RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RVing in Canada and Alaska: Free Immunizations to Tourists

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Free Immunizations to Tourists

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
fullmoonoversalem

Alaska

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/21 10:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know if you have heard about this, but Alaska is planning to offer free immunizations to tourists. News article

2017 Coachmen Galleria

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/21 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not sure what the average length of time a tourist spends in AK is but I suspect it's two weeks or less. RVing might be different but highly unlikely many RVers would go to the airport just to get a shot. That said I don't see this as being all that helpful as it takes two weeks before the shots become effective. Then the recipient has to schedule their second shot elsewhere. Right now 8% of the US first shot recipients are already failing to get their 2nd shot.

New Hampshire is offering shots to anyone over the age of 16 regardless of where they live. I believe there are a number of other states doing the same. It makes sense to go out of state if it's accessible but not sure that applies to AK since so many fly there and the shots are at the airport.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

RetiredRealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/21 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just get your shots wherever you call home and carry your immunization card with you. Easy as that.

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/21 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless they are targeting the foreign market...most states are wide open for anyone 16 or older.

If they are targeting the foreign market, are they planning to reimburse the federal govt who bought the shots for US citizens?

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/21 07:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm confused... I thought the shot was free for anyone in the US. Who's going to AK to get a free shot. And, its the first shot. What about the 2nd? How about they throw in free airfare, then I would go just to get the shot and maybe stay a couple weeks...

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/21 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AK is just trying to get rid of inventory!
They can’t give away enough shots here even in Seattle to fill the appointments available.
Any guesses why?
Because the paranoia isn’t en Vogue anymore....

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/21 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

AK is just trying to get rid of inventory!
They can’t give away enough shots here even in Seattle to fill the appointments available.
Any guesses why?
Because the paranoia isn’t en Vogue anymore....

This ^^^^. Alaska is having a hard time getting the majority of folks to vaccinate: many of the remote villages are seeing pretty high vax rates, but in the big population centers, lots of skepticism is leading to lots of leftover vaccinations.

On top of which, of the XXX places that provide the vax service, probably 80% require an appointment...so if one is not terribly energized to get the shot, then has to schedule an appointment, thus taking time off work or whatever....the shot just doesn't happen.

Offering the shot to incoming travelers also helps them (the travelers) deal with the many local governments that require either a shot or a two-week quarantine before entering. It may not be logical, but there it is.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/29/21 04:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some states are now offering walk-in clinics. At this point I think that's a great idea. Some people just don't know their schedules and to have to be somewhere at specific date and time is difficult. And some people just can't plan to save their lives LOL!

2g's

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/21 12:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't understand what good their idea will do. The tourists could already get Covid enroute to Alaska via the planes or cruise ships.

Galvanizd

Puerto Penasco Mexico.... For a bit.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/02/21 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yup, just get that shot and carry your proof. Course you still can't travel, got to wear a mask, can't gather in crowds, have to isolate, can't use the gym, playground, schools....but yeah get vacinated.

Interesting, reminds me of some countries I traveled to when i was in the military and some i just read about

* This post was edited 05/02/21 10:06am by Galvanizd *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Free Immunizations to Tourists
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.