RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Running Inverter Generator Safely From Pickup

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Running Inverter Generator Safely From Pickup

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
KeithF40

Long Island, NY

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/21 12:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Predator 3500 generator and want to make sure that some/all of these situations are safe for running the generator from the back up my pickup. Thanks for any responses. Basically I want to park my truck a few feet in front of the trailer (back of truck facing front of trailer) and run generator from truck bed with or without rain.

1. Trailer parked right behind back of truck (feet few behind), tailgate down, tonneau cover up, generator on tailgate with exhaust pointing towards side of truck (perpendicular to truck)?

2. Trailer parked right behind back of truck (feet few behind), tailgate down, tonneau cover up, generator on tailgate with exhaust pointing towards cab of truck (no one is inside truck)?

3. Trailer parked right behind back of truck (few feet behind), tailgate down, tonneau cover down (if it's raining), generator in bed of truck (just inside of tailgate) with exhaust facing the cab of the truck (no one is inside truck)? This would be the rain setup.

curt12914

Bombay NY (5 miles from Quebec, 15 from Ontario)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/21 04:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Probably not the proper thing to do, but we have run our Honda inverter generators in the truck box while hooked to whatever fifth wheel we had at the time, when we were travelling. I would have a CO detector, especially in sleeping areas, but we never had a problem.

2021 F-350 Platinum 4X4 PSD SRW 2016 Montana 3950FL (2) Honda EU2000i's
...and a few (twenty-some, but other than my wife, no one is counting) antique Allis Chalmers tractors

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/21 06:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most trailers have the bedroom in the front. These generators are quiet, but not silent. I wouldn't want it that close to where I sleep.

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/21 06:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I run our Hondas regularly from the bed of my truck. I drop the tail gate start the generators,spin them so the exhaust faces out. The tonneau cover stays in place one fold open, depending on expected weather,if rain is expected I leave it flat. I have a trifold. I have set my extended run tank on top of the cover.
This is for overnites only so I normally do not unhook the trailer. Once set up in our spot the generators sit on a piece of plywood on the ground.

GMH

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/21 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The generator needs air! Both for cooling and for combustion. Number 3 would be bad, under the cover blowing hot exhaust gasses back into the enclosed space...not good. Blow the exhaust away from the truck and trailer. Rain should not hurt the generator.

wanderingbob

monticeeo, fla

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/21 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have always ran generator in bed of truck , for 25 years at least . Never had a problem with exhaust . As to noise , you are running your air conditioner , you will not hear generator ! Dry camping is all we do .

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/21 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I run a Champion 3400w generator in similar situations routinely. I include a 120VAC clip on fan to circulate the air. It works great. My tonneau is the tri-fold stretched vinyl variety, and has never suffered any heat damage.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

mr_andyj

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/21 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No problem except in #3 just aim the exhaust out, not in.
Even your truck burns some of its exhaust again, it is called Exhaust Gas Recirculation, there is an EGR valve to take some exhaust and re-burn it, so no, this is not going to be a deal breaker....

CO is heavier than air, so will find its way to the ground, not so much your windows, which will likely be closed bc you are running your AC anyway. Campers are not airtight, so always a CO monitor is in order.

The farther your gen is from the camper the better.
IF the exhaust is literally blowing onto the camper then you might die, literally, so deflect it or aim it away.

I can't imagine the sound a cheapo construction generator will make in the metal cavity of a truck though.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/21 03:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KeithF40 wrote:

I have a Predator 3500 generator and want to make sure that some/all of these situations are safe for running the generator from the back up my pickup. Thanks for any responses. Basically I want to park my truck a few feet in front of the trailer (back of truck facing front of trailer) and run generator from truck bed with or without rain.

1. Trailer parked right behind back of truck (feet few behind), tailgate down, tonneau cover up, generator on tailgate with exhaust pointing towards side of truck (perpendicular to truck)?

2. Trailer parked right behind back of truck (feet few behind), tailgate down, tonneau cover up, generator on tailgate with exhaust pointing towards cab of truck (no one is inside truck)?

3. Trailer parked right behind back of truck (few feet behind), tailgate down, tonneau cover down (if it's raining), generator in bed of truck (just inside of tailgate) with exhaust facing the cab of the truck (no one is inside truck)? This would be the rain setup.

Say wut?
Generator won't melt if it gets wet.
Why on earth would you direct the exhaust back into the enclosed truck bed making the bed all stinky and hot? Do you think it's going to trap the exhaust and keep it from getting out?
Point generator exhaust away from the truck bed and if you smell exhaust in the camper, it's not working, get a longer extension cord.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/21 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Btw, the CO detector works wonderfully in our new toy hauler. I blew out the dirt and dust with the leaf blower and it started screaming about 5 seconds into the operation.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Running Inverter Generator Safely From Pickup
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.