|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 3/4 ton diesel vs. gas

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/29/21 08:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

Hannibal wrote:

I’ve owned six diesels. Bored family and friends to tears with how wonderful they were. Got tired of the sound of the diesel groaning up the hills because they can’t rev. A Cummins howling at 2900 rpm up hill gives a new meaning to a screaming engine. Between that and the potential for horrendous repair costs, I went back to gas. My new 2020 7.3 powered F-250 makes very easy work of towing our trailer. Very quiet and vibration free. Not even a hint of a desire for another diesel.

I don't dispute your thoughts but if 2003 is the last time you owned/experienced a diesel, a lot has changed since then.
On the other hand, I think some of us diesel guys have outdated thoughts/memories of how a gasser performs when towing.

In 1995, I had a new Chev 1/2 ton short bed extended cab, small block 350, that I was towing a 26 foot Holiday Rambler Alumalight trailer . I towed that trailer all over Utah , Idaho, and Montana. Did a great job. Then I went on a trip with another couple with a new 97 Ford 7.3 diesel crew cab ,thats all it took . I ordered a new early 99 Superduty ,and never gave a gas truck another thought since. It was as much the crew cab as it was the diesel . But having that diesel enabled me to move up to a fifth wheel, that I couldn't with small block gas engines.

Now reading what you have to say ,a 7.3 gas powered truck would be tempting. I would sure like to see how well they tow north of 10K . Say around 13-14K if that is even possible with one ???.
Towing with a diesel I never see much better then 10MPG , Not that I expect too, but would the gas perform as well. I know back in the day those big block gas motors were doing 6-7 if they got worked much. Not a whole lot better running bobtail.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/21 08:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Youre still going to get about 30% better towing mileage with a diesel.
And I pull those weights you’re talking about with the older 6.2 Fords and newer 6.0 GMs. Of course they’ll pull 6-7 tons, and capably too. Just not the first to the top if you’re racing a diesel up the hill. Capable tow rigs nonetheless.
I have to believe the Godzilla/10speed combo is a GREAT tow rig for a gasser.

What most of the dill holes forget is it’s not gas vs diesel. We’re on the same team here boys. The enemy is the impending doom of NOT having either of those kinds of rigs to tow with in the future. And instead of cam, headers and a tune or a bigger turbo and injectors, we’ll be upgrading to “high performance “ extension cords and some super duper lithium sodium barium unobtanium 600V batteries!

Wonder when Accel will begin marketing high performance charging cords?? You know yellow with orange plugs! Lol

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Jarlaxle

New England

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/21 09:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

Hannibal wrote:

I’ve owned six diesels. Bored family and friends to tears with how wonderful they were. Got tired of the sound of the diesel groaning up the hills because they can’t rev. A Cummins howling at 2900 rpm up hill gives a new meaning to a screaming engine. Between that and the potential for horrendous repair costs, I went back to gas. My new 2020 7.3 powered F-250 makes very easy work of towing our trailer. Very quiet and vibration free. Not even a hint of a desire for another diesel.

I don't dispute your thoughts but if 2003 is the last time you owned/experienced a diesel, a lot has changed since then.
On the other hand, I think some of us diesel guys have outdated thoughts/memories of how a gasser performs when towing.

Yes: the potential repair bills have gotten MUCH larger! For the cost of a bad HPFP, a failed exhaust filter, or a bad turbocharger on a diesel, you can put a rebuilt engine in a gas truck.

John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ">
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Jarlaxle

New England

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/21 09:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Jarlaxle wrote:

Don't forget to add the various ways any 2008+ diesel can dump enormous bills in your lap with no warning. Say, an exhaust filter (sell your first-born), an injection pump ($1500+), new injectors ($2000+), perhaps a turbocharger ($4000+ even if it doesn't blow up anything else).

Waaaaaaa....stop buying Fords...lol!

No value troll post.

Jarlaxle

New England

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/21 09:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

What deafening noise? Maybe if your exhaust is rusted out.

Our V10 is smooth and quiet. You can hear the change in pitch when you get up to 3000rpm but nothing deafening.

Talk of 5500rpm is just trying to sooth his ego to justify why he paid so much more for a diesel.

Again, you have to figure that you only tow a 7,500 lb trailer with a V10 which any half ton on the market can do(even the 3.0L diesels). One can say pulling such a small load with a V10 that is rated to tow 15k is soothing an ego just to justify a gaser. Start pulling closer to that V10's max ratings up hills at higher speeds than 60 mph(if you can even get there) and you will know what 5,500 rpm sounds like.

You mean like the thousands upon thousands of large class A motorhomes that use the V10?

ShinerBock

LVTX

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/21 12:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jarlaxle wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

What deafening noise? Maybe if your exhaust is rusted out.

Our V10 is smooth and quiet. You can hear the change in pitch when you get up to 3000rpm but nothing deafening.

Talk of 5500rpm is just trying to sooth his ego to justify why he paid so much more for a diesel.

Again, you have to figure that you only tow a 7,500 lb trailer with a V10 which any half ton on the market can do(even the 3.0L diesels). One can say pulling such a small load with a V10 that is rated to tow 15k is soothing an ego just to justify a gaser. Start pulling closer to that V10's max ratings up hills at higher speeds than 60 mph(if you can even get there) and you will know what 5,500 rpm sounds like.

You mean like the thousands upon thousands of large class A motorhomes that use the V10?

Yeah, like this one which is on this class A that is only 22k. Just hear how "quiet" that engine isn't and how they get 6mpg versus double that in their past diesel class A.

Our Gas RV Experience – Noise, Ride & Performance

Vallhalla is only towing 14.5k combined so of course his will not have to scream as loud as something that is 22k combined like mine is when towing my RV and hardly ever goes above 2k rpm towing it.

* This post was edited 04/29/21 12:59pm by ShinerBock *

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/21 12:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jarlaxle wrote:

Yes: the potential repair bills have gotten MUCH larger! For the cost of a bad HPFP, a failed exhaust filter, or a bad turbocharger on a diesel, you can put a rebuilt engine in a gas truck.

While you're correct, the diesel component repairs you mention are more expensive or even something that wouldn't be encountered with a gas rig, it's a gross exaggeration to even compare the cost of replacing any one or even 2 of those components apples to apples with the cost of say replacing an entire engine in a modern HD pickup.

I could pay 3x as much for a part at the dealer and 2x as much for dealer labor to replace and compare it to pulling my own LS motor and getting it freshened up and re-installing myself, but apples to apples you're way off base.

Question is what do you want or need or prefer?

I can ride a bicycle even cheaper than a Ford V10...

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/21 12:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jarlaxle wrote:

No value troll post.

Fair assessment, if you can show where you post really anything other than incessant bitsching about diesels!
Pot met kettle!
Cheers man!

Devo the dog

Moved out of crazy California

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/21 01:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Oh well, shoot , if I knew you could get your oil changed for less than $30 ida bought a gasser.....hey, check your calendar, it’s not 1985 any more...
Some of you guys are so full of ____. You can’t even buy the oil and filter for les than $30.....
Why is this place like who can make up the biggest story?

Because the majority of diesel owners lie and the majority of cummins owners lie more than any of them.

BTW, I have a stack of unused filters for the V10 that I bought years ago. So, an oil change costs me about $30 per year.

On the other hand, the oil, oil filter and fuel filters for the Ram was expensive in comparison. It didn't matter to me though because I knew in advance.

Someday, I'll replace the plugs on the V10 again. But based on the miles I drive it, it won't need plugs until 2030, at the soonest. In comparison, I bet the Ram will have a few new owners, a bunch of recalls, a new AC system, etc. Furthermore, everyone of them will brag about towing 20,000 lbs up 15% grades at 80 mph, while getting 25 mpg. Then, they'll brag about selling it for more than they paid for it. LOL.

The dodge fan boys hate the dodge/ram dealerships. Now that I have owned a Mexican Fiat Oui-Oui (La fiat wee-wee), I understand why.
The only thing more incompetent than Ram is Bye-don and his supporters.

mlh

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/29/21 02:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone else notice how every time the discussion gets into vehicle comparisons or capabilities, three people on the rv.net forum are always right and are condescending to everyone who doesn't agree? Its getting old.

2021 Ram 2500 Crew, 6.4, 4x4
2019 Puma 29QBSS
Equalizer weight distribution and sway control

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 3/4 ton diesel vs. gas
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.