RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Running Inverter Generator Safely From Pickup

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Running Inverter Generator Safely From Pickup

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/21 08:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I don't want to run the on-board genny I plant my portable 1600w away from the trailer, usually the length of my power cord that I plug into the genny. No issues.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/21 08:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shouldn't be a problem as long as proper clearances are given for exhaust and intake. I've run ours from my truck bed lots of times and one time ran it as I drove. I wrapped the power cord around the tongue to keep it tight to the side of the trailer and up over the tail gate and to the generator. Drove home 70 miles like that.

1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/21 08:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ What does that have to do running it at camp?
This is a funny thread. OP trying to asphyxiate his tonneau cover! Lol

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/21 08:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr_andyj wrote:

No problem except in #3 just aim the exhaust out, not in.
Even your truck burns some of its exhaust again, it is called Exhaust Gas Recirculation, there is an EGR valve to take some exhaust and re-burn it, so no, this is not going to be a deal breaker....

CO is heavier than air, so will find its way to the ground, not so much your windows, which will likely be closed bc you are running your AC anyway. Campers are not airtight, so always a CO monitor is in order.

The farther your gen is from the camper the better.
IF the exhaust is literally blowing onto the camper then you might die, literally, so deflect it or aim it away.

I can't imagine the sound a cheapo construction generator will make in the metal cavity of a truck though.

I know I am nitpicking, but CO is slightly lighter than air, but close enough that they mix easily.

I calibrate our CO sensors at work, and I have tested my Kidde CO detector that is in the bedroom of our 5er. It has a readout that is surprisingly accurate. I trust mine because I have tested and verified that it works. Most people don't have that option.

That being said, I run my Honda 2000 under my slide, so I wouldn't have a problem running it in the bed of my pickup while hooked up either.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/21 09:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dieseltruckdriver wrote:

mr_andyj wrote:

No problem except in #3 just aim the exhaust out, not in.
Even your truck burns some of its exhaust again, it is called Exhaust Gas Recirculation, there is an EGR valve to take some exhaust and re-burn it, so no, this is not going to be a deal breaker....

CO is heavier than air, so will find its way to the ground, not so much your windows, which will likely be closed bc you are running your AC anyway. Campers are not airtight, so always a CO monitor is in order.

The farther your gen is from the camper the better.
IF the exhaust is literally blowing onto the camper then you might die, literally, so deflect it or aim it away.

I can't imagine the sound a cheapo construction generator will make in the metal cavity of a truck though.

I know I am nitpicking, but CO is slightly lighter than air, but close enough that they mix easily.

I calibrate our CO sensors at work, and I have tested my Kidde CO detector that is in the bedroom of our 5er. It has a readout that is surprisingly accurate. I trust mine because I have tested and verified that it works. Most people don't have that option.

That being said, I run my Honda 2000 under my slide, so I wouldn't have a problem running it in the bed of my pickup while hooked up either.

several times at motorcycle events that are dry camping I've had the CO detector alarm when a nearby generator was running and wind in our direction. Generators were 20 ft or so from the trailer.

when we have the generator running I have it down wind from the trailer with exhaust facing down wind. CO is nothing to play with, results can be deadly.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

ol Bombero-JC

USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/21 10:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr_andyj wrote:

CO is heavier than air.....

I see a poster has already corrected this statement ("nit picking") - but it caught my eye also.

CO -carbon monoxide- is very close, but is *lighter* than air, and will mix with air.

High enough concentration can/will kill you - recent example was a family running generator in front yard (due to power outage) close to an open window.

Read and heed: https://www.covesmart.com/blog/is-co-heavier-than-air

Maybe "mr_andyj" is thinking of propane?

[emoticon]

* This post was edited 05/11/21 10:18pm by ol Bombero-JC *

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/12/21 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Btw, the CO detector works wonderfully in our new toy hauler. I blew out the dirt and dust with the leaf blower and it started screaming about 5 seconds into the operation.

Lol. You have to either use an electric blower or turn off the battery disconnect to kill the detectors before you fire up the gas blower.

I have a cheap little rechargeable one I use to blow out the garage after I unload in camp.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/21 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ol Bombero-JC wrote:

mr_andyj wrote:

CO is heavier than air.....

Maybe "mr_andyj" is thinking of propane?

[emoticon]

More likely is that they've confused CO (carbon monoxide) and CO2 (carbon dioxide). CO2 is a bit heavier than air, sufficiently so that accumulation in an area, especially one with with poor ventilation, can be very dangerous indeed. Accumulation of CO2 in silos and mines, for instance, has at times proven deadly to workers.

mr_andyj

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/21 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you are right, CO is about the same as air. That is a myth...
We had a situation where a guy in a tent got CO poisoning but the people walking around were unaffected. I guess that supported the myth...
If CO floats then that is worse as it can float into your windows.

CO2 is harmless, you exhale it and breath it in. The mask-breathers are breathing it constantly inside their gross mask.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/21 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

Btw, the CO detector works wonderfully in our new toy hauler. I blew out the dirt and dust with the leaf blower and it started screaming about 5 seconds into the operation.

Lol. You have to either use an electric blower or turn off the battery disconnect to kill the detectors before you fire up the gas blower.

I have a cheap little rechargeable one I use to blow out the garage after I unload in camp.

Nah, mine runs on AV gas and Klotz!
Was a great system check!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Running Inverter Generator Safely From Pickup
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.