DINETTE ALL WEATHER PACKAGE
FIRESTONE AIR BAGS
RANCHO 9000X SHOCKS
HONDA EU2000
1000 WATT INVERTER

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/21 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Barry W wrote:

I purchased this portable (1500 + 4 100 watt panels) solar generator for my house for short power outages. I took it to cape lookout for our annual fishing trip. It kept my snow river camper batteries Charged for two weeks. I was impressed to say the least. No generator noise the entire trip, Priceless! Barry

I still see $2,699 price tag on your link?

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/21 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Barry W wrote:

4 100 panels = full charged batteries. nada to do with the jackery.

"short power outage". Maybe a couple of hours? My RV needs to run 24/7

My class c currently has more than twice the wattage storage of the (expensive) jackery at 1/6 the cost.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

notsobigjoe

southeast

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/21 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just commenting on the generator part of the conversation as I have never had any solar. You are all correct in your points about parts and rebuilding as well as new carburetors. Any one who's had a generator for some time will need a new carb and that's after the first couple of rebuilds. The bottom line is you get what you pay for. Honda has parts readily available but at a premium price, the parts for my two small generators come directly from china with no dealer reps other than Home depot and they send for the parts from china but that was clearly my trade off as I purchased two of them for the price of one Honda. Is the Honda a superior unit? In my opinion you bet it is. With that said I understand they too are no longer made in Japan but China.

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Opinions on lightweight portable inverter/generators
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.