RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Towing: Thoughts on WD hitch need

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

 > Thoughts on WD hitch need

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
loydt

Cornelius, NC, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 10/06/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 05/11/21 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just bought a new Jayco White Hawk 32BH. It has a GVWR of 9995 Lbs and a dry hitch weight of 1,100 Lbs. My truck is a 2018 Ram CC 4x4 dually with the Cummins/Aisin combo and a factory class V hitch. Do I need to mess with a WD hitch for this massive truck?


2021 Jayco Seismic 4212 (on order)
2021 Jayco White Hawk 32BH
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4x4 CC Cummins/Aisin Laramie Longhorn

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

Moderator

Joined: 10/16/2000

View Profile



Posted: 05/11/21 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That trailer, when loaded and ready for a camping trip, will probably have a tongue weight in excess of 1500lbs. In addition, that is a very long trailer that will be able to manhandle even your nice truck if the conditions are right. I would use a weight distributing hitch and some type of sway control for sure! [emoticon]
Barney


2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD


Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

Senior Member

Joined: 08/09/2008

View Profile



Posted: 05/11/21 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For weight distribution probably not, my truck easily handles our 33' TT weight-wise, but I always use our WD/SC hitch primarily for sway control. We travel by interstate mostly and at those speeds along with the winds we experience out here in the mountain west I wouldn't be without one. I've seen too many, as you stated, massive trucks 15 to 20mph below speed limit do to excess swaying from inferior or non-existent hitches. Congrats on the new Jayco White Hawk, a high quality WD/SC hitch will work wonders for overall towing comfort on such a long TT.

loydt

Cornelius, NC, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 10/06/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 05/11/21 12:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarneyS wrote:

That trailer, when loaded and ready for a camping trip, will probably have a tongue weight in excess of 1500lbs. In addition, that is a very long trailer that will be able to manhandle even your nice truck if the conditions are right. I would use a weight distributing hitch and some type of sway control for sure! [emoticon]
Barney


Leaning towards agreeing with you. So far I have only found one hitch system, made by Curt, that has a tongue weight rating of 1500 lbs.

goducks10

There

Senior Member

Joined: 02/22/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/11/21 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thats one Big A TT. Over 9,000 lbs loaded and 38' long will be a handful for any 3/4-1 ton SRW.
I tow a 31' TT @9600 lbs with a 3500 CTD CC LB SRW and previously with a 2500 Hemi CC LB. TW is 1350 lbs and will squat the rear on both a couple inches +/- 1/4". squats fine but just showing that when you drop 1500? lbs 4' behind the rear axle there's going to be some handling changes.

You won't think the trucks so massive when hitched up and on the road. Winds and semi's will move you around a fair amount.

I would look at a good WDH with built in sway.

I use a Blue Ox with 2,000 lb bars. I just don't crank em way tight.
Equalizer makes a 1600 lb bar WDH
https://www.equalizerhitch.com/store/hitches/1-600-16-000-lb

* This post was edited 05/11/21 12:26pm by goducks10 *

loydt

Cornelius, NC, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 10/06/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 05/11/21 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://www.etrailer.com/p-C17501.html
goducks10 wrote:

Thats one Big A TT. Over 9,000 lbs loaded and 38' long will be a handful for any 3/4-1 ton SRW.
I tow a 31' TT @9600 lbs with a 3500 CTD CC LB SRW and previously with a 2500 Hemi CC LB. TW is 1350 lbs and will squat the rear on both a couple inches +/- 1/4". squats fine but just showing that when you drop 1500? lbs 4' behind the rear axle there's going to be some handling changes.

You won't think the trucks so massive when hitched up and on the road. Winds and semi's will move you around a fair amount.

I would look at a good WDH with built in sway.

I use a Blue Ox with 2,000 lb bars. I just don't crank em way tight.
Equalizer makes a 1600 lb bar WDH
https://www.equalizerhitch.com/store/hitches/1-600-16-000-lb


Its a DRW, for what it matters. It also has the automatic leveling suspension but that will come into play more when my Seismic comes in.

I will take a look at your suggestion.

Here is the Curt model I found:

https://www.etrailer.com/p-C17501.html

dfm

B.C.

Senior Member

Joined: 05/08/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 05/11/21 01:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a Reese dual cam for my rig and could not be happier with the performance.
My trailer is 36 feet tip to stern with a Gvw of 12000 lbs. Hitch weight fully loaded is 1470 pounds. Trailer is rock steady with absolutely no sway even in an emergency collision avoidance maneuver. Someone pulled out in front of me from a side road when I approached at 65 mph. I had to swerve immediately to avoid running over their small vehicle. The trailer followed perfectly with no sway.
I did have to stop for a change of wardrobe.


2015 Open Range 340 FLR
2012 Ram3500 Laramie Longhorn/Cummins
1 DW 1 Furperson

goducks10

There

Senior Member

Joined: 02/22/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/11/21 02:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

loydt wrote:

https://www.etrailer.com/p-C17501.html
goducks10 wrote:

Thats one Big A TT. Over 9,000 lbs loaded and 38' long will be a handful for any 3/4-1 ton SRW.
I tow a 31' TT @9600 lbs with a 3500 CTD CC LB SRW and previously with a 2500 Hemi CC LB. TW is 1350 lbs and will squat the rear on both a couple inches +/- 1/4". squats fine but just showing that when you drop 1500? lbs 4' behind the rear axle there's going to be some handling changes.

You won't think the trucks so massive when hitched up and on the road. Winds and semi's will move you around a fair amount.

I would look at a good WDH with built in sway.

I use a Blue Ox with 2,000 lb bars. I just don't crank em way tight.
Equalizer makes a 1600 lb bar WDH
https://www.equalizerhitch.com/store/hitches/1-600-16-000-lb


Its a DRW, for what it matters. It also has the automatic leveling suspension but that will come into play more when my Seismic comes in.

I will take a look at your suggestion.

Here is the Curt model I found:

https://www.etrailer.com/p-C17501.html


With a DRW I'm not sure I'd be as concerned.

Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/11/21 03:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What’s the receiver rated for? Does it have two ratings? One with and one without a WDH.

Mike134

Elgin, IL

Senior Member

Joined: 11/20/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/11/21 05:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have to chuckle at the weight police. I've been on the forum a few years and all you read is you need a bigger truck, blah, blah, blah. The OP has a 1-TON DUALLY ONLY towing a 10,000 trailer and suddenly it's not enough truck?
You guys crack me up.

Safe travels, hitch up and never look back at the forum.


2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

 > Thoughts on WD hitch need
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.