|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> One Great Big EV Thread

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 31  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
atreis

IN

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/21 09:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For both BEV and H2 the benefit is a layer of indirection. The energy used to move the car isn't, in and of itself, a source of CO2. How that energy is produced could be, but doesn't have to be. Both provide the same long term theoretical benefit in terms of CO2 reduction, as the source moves from fossil fuel production to cleaner methods. For me personally, I consider both to be fine sources of motive power.

The main benefit to me of a BEV over H2 fuel cell is: 1. I can easily buy one today. 2. I can easily refuel/charge one today. That's not true for H2, and so that alone gives BEV the edge. There's no need to wait.

2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/21 10:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Biden Test Drive F150 All-Electric Lightning

A repost from the Semi Tesla thread. In case this is actually the right venue.

Anyone else stoked about Ford's unveiling of all electric F150?

Politics aside, with Biden on the photo driving it, if his program to accelerate the adoption of EV, F150, the best selling vehicle ever, will be the one to do it. It just depends on it's competitive advantage, consumer acceptance (already a given but to include the all electric version) and how quickly they can re-tool and achieve scale.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/21 10:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bobbo wrote:

BCSnob wrote:

What percentage of hydrogen fuel will be green by 2024 (phase 1 of the Vulcan plan)?

I absolutely love it when proponents of BEV, technology and infrastructure still years away, put down other technologies because technology and infrastructure is years away.

Seriously, nobody is saying that. In fact, BEV proponents are wishing them success.

But also pointing technological limitations as the ICE fan bois has done and have been doing since a decade ago and despite the track records of exponential jump and knocking down of these challenges.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/21 10:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BCSnob wrote:

Hmmmmm, the cleanest source of hydrogen currently being made (0.1% of the hydrogen) is by electrolysis mostly using the grid to drive the reaction; 99.9% comes from steam reforming of fossil fuels. How is this different than plugging a BEV into the grid, in terms of zero tailpipe emissions?

It is different because it is more polluting. If you have to use fossil fuels for energy it is inherently bad. And I include Bev's.

If you can afford a Tesla you can afford a solar panel system to charge it, space permitting.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/21 10:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No offense, but I think you need to check out the meaning of "exponential". The advances of EV's have not been exponential by any means. Just a gradual improving of range and charge capacity.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/21 10:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

No offense, but I think you need to check out the meaning of "exponential". The advances of EV's have not been exponential by any means. Just a gradual improving of range and charge capacity.

I will, if you also look at the meaning of hair-splitting..

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/21 11:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EEaaassyyyy folks.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/21 11:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting to see what is happening visa a vi recycling.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/energy/batteri........ly-takes-off-in-north-america-and-europe

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/21 11:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

I will, if you also look at the meaning of hair-splitting..

Reality needs to be brought to the table..

[image]

That is a 1898 Riker Electric vehicle, designed and built by Andrew Riker.

1.5 Kw fully enclosed an water proof electric motor driven was capable of 40 MPH and range was 25 Miles to 50 miles per charge depending on speed and terrain.

Battery was 80V consisting 2V lead acid cells.

That car when new was about $2200 which adjusting for inflation over the yrs equivalent to $93,000 in modern days money

Full story HERE

In 1901 a Riker racer won land speed record of 60 MPH..

So, reality is it took 120+ years to get an electric vehicle capable of speeds above 100 MPH and a charge range of 200 miles and todays cost of $50K+..

At this rate it may take another 100 yrs to get an EV get the same range as my F250 empty mileage of 500 miles..

Folks act like EVs are new thing, they are not, literally thousands of manufacturers had built at least one EV from 1880s into the early 1920s..

All with the same issue, battery range and cost..

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/21 12:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How much R&D effort was put into BEVs and ICEs between 1900 and today? If the amount for both were the same I’d buy your argument; I suspect orders of magnitude more effort was put into ICEs which would make your argument not so valid. I wonder where BEVs will be after they have received the same amount of R&D as your current ICE?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 31  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> One Great Big EV Thread
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.