|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> First Long Road Trip

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Boomerweps

Hills of PA

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/21 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit do wrote:

Fortunately, you're mistaken. But in the "steering balance equation", whatever that is, how much difference does a couple hundred lbs above or below the unloaded FA weight make?

Odd turn of phrase. I seek enlightenment. I like strong opinions, I just like the data backing them up. Only have/had one WDH for a couple years but I’ve worked it every which way but loose, between post delivery on old TV, new TV, lifted “flipped” axle, measuring every corner each time on the TVs & TT.

2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, TBC

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/21 11:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr_andyj wrote:

Difference on a 1/2 ton to a 3/4 ton truck (suv)=
usually is the same frame with a few extra pieces welded to the frame to make it stronger, usually turning what is called the C-channel frame shape and closing it into a tube in key areas,
and
heavier rear axle and differential.
and
either extra leaf spring or just a bigger set of leaf springs
or
if rear coil springs, then a heavier set of springs to take more weight.

other things include bigger brake rotors/calipers and other upgrades that will not affect towing a trailer forward so I will not mention as these are not the discussion.

Sounds like you did your homework and are within the limits of the vehicle. You might find that 60 mph is almost as fast as you want to tow, for safety and for mpg's. Leave 5 mins early if you are in a hurry, right?

Think of the WD hitch setup as a triangle that includes Tv front axle, the ball hitch and the trailer axle ( not need to include other axles here).
The bottom left corner is the TV front axle, the bottom right is the trailer axle (s) and the top corner is the ball.
With no WDH there is a connection from bottom right to top, and bottom left to top, but nothing from the bottom corner to bottom corner.
With WDH the bottom corners are also attached.
Stay with me...
If you pull the bottom corners together then the forces tend to pull those "legs" towards each other and push the top corner (the ball) up.
IF those legs have extra axles on them, like the rear axle on a TV, then those axles would eventually come off the ground, but in this case they are just unweighted a little.
This is a good way to visualize what the WDH does.

Wholly incorrect on the frame/ chassis thing. At least for most vehicles in the last 30 years or so as most are already fully boxed rear frame sections. Yes most components are heavier, but generally the frame is totally different. Some share the same bodywork/ dimensions, other have a completely different body as well.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/21 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boomerweps wrote:

Grit do wrote:

Fortunately, you're mistaken. But in the "steering balance equation", whatever that is, how much difference does a couple hundred lbs above or below the unloaded FA weight make?

Odd turn of phrase. I seek enlightenment. I like strong opinions, I just like the data backing them up. Only have/had one WDH for a couple years but I’ve worked it every which way but loose, between post delivery on old TV, new TV, lifted “flipped” axle, measuring every corner each time on the TVs & TT.

Not meant to be cynical.
But consider.
Add trailer. Adds weight to RA, fulcrum effect removes weight from FA.
Add wdh, wdh opposes the downward force of the hitch and removes some of the tongue weight transferring it to the FA and trailer axles.
Weight comment was centered around splitting hairs about a couple hundred lbs on a 3000-4000lb load. Can’t say I’ve ever noticed a difference with a small weight reduction on FA due to trailer.

Lusson

Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/21 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the advise my next experiment is to go to 5 links and see what she weighs at the scale. Plus got the LOAD Range E tires and see how that runs as well. I also know that I'm most likely not tightening down the sway bars enough. I know not to crank them down but a buddy suggested when getting on the interstate give them a little extra turn. Then just simply ease off when you get off the interstate.

But took it off on a drive and around 60mph it seemed fine and will see what going up to 5 links does on the front and rear axle weights and go from there.

We have our first trip set for next week and its only an hour drive but again good first test on the interstate with all the adjustments. Will give feedback on the weights when I get it done.

Lusson

Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/21 07:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well the results are in on the weigh in at the CAT Scales I would say I'm a little shocked it didn't move very much so thinking Link #4 is the best?

Bare SUV
Front Axle 3340lbs with 36" Wheel Well
Rear Axle 3480 with 36" Wheel Well
Trailer is 7680lbs empty

Link #3
Front Axle 3220lbs with 38" WW
Rear Axle 4540lbs with 32" WW
Trailer 7680lbs

Link #4
Front Axle 3320lbs with 36" WW
Rear Axle 4400lbs with 35" WW
Trailer 7700lbs

Link #5
Front Axle 3360lbs with 36" WW
Rear Axle 4300lbs with 35" WW
Trailer 7740lbs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> First Long Road Trip
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.