|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Garmin RV GPS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/21 07:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was all set to buy one to replace my older Garmin, right up until I read that traffic data comes from your phone. I really really don't want to link my phone to the Garmin. While my old garmin doesn't have lifetime maps, it does have traffic. I actually used it today when WAZE was advising me to get off the freeway, I pulled the Garmin out, and put it up. Garmin agreed, so alt route it was.

My new 5th wheel is tall, legal max height tall! Do I need or want the RV GPS?

Trackrig

Spent the summer in Conconuly, Wa, MH now in Vanco

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/21 08:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Which model are you looking at? None of my 760s or 770s need my phone for traffic up dates.

Bill

Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/21 08:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seem's like Waze, Google Maps and Garmin all use the EXACT SAME sources.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/04/21 08:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The RV890 uses cell phone data for Traffic and weather and for map and software upgrades. And it must be connected to the power supply that magnetically holds the unit. A USB cable will not do the job.
I mainly stay out of cities and so we do not especially worry about traffic updates, and I would connect to my phone hotspot for brief periods if I was.
Otherwise for 90% of its functions it does not need the phone.
I was a long time GPS resister preferring software on a notebook, but the RV890 has me converted so far.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/21 01:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

I was all set to buy one to replace my older Garmin, right up until I read that traffic data comes from your phone. I really really don't want to link my phone to the Garmin. While my old garmin doesn't have lifetime maps, it does have traffic. I actually used it today when WAZE was advising me to get off the freeway, I pulled the Garmin out, and put it up. Garmin agreed, so alt route it was.

My new 5th wheel is tall, legal max height tall! Do I need or want the RV GPS?

I have a Garmin 780 and I do link it to my phone for traffic, but I've found that its traffic reports are not nearly as good as what I see in Google Maps. But I do like the routing and UI of the 780, especially for searching to see what services are at upcoming exits.

So I use both my phone and the Garmin while driving, I primarily use the Garmin for navigation, but refer to my phone when it reports traffic or when I'm nearing a city and looking for the best way to avoid traffic.

If I had to decide again whether or not to buy the Garmin even though I have navigation on my phone, I probably would - the other advantage of the Garmin is that it works anywhere, even when I have no cell service.

Scottiemom

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/21 04:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just purchased and received the new Garmin 785. I've been setting it up and putting addresses in, but haven't used it for travel yet. I really prefer the Rand McNally RV GPS, but I've had 3 and they all have failed. When you are on the road and it says "No GPS" you are screwed. One I sent back and received a replacement and it works "most" of the time, but I guess I have to say they are unreliable. I've had a Garmin fail as well, but it was years. . . and I mean many years old.

This Garmin has a dash cam and traffic as well. My DH recently passed away and I wanted a unit that multitasked, since I don't have my navigator with me anymore. Gone are the days when he would sit in the passenger seat and have a split screen on his laptop showing GPS and weather/traffic, etc.

Dale

Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

2014 Ford Flex
2004 R-Vision Trail-lite 213 (MinnieMee)
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
Where are we?

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/05/21 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Scottiemom wrote:

I just purchased and received the new Garmin 785.

Dale

The new Garmin for RVs is the RV890

vermilye

Oswego, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/05/21 02:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Both the 8" 890 & the 10" 1090 are Android tablets modified by Garmin. They have a built in browser, and can be updated over WiFi (you do not need a computer to update software or maps). I agree with agesilaus - the 890 is the best Garmin I've had. The large screen shows far more off track information than the typical Garmin - reminds me of the old Street Atlas.

Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
My Photo & RV link blog

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/05/21 05:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After spending a small fortune on Garmin GPS's over the years and looking at a new Garmin for RV's I decided to try the Copilot RV APP. You can input the ht of your RV and it will also avoid propane restricted tunnels. It came with active traffic for 3 mos or so. I paid $6.99 on sale about 10 years ago and still use it. Maps are automatically up dated unlike my old Garmin's. There may be better APP's for RV travel now, but bottom line I would not go back to a dedicated GPS like Garmin. I have an old I pad with a much bigger screen than my I Phone that I have used several times but I like the phone better.

Scottiemom

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/21 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

Scottiemom wrote:

I just purchased and received the new Garmin 785.

Dale

The new Garmin for RVs is the RV890

Well, I got a new Garmin 785. . . perhaps not the latest, but it was the size I wanted and it has all the features of the 890.

Dale

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Garmin RV GPS
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.