RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Can't overcome the fear of buying a Truck and TC.......

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Can't overcome the fear of buying a Truck and TC.......

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/21 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reality Check wrote:

This has been a fantastic thread to read.

Ditto.

I am vicariously living via the OP except I am substituting Road King for TC.

Keep the comments and opinions coming.

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/21 03:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok Missed out on the 2017 FWC Hawk, I'm trying to get back in line w Hallmark now. I have camping gear to use while I wait!

Longshore

California

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/21 06:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is not always easy to realize that NOW is the time to shop for what you will be comfortable paying for. This is what I was experiencing. Retiring can be a bit stressful on its own, but with me I saved and invested, did okay, and just bought outright what I wanted. Talk about butterflies. But then was the time for me. The butterflies have turned into days spent getting the rig ready. GOOD TIMES AWAIT YOU!!

I just wished I didn't need specta to post my pics for me lol

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/21 08:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cptqueeg wrote:

Ok Missed out on the 2017 FWC Hawk, I'm trying to get back in line w Hallmark now. I have camping gear to use while I wait!

You’re healed!
Now find that camper.... camper!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/21 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok found a stopgap for the next year or 2. It will fit on my current truck, but am having some suspension work done to make sure it's good to go. The total weight of the new load is under the tire capacity so new tires are not needed. I feel pretty secure that I could turn around and sell the camper next year for about what I'm paying.

Still haven't heard anything from Hallmark besides the echos of laughter from 700 miles away. That's ok though they're busy as hell.

New GM trucks are available if you want to spend $75,000+ for all the useless junk that they are shipping then with. $1000 for iridescent white paint or $900 for sun roof for example. I even considered buying a 4500 or 5500 chassis cab and having the the DRW converted to SRW! Which isn't hard w Ford or Ram, but not that easy w GM afaik, but just starting my research on that.

All in all I'm spending about 20% of what I had planned to so perhaps I'll find out that a 6.5' pop up does the job and I won't have to go for the big bucks. In either case it's going to be another year before that would happen so maybe the outcome will be the for the best.

Anyway thanks for the encouragement!

* This post was edited 05/12/21 04:51pm by cptqueeg *

Hemi Joel

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/12/21 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great plan! I hope you enjoy truck camping as much as we do. But if you don't, you'll get out with your bank account still intact.

2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/14/21 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have one last large financial drain before retiring but try to balance living today with tomorrow's goals.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

jimh406

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/21 03:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only problem with buying new when you have lots of income/before retirement is that no matter how much money you have, those items still depreciate. If I had it to do over with, I would have bought less new items that depreciate, and saved that money to fix/repair items and watched it increase in value as investments that appreciated.

I don’t know about you guys but I sold/traded perfect condition cars/trucks/motorcycles/RVs/Boats more than once because I could and wanted something different. I’ve been able to find perfectly good vehicles used. I’m not saying that I’d never buy new. My Host was 5K more than a 5 year old one. So, not a hard an fast rule, but something to consider.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/21 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

...... I’ve been able to find perfectly good vehicles used. I’m not saying that I’d never buy new. My Host was 5K more than a 5 year old one. So, not a hard an fast rule, but something to consider.

When I went truck-shopping back in 2016, I found lot of used trucks with 30-40,000 miles selling in $50k range. They were at the end or past the warranty and in configurations that I consider not-TC friendly.
I finally decided to special order new truck for $56k who fit my needs like a glove and had options used trucks did not have, like 360 cameras and ultimate tow package.
The updated GPS sold for US, found small suburban street in Prince Rupert, BC without hesitation. Live traffic come very handy
The warranty cover oil pan gasket replacement, who require engine removal, so I can only guess what it would cost without warranty.

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/21 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

The only problem with buying new when you have lots of income/before retirement is that no matter how much money you have, those items still depreciate. If I had it to do over with, I would have bought less new items that depreciate, and saved that money to fix/repair items and watched it increase in value as investments that appreciated.

I don’t know about you guys but I sold/traded perfect condition cars/trucks/motorcycles/RVs/Boats more than once because I could and wanted something different. I’ve been able to find perfectly good vehicles used. I’m not saying that I’d never buy new. My Host was 5K more than a 5 year old one. So, not a hard an fast rule, but something to consider.

I really admire guys w the talent to trade and do well. It also seems to be the same group of guys can wield a wrench w authority. I am neither so I became a "buy and hold" owner of cars, trucks, houses, stocks, and most importantly wives!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Can't overcome the fear of buying a Truck and TC.......
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.