RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Benefit of extra fuel tank.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Benefit of extra fuel tank.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/21 11:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

curt12914 wrote:

Just curious. Is this thread about fuel tanks or how high your trailer is ????

Or how many evening cocktails some have consumed.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

SweetLou

La Quinta, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/21 07:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

curt12914 wrote:

Just curious. Is this thread about fuel tanks or how high your trailer is ????

Or how many evening cocktails some have consumed.
Maybe they are Irish

2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

LanceRKeys

Amarillo, TX

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/21 03:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

S Davis wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

@Devo, no skin off my back, and you’re correct, no one with any sort of knowledge about thermodynamics or just good horse sense would disagree that heat rises, aerodynamics are more than partly attributable to frontal area and that the smaller, lighter of a trailer you’re pulling, generally the more economical it is on the fuel bill.

But instead you basically pee’d on every RV owner with a big camper as if your (big 40’ long double and triple axle trailers, which are both sweet btw) choices are somehow morally or physically superior to everyone else’s.
I find it mildly entertaining. Others probably only consider it poor behavior.

The spiteful part is your weird incessant jabbing at anything Ram related because you got either a lemon of a truck or a lemon of a dealer, or both. Anyone with half a brain would have understood that from your initial postings on the issue. But somehow, you got the notion to put down anyone who owns the same brand of truck that YOU bought as well, but are now having a bad experience with it.

A little nit picky but heat doesn’t rise heated air does, heat is omnidirectional and moves from a higher intensity to lower.

That is what I think every time someone says “heat rises” . I normally don’t say anything because it’s usually not worth explaining.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/21 03:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LanceRKeys wrote:

S Davis wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

@Devo, no skin off my back, and you’re correct, no one with any sort of knowledge about thermodynamics or just good horse sense would disagree that heat rises, aerodynamics are more than partly attributable to frontal area and that the smaller, lighter of a trailer you’re pulling, generally the more economical it is on the fuel bill.

But instead you basically pee’d on every RV owner with a big camper as if your (big 40’ long double and triple axle trailers, which are both sweet btw) choices are somehow morally or physically superior to everyone else’s.
I find it mildly entertaining. Others probably only consider it poor behavior.

The spiteful part is your weird incessant jabbing at anything Ram related because you got either a lemon of a truck or a lemon of a dealer, or both. Anyone with half a brain would have understood that from your initial postings on the issue. But somehow, you got the notion to put down anyone who owns the same brand of truck that YOU bought as well, but are now having a bad experience with it.

A little nit picky but heat doesn’t rise heated air does, heat is omnidirectional and moves from a higher intensity to lower.

That is what I think every time someone says “heat rises” . I normally don’t say anything because it’s usually not worth explaining.

Air even a little warmer than air around it will rise. Water even a little warmer than water around it will rise. Can you educated people name anything that can flow that does not follow that plan?
For that matter, hold a touch on a line on a piece of steel, the area above will turn red faster than below. It takes more coals on top of a DO then below to get the same temp.
Likely by 5th grade I was educated beyond my intelligence, but the level I live, heat rises

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/21 03:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dang, the smug is getting thick in here!

Good thing I can crank open a roof vent and let all that hot air out.

Cuz heat rises. [emoticon]

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/21 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FROM THE LECTURE SERIES: UNDERSTANDING THE MISCONCEPTIONS OF SCIENCE

"There are a lot of misconceptions and misunderstandings about thermodynamics. One of the most common one is the notion that heat rises. It’s said so often that it’s not even questioned by people. Though there is a kernel of truth in it, it’s just oversimplified to the extreme."

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

curt12914

Bombay NY (5 miles from Quebec, 15 from Ontario)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/07/21 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone stick to the post topic anymore ???

2021 F-350 Platinum 4X4 PSD SRW 2016 Montana 3950FL (2) Honda EU2000i's
...and a few (twenty-some, but other than my wife, no one is counting) antique Allis Chalmers tractors

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/21 05:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

curt12914 wrote:

Does anyone stick to the post topic anymore ???
Shoot, these forums would disappear if that happened. [emoticon] Thread drift is what keeps people coming back.

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/07/21 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

80 gallon transfer 1000+ mile range, I pick where I fuel and at what price. Even with the 2020 lock down and limited travel my yearly discount was just over $1000. Between NM and as a test Omaha NE, $3.12 high & $2.69 low is .49 a gallon differance $43 on a 100 gallon single fill. Yes the extra fuel can save big over a year, who would not want $40-50 off every fill all year?
Last month:
94.61 gallons x $2.707 = $313.61
Discount $57.52
Paid $256.09

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/07/21 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

"In my opinion, a heavy TALL RV is foolish. It has a tall roof, that contains air space you can't use."

Stop by some time and I will give you a tour. 5er's have to be tall if a 6'2" person wants to stand up in the upper bedroom area. Then our roofline stays level from there to the back and the cabinetry goes up to and near the ceiling giving us a lot of storage that is nice when living in the RV.

Besides who wants to feel like they are in a Cave.

We love the high ceiling and large windows in our 5th wheel.

[image]

[image]

[image]

Towing the bumper pull that weighed half as much did not result in much better mileage.

[image]

I carried a 6 gal diesel can off and on, and usually dumped it into the tank when I got to Arizona or back to Washington. The 2001.5 towing a lighter trailer and with a larger tank had better range. I considered the Titan replacement tank for the 2015, however it is gone now, so no longer as issue.

* This post was edited 05/07/21 08:28pm by Me Again *

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Benefit of extra fuel tank.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.