RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Alfa basement air service

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

 > Alfa basement air service

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Dannydperez

Florida

New Member

Joined: 05/10/2021

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/10/21 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello everyone! I’m new to the forum, and looking forward to sharing my experiences with the forum, as well as looking for some guidance! I have a question about servicing my basement air unit. Is there any way to clean the coils on the unit without removing it? Maybe cut a hole something make a service hatch?? Thanks in advance!

MountainAir05

New Mexico

Senior Member

Joined: 01/27/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/10/21 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make and model would help. Most are already incased and just cutting a hole will not let you do a good job cleaning. call a friend who use to own one and he said to you Good Luck. He stated his comes out the bottom of the RV. It was made by coleman who no longer makes them. It has two compressors. As stated its a case inside a case. here is a picture maybe of what you have.


https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-appliances/air-conditioner/air-conditioners-coleman-dometic/coleman-mach-2-ton-plus-basement-ac-he-w-heat-pump_69859

* This post was last edited 05/10/21 02:32pm by MountainAir05 *   View edit history

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 06/11/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/10/21 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The outside Condenser coils you can access from the outside with a Garden Hose. The INSIDE Evap coils are harder to get at. Remove the AC filter under the rear bed and see if you can access the Evap there. Are you asking because you have a cooling problem? Doug

JimR 1

Custer South Dakota

Senior Member

Joined: 08/29/2003

View Profile






Posted: 05/10/21 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To do the best job the unit should be removed and cleaned and serviced. There are some shops that can do that very well.

See my PM

JimR

JimR 1

Custer South Dakota

Senior Member

Joined: 08/29/2003

View Profile






Posted: 05/10/21 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

The outside Condenser coils you can access from the outside with a Garden Hose. The INSIDE Evap coils are harder to get at. Remove the AC filter under the rear bed and see if you can access the Evap there. Are you asking because you have a cooling problem? Doug


I do not remember any ALFA having a filter under the bed as that is where the engine is.

JimR

Dannydperez

Florida

New Member

Joined: 05/10/2021

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/10/21 11:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the replies, everyone. The unit is working fine, but I’ve had it for several years now, and would like to clean the evaporator coil, as I’m pretty sure it’s getting quite dirty by now. I have a 2005 40 fd model. The inlet is above and behind the bed, and I can’t see where I could get to it easily from there to clean it in place. Guess I’ll have to set aside a couple days to try pulling the unit. I’ve heard they are removed from below, but that would involve even removing the heater ductwork as it passes below the ac unit. I’ve always been told “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”, but I know dirty coils can lead to higher compressor pressures and shorter life. I’ll update if / when I get it done. Thanks!

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 06/11/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/11/21 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimR 1 wrote:

dougrainer wrote:

The outside Condenser coils you can access from the outside with a Garden Hose. The INSIDE Evap coils are harder to get at. Remove the AC filter under the rear bed and see if you can access the Evap there. Are you asking because you have a cooling problem? Doug


I do not remember any ALFA having a filter under the bed as that is where the engine is.

JimR


One of the reasons Alfa went out of business was because the DESIGN of the basement AC system meant that you had inadequate return air from the middle to front of the Motorhomes. WE sold Alfa for just 1 year and dropped the line after numerous Customer complaints of NOT getting the Alfa's below 80 degrees on higher than 90 degree days. This was a known problem to Alfa and Alfa could never engineer a fix. So, the Air filter on the units we sold was indeed in the back under the bed. Doug

JimR 1

Custer South Dakota

Senior Member

Joined: 08/29/2003

View Profile






Posted: 05/11/21 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

JimR 1 wrote:

dougrainer wrote:

The outside Condenser coils you can access from the outside with a Garden Hose. The INSIDE Evap coils are harder to get at. Remove the AC filter under the rear bed and see if you can access the Evap there. Are you asking because you have a cooling problem? Doug


I do not remember any ALFA having a filter under the bed as that is where the engine is.

JimR


One of the reasons Alfa went out of business was because the DESIGN of the basement AC system meant that you had inadequate return air from the middle to front of the Motorhomes. WE sold Alfa for just 1 year and dropped the line after numerous Customer complaints of NOT getting the Alfa's below 80 degrees on higher than 90 degree days. This was a known problem to Alfa and Alfa could never engineer a fix. So, the Air filter on the units we sold was indeed in the back under the bed. Doug


Doug the air filter is not under the bed. The air filter is in the bedroom area near the bed in the cabinets above or passenger side of the bed. Under the bed is the engine access hatch no air filters.

JimR

Dannydperez

Florida

New Member

Joined: 05/10/2021

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/11/21 03:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The first thing an Alfa owner needs to do if they are going to spend lots of time in hot areas as we do (living in Florida) is to add a roof air in the living room. This should have been standard issue from the factory. Our experience has been that once cooled down, our basement unit will keep it cool, but if you let it get hot, or are in full hot sunshine, the basement air alone won’t bring it down. Also, with the tall ceilings, there is more volume of air to cool off compared to most other motor homes of the same length. It’s a trade off I’ll take for the ability to stand up in my motor home and see outside in about 270 degrees through the windows. Another thing I find helps is to turn on the ceiling fans to circulate the cold air if running the basement unit. The idea of “stacking” cold air from the floor up just doesn’t work well to me.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 06/11/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/11/21 05:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimR 1 wrote:

dougrainer wrote:

JimR 1 wrote:

dougrainer wrote:

The outside Condenser coils you can access from the outside with a Garden Hose. The INSIDE Evap coils are harder to get at. Remove the AC filter under the rear bed and see if you can access the Evap there. Are you asking because you have a cooling problem? Doug


I do not remember any ALFA having a filter under the bed as that is where the engine is.

JimR


One of the reasons Alfa went out of business was because the DESIGN of the basement AC system meant that you had inadequate return air from the middle to front of the Motorhomes. WE sold Alfa for just 1 year and dropped the line after numerous Customer complaints of NOT getting the Alfa's below 80 degrees on higher than 90 degree days. This was a known problem to Alfa and Alfa could never engineer a fix. So, the Air filter on the units we sold was indeed in the back under the bed. Doug


Doug the air filter is not under the bed. The air filter is in the bedroom area near the bed in the cabinets above or passenger side of the bed. Under the bed is the engine access hatch no air filters.

JimR


You are correct. There was another brand Motorhome from 20 years ago with basement air that had the filter in the bed compartment. Doug

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

 > Alfa basement air service
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.