|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Help Ram 2500 6.4 gas vs diesel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/21 07:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP wrote:

My truck with the 6.4 has (off the top of my head) trailering capacity of 12900lbs and payload of 3060 lbs and the diesel has a trailering capacity of about 17000lbs but a payload of only around 2200lbs. What I really need to figure out is is my 6.4 gas going to do ok with the 5th (we may go over to south Carolina to visit relatives and such at times) or is the Cummins going to do better. The payload concerns me because if I stay under that by the time I get a 5th ight enough to do well with it it won't be any bigger than the one the fastest would pull. But then our family member seems to be doing well with his. I don't know maybe one of you guys can help me out

Your family member's Ram/Cummins does just fine 'cause he doesn't get caught up in rv website blather about need a 3500 one ton truck for a 12k-13k 5th wheel trailer.

A 2500 with the Cummins or 6.4 gas has the same 6000 RAWR that will be carrying all the trailers hitch load/the hitch and other gear in the bed.
Looking at Ram Body Builders guide show the 2500 truck with a 6.4 gas engine rear axle weighs 51 lbs lighter than the same exact truck with the Cummins.
So the Cummins or 6.4 gas has about the same in the bed payloads.

Most 2500 newer gen Rams rear axle weights I've seen run in the 2900/3000 lb range leaving around 3000/3100 lb in the bed payload = some 13k lb 5th wheel trailers.
You have the truck so get separate axle weights. That way you will know exactly how much trailer hitch weight you should be looking at.

Of course the Cummins has a huge advantage over the 6.4 gas engine in any size Ram/Dodge truck. The 17k tow rating isn't a problem with the Cummins but trailers that size has way too much pin weight for a 3/4 ton truck.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/02/21 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jastrong wrote:

Sjm9911 wrote:

I would look for a TT for now, make sure you like camping. One rental, may not be the best judge. I have never pulled a fith wheel but the TT when set ul properly are not that bad to pull at all. Maybe your experience was centered around the rental? You can always get something bigger later.

I'm considering renting some different sizes. From what I can tell the things that I wasn't so happy with with the TT i tried seem to be different with a 5er so that's why I've been kind of leaning in that direction

Well why not start woth the not likes first? No one can recomend something if they dont know what you want. I never rented a camper either. But they probably dont set the wdh perfectly. If at all. If its more room you need then maybe the 5 er will work. But for 2 adults and a kido, smaller might also work for now. It's all about what you expect and want vs whats needed. I will say , having a kid, that less might be better. Its hard to keep stuff orderly in the camper.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

mtofell1

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/21 09:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The tranny in your Hemi has terrible gear spacing for heavy loads. I know because I have the same truck with an 11,000# 5th wheel and it's not a great experience. The Hemi is a beast but the tranny REALLY holds it back. New 8spd with Hemi is reported to be a real game changer.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/21 11:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2500 is fine but need to supplement the coil springs with probably any 5ver no different gas to diesel.
7000-7200lbs is your real world rawr based on the weakest component. Rims/tires. Again, no different gas to diesel. Regardless of the 10k gvw your 2500 is sporting. Axle itself is good for 10klbs.
Hemi = half the torque or less of a comparable Cummins. Hemi will pull a 12k 5ver. 65rfe is a reliable transmission with poor gear splits for heavy towing. 4.10s make it more acceptable but still noticeable. Not that the 68rfe behind a 2500 diesel is anything to write home about. But the diesel has the torque to mask some of it.

12k 5ver+ Hemi = Right lane and loosing speed up grades with a 12klb house behind it.
Diesel = Let er rip
How good are you at driving slowly?
And where are you towing?

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/03/21 12:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jastrong wrote:

I had considered 3500 SRW but that's (as far as I can tell) be out of our price range at least for similar age a mileage

Go to a sight like Car Gurus and put in a distant like 500 miles. We drove about 350 miles to get our 2016 Ram 3500 DRW.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

mudfuel07

North Florida!

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/21 05:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just had the same dilemma. Was looking at a 2500 with the 6.4 and a 3500 with the 6.7. I was coming out of a 2500 with the 6.7. Both vehicles were 2020's. Even with the 8 speed in the 6.4, it still felt underpowered and slow. I wound up with the 3500 SRW. It has over 4300lbs of payload. Just keep looking. We pull a 38' TT and have no issues, didn't with the 2500 that I traded in either.

2018 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD 4x4 Laramie
2020 Puma by Palomino 32RBFQ for the kids!

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/03/21 06:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends heavily on what you are buying.

A 30ft or less 5er in the 10,000lb or less range will be fine with the big gas engine...as will a travel trailer of similar size.

By the time you get up around 15,000lb (loaded weight), you are in diesel territory.

In between, if it meets the trucks specs, it's more of a judgment call. Yeah, a diesel will out drag race the gas engine but you don't typically drag race with a big trailer on the back.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

packpe89

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/03/21 06:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is also much easier to fuel up on the trip with the diesel, utilizing truck stops instead of mingling with cars at the gas pumps.
I am in a similar boat, want a fifth for some long trips in a couple of years (retirement). Just got a 2500 megacab with CTD, so payload is only 1900#. I'll probably look for a lighter (7.5-10K fifth). The megacab does have a heavier rear axel, so think I'll be ok with those weights. I have seen the same truck towing much larger and looks to have no problem, but don't want to be that guy.

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/21 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would first want to know what trailer I was getting as that would be much more prudent than ending up having a marginal towing experience.

Know your pin weight, know your payload, make educated decisions.

If your not brand loyal and prefer to stick with a gas engine that has loads of upside then also consider a 7.3l Ford with 4.30 gears.

Hope you find the right combo for your family.

jmtandem

western nevada

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/21 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have had both a 2500 and now a 3500 Ram Cummins. Get the 3500 for payload and if you are planning to tow over 10,000 pounds get the diesel. If payload is a huge consideration then get the 3500 Cummins dually. When it comes to towing you almost cannot have too much truck. Lots of good advice here about figuring out what you plan to tow before you decide on another truck or keeping what you have.

'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Help Ram 2500 6.4 gas vs diesel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.