RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: House Batteries Disconnect Switch & Inverter

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> House Batteries Disconnect Switch & Inverter

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
gemsworld

Arizona West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/05/21 08:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi folks. I just purchased a new Newmar gasser, and as I was getting familiarized with the coach, I discovered the 1,200 watt Xantrex inverter will come on when the batteries are disconnected at the kill switch. I was under the impression the battery disconnect switch would completely cut off all connections to the batteries.

I have owned other coaches in the past with inverters but it never occurred to me to turn on the inverter with the house batteries disconnected. Are inverters supposed to bypass the batteries kill switch?

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/21 08:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, A CORRECTLY installed Inverter/Charger ALWAYS bypasses the Disconnect for the Coach batteries. The Inverter/Charger is connected direct from the Coach Batteries to the Inverter. The main reason is simple. MOST battery disconnect solenoids are rated at 100 amps. There are a few in larger RV's that have a 200 amp disconnect solenoid. When INVERTING, the amp draw current can easily exceed 200 amps if powering a large appliance. Which you do NOT want thru a Disconnect solenoid. This is why it is critical for RVer's to ALWAYS check the status of the Inverter when storing the RV or taking it in for service. I will bet 75% of the Motorhomes that are in for work at my Shop, the Inverters are left on and after a few days the coach batteries are dead. Doug

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/21 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's why I installed battery disconnect switches on the battery posts for both banks.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/21 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With kilowatt or larger (i'm not sure of the cut off) inverters and inverter/chargers the STANDARD way of hooking them up is the following

Inverter--Batteries---T--Switch--Housew

The T (Tap) is for thigns that need to be powered FULL time no cut off.

Same for Inverter/Chargers.

WHY 1500 watts is about 150 amps draw from the batteries (NOTE I know that is not accurate but.. Well it is downright close by the time you figure in conversion loss and so on it's amazingly close up to about 1000 watts and not far off above that) and that is a bit hard on the Cut off switch.

Also the inverter needs to be as close as is physically possible to keep the very expensive per foot big 00 ga cables short.

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

gemsworld

Arizona West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/06/21 04:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the replies. I assumed all along the kill switch disconnected everything, including the inverter.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/21 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also, Some RV's the LP and CO2 detectors are NOT connected thru the Kill switch solenoid. Basic rule of thumb is, the Kill switch is for short term disconnect. The BEST way for long term is to remove the Negative cables on both Battery Banks. IF you do not have 120 Shore available for long term storage. Doug

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/21 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If that inverter is this one, it says:

"Back-up Capability with exceptionally fast transfer time just like the UPS - If incoming shore power is interrupted by external events like brownouts, the Freedom X automatically becomes an independent power source that supplies utility grade AC power to your loads when installed with
DC battery"

IMO you don't want it to automatically come on whenever you disconnect shore power. That means with this model, you do need to be able to disconnect the DC input.

http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Power-I........erters/DS20170805_Freedom%20X%201200.pdf

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/21 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Besides the above my Magnum charger/inverter cannot be turned off. Pushing the off buttons places the unit in standby where it still uses some power.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/21 05:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

If that inverter is this one, it says:

"Back-up Capability with exceptionally fast transfer time just like the UPS - If incoming shore power is interrupted by external events like brownouts, the Freedom X automatically becomes an independent power source that supplies utility grade AC power to your loads when installed with
DC battery"

IMO you don't want it to automatically come on whenever you disconnect shore power. That means with this model, you do need to be able to disconnect the DC input.

http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Power-I........erters/DS20170805_Freedom%20X%201200.pdf

ALL RV Inverter/Charger's IF TURNED ON, will automatically transfer to Inv connected loads if there is a Shore/Genset loss of power. If you do NOT want this to happen just turn the Inverter switch OFF. Doug

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/21 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

Besides the above my Magnum charger/inverter cannot be turned off. Pushing the off buttons places the unit in standby where it still uses some power.

If turned OFF, then it will not come alive when there is a Shore/Genset loss of power. From the Magnum manual. 1st sentence. Doug

Inverter OFF – When the inverter is off, no power is used from the batteries to power the AC
loads, and the status LED will be off. If AC power from an external source (utility or generator) is
connected and qualifi ed on the inverter’s AC input, this AC input power passes through the inverter
to power the AC loads. However, if this AC power is lost, the AC loads are no longer powered
because the inverter is off.
When the inverter is turned on, it operates either by “searching” or “inverting”, depending on the
connected AC loads

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> House Batteries Disconnect Switch & Inverter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.