RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Benefit of extra fuel tank.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Benefit of extra fuel tank.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/21 11:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

curt12914 wrote:

Does anyone stick to the post topic anymore ???
Shoot, these forums would disappear if that happened. [emoticon] Thread drift is what keeps people coming back.

100% agree.

My opinion is don’t like go to the next thread.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/21 11:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again, again you one upped me!!! I have a 5 gallon tank and you just had to go 6 gallons.[emoticon]

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/08/21 08:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Me Again, again you one upped me!!! I have a 5 gallon tank and you just had to go 6 gallons.[emoticon]

Had it for years. I think it is still on one of my Rubbermaid box up North. It sat in the truck trunk just above the diesel fuel door. Did not even have to take it out of the box. My super siphon would worked great to transfer the fuel to the main tank.

[image]

https://www.amazon.com/Siphon-Original-Safety-Grade-Valve/dp/B01N5MTGQS/ref=asc_df_B01N5MTGQS/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312142020868&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4594070942908049709&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9030012&hvtargid=pla-524056062450&psc=1

Ford Edge ST Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 335HP and 380 Lb Ft - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome. Retired and enjoying it!

Timmo!

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/21 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another one that says YEP on large OEM tank.

(Formerly known as SPRey)
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/21 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Had it for years. I think it is still on one of my Rubbermaid box up North. It sat in the truck trunk just above the diesel fuel door. Did not even have to take it out of the box. My super siphon would worked great to transfer the fuel to the main tank.

[image]

https://www.amazon.com/Siphon-Original-Safety-Grade-Valve/dp/B01N5MTGQS/ref=asc_df_B01N5MTGQS/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312142020868&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4594070942908049709&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9030012&hvtargid=pla-524056062450&psc=1

Oh boy you've just made the list for the Minute Man Moderator attacks showing off that fuel can... [emoticon]

Sincerly,
The Troll Hunter

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"200k Mile Club"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

curt12914

Bombay NY (5 miles from Quebec, 15 from Ontario)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/21 06:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My truck has a 48 gallon tank. That's plenty for me.

2021 F-350 Platinum 4X4 PSD SRW 2016 Montana 3950FL (2) Honda EU2000i's
...and a few (twenty-some, but other than my wife, no one is counting) antique Allis Chalmers tractors

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/21 07:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My clipper has two tanks. Many clippers do - they were all installed aftermarket (2nd tank). Depending on how they are installed makes a big difference as to their benefits.

Some use the same intake and flow through one tank to the second tank. This means that the new fuel mixes with the old fuel when you fill. However, if you spring a leak, all the fuel is gone and the RV dead.

Mine has completely separate tanks with separate intakes. A switch on the dash determines which tank is used. I normally fill up both tanks before a trip. I drive on the front tank until it is about 50 percent. Then I switch to the rear tank and run it until I get to my destination or 50 percent. Then I fill both tanks again. This means I always have a half tank as a security measure. Because of its age, the rear tank doesn't flow well when it hits about a quarter tank so this ensures I use both tanks but have the front tank as my "going uphill rear tank issue" backup.

All that is great, but I could deal with one tank fine.

Where the 2nd tank has really come in handy is when damage occurs. When camping, a rock punctured my front tank and the fuel was gone. I was able to switch to the rear tank and get home on my own instead of needing a tow (after my trip of course).

When thieves stole my clipper, they slashed the intake line of the front tank to steal all the fuel. They didn't realize there were two tanks, so when I got it back, I was able to drive on the rear tank until I got that line fixed.

There's more to a good second tank than just "more fuel - fewer stops".

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

OkieGene

oklahoma city

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/21 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For those of you who couldn't see the benefit of extra fuel, look today at gas stations in the Eastern US. Due to the Colonial Pipeline issue, what is happening to those who need fuel and are unable to get it? Let alone paying the increased cost of fuel if they can get some.

Anyone? Anyone> Bueller??? Bueller???

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/21 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OkieGene wrote:

For those of you who couldn't see the benefit of extra fuel, look today at gas stations in the Eastern US. Due to the Colonial Pipeline issue, what is happening to those who need fuel and are unable to get it? Let alone paying the increased cost of fuel if they can get some.

Anyone? Anyone> Bueller??? Bueller???

Let me see, maybe I should haul a extra 500 lbs around for the life of my truck because something might happen?
If that tank was MT when the attack happened all it would do is give you a better chance to hoard fuel.

OkieGene

oklahoma city

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/21 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^^^^^^ "do is give you a better chance to hoard fuel." ^^^^^^^^^^^

That wasn't very nice, was it? No need to get snarky.

I'm thinking of those people who have a small fuel tank in their rig and can't get to another station to get fuel.

What the heck is wrong with that?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Benefit of extra fuel tank.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.