RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: bad starter......

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> bad starter......

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/21 07:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Sure wish I lived in an area where it was easy to get a mobile mechanic to show up. It's usually 'we don't know what tools we'll need' or 'we're too busy'

You're lucky then, you didn't get that rip off mobile diesel engine guy who was roaming NM for a few years....that guy was a real piece of work.

He probably dead by now, buried out past 9 mile hill or somewhere...

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

zenasboy

Southern Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/21 06:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A starter is in many cases a pretty simple component to swap out. If you're up to the task and physically able, watch a couple of youtube videos (there will be plenty with your truck model and year) about how to change a starter. A first timer could probably do it in 45 minutes...assuming it's in an easy to get to spot.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/21 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If a person doesn't have access to jack stands and the necessary tools, then all the advice on how to do it won't do much good. And maybe they realize their mechanical limitations.

I don't see any issue with pushing/pulling the truck a block or so to the mechanic. I'd do it in a heartbeat if necessary. Passenger vehicles can be steered even with the power steering pump not working. It's hard to turn when stationary, but eases up some when moving.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/21 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think it's funny when folks talk about "pushing" a vehicle with another anymore....
Hello, you've been asleep for about 30 years or longer. Find me any newer vehicles that have the bumper strength, design and or protections in place to even contemplate being the push-er or push-ee without a trip to the body shop afterwards?
Pretty sure once vehicles similar to these quit getting spit out the door in Deetroit, "pushing" vehicle to vehicle quit being a thing....
[image]
Or maybe y'all mean push by hand??

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/21 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe the word "pull" was also mentioned. [emoticon]

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/12/21 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Call a real tow truck and get the vehicle to a real technician.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/21 03:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it's literally "around the corner", then why spend the big bucks for a tow truck? Save that money to pay the repair bill. And replacing a starter isn't something a regular mechanic can't fix, may not need a "technician". [emoticon]

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/21 05:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

I have fixed 2 "bad Starters" in the past week. Both had dirty or loose battery terminals. Check them yourself.

In times past cleaning the battery terminals was part of routine maintenance, but now it is considered a repair. I wish I knew how certain we where the starter is bad. I don't know if Ford still uses the relay at the end of a short cable from battery. In times past, when I needed 1 more start to get to a shop, (Or on demolition derby cars) I would disconnect the cable from the starter side of that relay. Then a 2nd battery, hook (+) to that cable, and (-) to the relay terminal. When you turn the switch to 'start' that relay kicks in and the starter gets 24V most times it will crank.

Tal/IL wrote:

If you can get at the starter from underneath, rap on it few times with a mallet and it might start. If it does, don't shut it off 'til you get to the shop.

OT but gave me a laugh. A friend called me 1 night, he was out of town and his teenage kid was broke down at a party. He told her to tap on the starter. When I got there with another starter, the 1 I had to take off was beat so bad it could not even be a core. That little cutie had half the HS football team beating on that starter

PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/21 06:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Late one night while asleep a woman was awaken by a knocking on the door down stairs. She woke her husband and told him someone was downstairs knocking on the door. He got up and put on his robe and went downstairs; the knocking was coming from the backdoor. He open the back door and there stood a drunk in the dark and he asked the man if he would give him a push.

The man told the drunk that he was not coming out at that hour of the night and to go away and not bother him again. He then closed the door and went back upstairs and went to bed. The wife being curious what the commotion was all about asked her husband, what did they want. He told her it was some drunk wanting a push.

The wife said to her husband, you remember the time we were stranded on a trip and people stopped and help us? You really ought to go back down and see if you can help him.

The man gets back up, dresses and goes back down to the back door and calls out into the darkness of night if the man was still out there needing help. The drunk replied from the dark he was still there and needed a push. The man asked where he was. The drunk replied, I am in the swing.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> bad starter......
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.