|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> New Fords Weigh Themselves

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
BurbMan

Noblesville, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/30/21 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting article from Truck Camper Magazine on the new F-150s that will have built in weight sensors. You can get an accurate payload number from the infotainment screen, your smartphone app, or from the tail lights. The tail lights have 4 "bars" that light up like a battery gauge that tell you from the outside when you are loading the truck when it has reached 25%, 50%, 75% and 100% of rated payload. Once you exceed payload, the tail lights blink.

TC magazine opines that this function will be added to SuperDutys next year and that other mfrs will follow suit.

I wonder if there will be a way to override the blinking tail lights when running overloaded? It's not a stretch to picture this tied into the PCM so that the truck won't start if it's overloaded, or maybe is limited to 5mph "limp" mode when loaded over the GVWR.

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/21 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I wonder if there will be a way to override the blinking tail lights when running overloaded?

What will happen when you add airbags, or any other mods to the suspension?
How is it done technically?

2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/21 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have seen millions interesting inventions, that did not make it in real life, so will watch it.
To my knowledge accurate sensors who can be installed on vehicle don't exist, so if Ford invented it, good for them.

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/21 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

I have seen millions interesting inventions, that did not make it in real life, so will watch it.
To my knowledge accurate sensors who can be installed on vehicle don't exist, so if Ford invented it, good for them.

They are commonly used in commercial trucks, here's just one example

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/21 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Springs and scales don't mix real well. OTOH, a pressure gauge with leveling valve can get spot on with air suspension. (good enough that when mine would read FAT, I would dump suspension, close a valve when read legal, then air up. Want to ticket me? Use your scale!)
If I bought a new pickup I would worry this info would be recorded, used to deny warranty repair.
Years back somebody rented a truck from Home Depot to take their stuff home. Stopped to pick up some rock. When got close to what we loaded on pickup a horn started to honk.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/21 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just about all logging trucks have scales and they can be quite accurate..

BurbMan

Noblesville, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/30/21 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Years back somebody rented a truck from Home Depot to take their stuff home. Stopped to pick up some rock. When got close to what we loaded on pickup a horn started to honk.

Happened to me when I loaded on this Lance to get it home. What I found out is that the horn stops honking when you put it in Drive.... stop and put it back in Park and the horn starts up again LOL

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/30/21 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joerg68 wrote:

Quote:

I wonder if there will be a way to override the blinking tail lights when running overloaded?

What will happen when you add airbags, or any other mods to the suspension?
How is it done technically?

Unless you get an engineer to review, sign off and apply for a new rating based on the modifications...the official rating hasn't changed when you add airbags, so I doubt Ford would be interested in letting owners change the limits in the system.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/21 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Of course, the ratings do not change when I modify the suspension*. The truck doesn't know anything has changed.
But depending on the engineering solution to determine the weight, the values registered by the truck may now be grossly inaccurate. Thats why I am curious to know how they do it. For example, if pressure readings from TPMS sensors is used, it is difficult to calculate the load when the vehicle is not on a flat surface. At least that is what the control circuit of my truck's airbags has me believe...

*) At the risk of derailing the thread: Here in Germany, the registration document lists the axle weight ratings and GVWR, among many other things. Invariably, it has the values from the door sticker. Changes can be made, but are very difficult to obtain, with all the required documentation being in a foreign language, if it exists at all. The values in the registration document are binding; if you exceed the numbers when you are weighed (which can and does happen), you are in trouble and may have to unload your camper to continue. Exact regulations vary from country to country, Germany usually accepts 5% over, other countries are more strict.
It is always fun to read how relaxed this is seen in the US. Be glad for what you have, believe me.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/21 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

Just about all logging trucks have scales and they can be quite accurate..

+- 300 lb ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> New Fords Weigh Themselves
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.