RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Can't overcome the fear of buying a Truck and TC.......

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Can't overcome the fear of buying a Truck and TC.......

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/21 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

covered wagon wrote:

It's great to have something you love doing so much that it keeps you off the couch and moving when old. An investment in yourself as I see it.

It has been wonderful for me, but please, if you find yourself being a bit impulsive about buying you should back away for 24 hours as many problems can be overlooked when your like that. The more you look and stay reserved, objective the more you'll ultimatly know when the right one is in front of you. You'll get smarter the more you keep looking.

The TC is an avenue for me to pursue hunting, fishing, and traveling. We have some really great options nearby to spend 2 or 3 days at a clip. I like being places at dawn and dusk w/out the drive before or after dodging deer and elk on the road. I'm sure I would enjoy the TC recognizing it's limitations.

happycamper1942

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/21 03:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree that buying a new truck and camper is a big investment but have you thought about buying used and trying it until you see if you like it? Admittedly used prices have increased because of the pandemic, here in Canada certainly, but there are still bargains to be found. You could buy a new truck and used camper, used truck and new camper or both used used.
And don't let age scare you, I am 78 and have just sold my 5th wheel and have a new camper on order[emoticon]

2008 Ford F350 crew cab short box PSD, 2021 TravelAir 90W camper

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/21 12:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm just a couple months from retiring. I have my good old 2000 F-250 and 2000 S&S TC. Both units are setup great. New engine, rebuilt suspension with heavier springs. Electrical connections between TC and Truck alternator, more solar and better batteries coming. I'll hang onto my trusty Truck and camper a couple more years before upgrading to something else used. Investments should be at a peak and great time to sell what you need to to get what you want. I'm selling a rental. I'm done with that and am looking forward to hitting the road and seeing all those things I want to see. Don't wait too long for tomorrow because tomorrow may have different plans.

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!
CITAP1 Jeff's YouTube Channel
A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/21 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“Don't wait too long for tomorrow because tomorrow may have different plans.”

Exactly, and to think that we are actually in control - lol [emoticon]

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/21 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I'm neck deep in it again, exploring every option, new and used. I have 6.5' bed Tundra I could put a four wheel camper on and there's a 2017 available at a decent price. I would be able to get my money out of it next spring in time to get the Hallmark and the truck.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/21 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cptqueeg wrote:

Well I'm neck deep in it again, exploring every option, new and used. I have 6.5' bed Tundra I could put a four wheel camper on and there's a 2017 available at a decent price. I would be able to get my money out of it next spring in time to get the Hallmark and the truck.

Sounds like an excellent option.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Hemi Joel

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/10/21 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perfect, Go for it!

2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/21 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It appears I'm still a little slow on the draw. I saw the ad 2 hours after it was posted last night, but waited till today to call and i think it's gone.

Hemi Joel

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/10/21 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In this market, strike when the iron is hot! If it sounds good, commit to buy it over the phone and ask them to hold it until you get there to ward of other buyers who will do the same. Tell then you will be there with cash with in X hours. When you get there, if it was misrepresented over the phone or in the ad, you can bail on them with a clean conscience. If it is good, you own it!

Reality Check

North Bend

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/21 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This has been a fantastic thread to read.

I'm in agreement with most; pushed the wife hard a few years ago to pull the plug and 'retire' from her regular job. It was the only thing keeping us from the longer travels we yearned for.

One needs enough money to make it to the finish line, whenever that might be, but you sure can't take it with you. I've never regretted a trip, time with a loved one, etc.

What a great read, great input, lot's to ponder and think about.

'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Can't overcome the fear of buying a Truck and TC.......
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.