RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Benefit of extra fuel tank.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Benefit of extra fuel tank.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/21 05:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

2 posts above I disagree with. and 2 I have been in that same Kroger in GA with my DP with the same trailer at 72ft no problem. I never had any store discount and put 100+ gallons in the DP.

What's there to disagree with. You could sit there and pump fuel until the tank under the driveway runs dry or your credit card stops working.

I said, you don't get unlimited "discounted" fuel.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/21 06:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Timmo! wrote:

Then again, apps like GasBuddy can lead you to the most affordable gas station, which coincidentally, are seldom right off the interstate. Last October, I saved a buck a gallon by driving 1.5 miles further into town, lol where the locals bought their gas.

Not always so easy when your overall length is 67'.
Bingo. That is one of the best reasons for a auxiliary fuel tank: you can fill up at the end of the day after you've dumped the trailer. I like being the one deciding where I'll fuel up, rather than the truck deciding, "Hey it's time to stop".

At the end of a long day of towing that's the last thing I want to do is get fuel. Most times I don't unhook when spending one night like tonight at the Elk's Campground.

Sure I pay more but honestly those days of tripping over every dime have long passed!!!

[image]

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/21 07:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

2 posts above I disagree with. 1- the big tanks do save a lot of money and 2 I have been in that same Kroger in GA with my DP with the same trailer at 72ft no problem. I never had any store discount and put 100+ gallons in the DP. It’s a choice and if you want to ride you have to buy fuel no matter what it costs.

Ya simply don't want to take chances when there are two trailers behind the tow vehicle considering access and egress.

[image]

LanceRKeys

Amarillo, TX

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/21 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For me it’s not about the money, it’s just about having one less thing to worry about while traveling. I start to get real nervous when I get down to 1/4 tank, if I can avoid that feeling I’m a much happier traveler.

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/04/21 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I was bucking a big head wind yesterday towing and managed to get 6.5 mpg. Barely made it to my usual fuel stop. I filled 31 gallons in a 32 gallon tank.

Headed North for the summer?

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it!

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/04/21 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

ferndaleflyer wrote:

2 posts above I disagree with. 1- the big tanks do save a lot of money and 2 I have been in that same Kroger in GA with my DP with the same trailer at 72ft no problem. I never had any store discount and put 100+ gallons in the DP. It’s a choice and if you want to ride you have to buy fuel no matter what it costs.

Ya simply don't want to take chances when there are two trailers behind the tow vehicle considering access and egress.

[image]

I would over the evening phan my morning fuel up if require with Google Earth, planning my route into and out of a filling station, when we towed the 39'4" 5th wheel.

Devo the dog

Moved out of crazy California

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/21 08:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I was bucking a big head wind yesterday towing and managed to get 6.5 mpg. Barely made it to my usual fuel stop. I filled 31 gallons in a 32 gallon tank.

The 2005 Ford V10 got 6.5 once time pulling in a headwind and pulling the same trailer in a headwind, the 2019 Ram HO diesel got 6.5. The only downside is that Ram's mpg is more sensitive to headwinds and sidewinds. The upside to the Ford is that it has a 36 gallon tank. The Ram is a wimpy 32 so the distance between fuel stops is about the same as the Ford V10 because the fuel mileage of the Ram is only a little better than the Ford pulling the same trailer.

The dodge fan boys hate the dodge/ram dealerships. Now that I have owned a Mexican Fiat Oui-Oui (La fiat wee-wee), I understand why.
The only thing more incompetent than Ram is Bye-don and his supporters.

LowRyter

OKC

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/21 10:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Funny story. I purchased my Duramax and it has 60 gallon tank in the bed (maybe really 40 + 24 factory). Anyway, my old hauler was a '99 Chevy 2500. When towing with '99 we'd go 125 miles and have to fill it. The diesel goes much further, even at 10mpg towing, I can perhaps make conservatively 650 - 750 miles.

I had filled the truck to the max months before the virus. But my campout was rained out. Then virus came and I must've gone 18 months on that tank.

The Duramax isn't my daily driver, or even my 3rd vehicle to drive. But when raining, I'd take it out.

* This post was edited 05/04/21 10:49pm by LowRyter *

John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/21 12:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Headed North for the summer?

Yes, gots to get the Boat ready for Shrimping on the 19th.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/21 12:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

ferndaleflyer wrote:

[image]

I would over the evening phan my morning fuel up if require with Google Earth, planning my route into and out of a filling station, when we towed the 39'4" 5th wheel.

Hmmmm, I don’t need fuel in the morning many times as it’s purely random what my fuel level is at the end of the towing day.

I get fuel as needed along the way.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Benefit of extra fuel tank.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.