|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Workamping Forum

Open Roads Forum  >  Workamping Forum

> Volunteer camphost needed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/03/21 04:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cptqueeg wrote:

GDS-3950BH wrote:

snip....You are correct though, Rocky never had any say in the important stuff, that was Bullwinkles job.

That is funny stuff right there! ROFLOL

Yes, best one in a while. So sad that many will say "who"?

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

phil-t

Ogdensburg, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/03/21 06:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

rk911 wrote:

the last time we looked into hosting...and it was a while...illinois considered the "free" campsite as taxable income. best to check.

It's not just Illinois. Federal and pretty much any state with an income tax consider it income.

Look up Barter rules with the IRS. You are supposed to estimate the value of the goods and services received and record that as income (minus any allowable deductions).

LOL, Governments absolutely hate bartering. They get no $$$$. And "estimating value of a benefit given in exchange for labor", leaves a big wide open window for that estimation. I don't know what the current USA estimates are on loss of taxes to barter but I bet it's a BIG number.

2010 Winnebago Vista 32k on a 2009 Ford F53 22k chassis

stickdog

Somewhere, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/21 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

rk911 wrote:

the last time we looked into hosting...and it was a while...illinois considered the "free" campsite as taxable income. best to check.

It's not just Illinois. Federal and pretty much any state with an income tax consider it income.

Look up Barter rules with the IRS. You are supposed to estimate the value of the goods and services received and record that as income (minus any allowable deductions).

May want to look at that again. We volunteer 8 months per year and always with state or federal agencies.
These are not bartering arrangements. Look under IRS rules for volunteer regulations and you will find something different when volunteering with a non-profit.
If you're trading work for a site with a profit oriented business that is bartering and taxable income.
We have received a stipend from federal agencies and that is a reportable income.

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/03/21 02:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stickdog wrote:

May want to look at that again. We volunteer 8 months per year and always with state or federal agencies.
These are not bartering arrangements. Look under IRS rules for volunteer regulations and you will find something different when volunteering with a non-profit.
If you're trading work for a site with a profit oriented business that is bartering and taxable income.
We have received a stipend from federal agencies and that is a reportable income.

Can't find anything on the IRS site suggesting this and I've come across a few private websites that say the rules are no different.

Do you have a link to the IRS rules you speak of?

Of course, for most people looking to work camp to save (ie: barter) for a site, they aren't making enough for the IRS to care to chase them down. More an issue of flying under the radar as opposed to being strictly within the rules.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/03/21 04:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“Federal and pretty much any state with an income tax consider it income.“

You can pay an employee money or you can pay for their selected expenses...it’s still INCOME!

Income is taxable. Accounting 101.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

HappyKayakers

Somewhere in the USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/21 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

stickdog wrote:

Can't find anything on the IRS site suggesting this and I've come across a few private websites that say the rules are no different.

Of course, for most people looking to work camp to save (ie: barter) for a site, they aren't making enough for the IRS to care to chase them down. More an issue of flying under the radar as opposed to being strictly within the rules.

Check IRS Pub 15-B, partially quoted below:
Lodging on Your Business Premises
You can exclude the value of lodging you furnish to an
employee from the employee's wages if it meets the following tests.
• It is furnished on your business premises.
• It is furnished for your convenience.
• The employee must accept it as a condition of employment.

Many campgrounds/RV parks get into hot water with the IRS when they have workampers and locals doing the same job. That negates the conditions listed above.

Joe and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch
Campground Tees

stickdog

Somewhere, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/21 11:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

stickdog wrote:

A non-profit may furnish housing and minimal compensation. Under IRS rules these are non taxable.
Clothing specifically for the job, uniforms, safety equipment are non taxable.

I don't know where you get your information but it certainly isn't from the IRS.

Wife and I are starting our 23 volunteer gig. We each contribute 25 hrs a week. Those hours are valued by the IRS at $27.50, so we are donating $1,375 in value for a FHU site.
Tell me I'm beating the Taxman.
Then there are the 2500 miles we traveled to get here. Now the milage rate for volunteers is $0.14 per mile but then I don't get to take that because I'm a full-time RVer.

We don't do this for a free site. When I was working I wrote a check I didn't have time to volunteer. Now I and the wife have the time and yes we volunteer at places we think will give us an enjoyable time on our off days.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Workamping Forum

> Volunteer camphost needed
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Workamping Forum

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.