|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Refrigerator temp

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/21 02:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ernie1 wrote:

Old Biscuit: I agree with your statement concerning proper installation is necessary by rv manufacturers to achieve proper cooling. However, I have checked very carefully the installation requirements and clearances according to my owner's installation instruction and have found them to be spot on. I think I recall that Dometic's specs are set at a maximum of 95degrees F ambient which is the temperature at which my refrigerator can not keep up and the internal temps start rising into and above 40 degrees F. By the way, 37 degrees F is not a bad internal temperature for a refrigerator but not at all optimal because something of a lower temperature without freezing the food will give you more lee way in case ambient temps rise. Higher temps allow the bacteria to multiply faster. I think 35 degrees F is better because it won't freeze the food, gives more leeway in case of a rise in ambient and accounts for inaccuracy of thermometers. For what it's worth, my Dometic and those of my two friends who bought their rvs new, have better results with their refridges running on 120ac than they do on propane gas which is odd. This is after careful inspection and some repair by rv shops with careful guidance from Dometic. The results are 40+ degrees F in the 90+ degrees ambient. Totally unacceptable!

I have NEVER had any problems with the 8555 cooling below 40 degrees. Texas Heat from 90 to 105. Lots of my customers have this unit in their B+ motorhomes. If I had a problem, Either a control or Cooling unit was the problem. 120 line voltage and LP pressure is critical for correct cooling. IF you find 120 is "better" than LP, then you have a LP pressure or baffle problem. Also, what is the age of the refer? Has it been run off level enough to degrade performance in hot weather. THIS is the most common cause of periodically running a refer Off level. You think nothing has happened, because it performs, but the TEST is when it gets hot ambient and THEN the refer does NOT perform below 40 degrees. You then blame the lousy refer when it was your fault that it is not performing. If you hot wire the 120 element for 24 hours and it does NOT get below 35 degrees, your CU is toast. Doug

happy2rv

Huntsville, AL, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/12/21 06:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of factors affect cooling.

• Is the RV in direct sunlight?
  • Is there any way to shade at least the side the fridge is on?
  • How old is the RV/Fridge?
  • How much has it been operated off level?
  • Running off level doesn't necessarily result in immediate catastrophic failure, but the more it happens, the more damage that's done.
  • Are the outside vents top and bottom clear and free of any debris?
  • As others have suggested, fans in the outside compartment may help.
  • Fans inside the refrigerator can help with even distribution.

It's not at all uncommon to have trouble keeping it below 40 with gas absorption refrigerators. Shouldn't be a problem, but more often than not it is, especially in the heat of the day. Many people resort to putting a jug or jugs of water in the freezer at night and moving them to the refrigerator during the day. Again, shouldn't be necessary, but may help. I have to say, I don't miss RV style fridge. When we got our current TT with residential refrigerator, I was worried about batteries lasting during travel, but that hasn't been an issue so far.

2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

ernie1

Sacramento,California,USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/12/21 08:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dougrainer: As I had stated in a previous response, mine and my two friends bought the same units brand new and had the very same problem from the very first time these refrigerators were put into use BRAND NEW! Attempts to correct the problem through Dometic were futile and costly especially after their response was that their units were performing as designed, as in you're good until 95deg F and that's it you're on your own after that. So, the issue was not that the fridges were old, used and abused, not on level nor looked at by professionals. I have hot wired my fridge on 120vac via my inverter and on shore power and am able to get it down to maybe 35deg F at about 50deg ambient. Doesn't mean much to me because it still climbs above 45-50+ degrees when it's above 95-100 degrees F ambient. No matter how you slice it, the potentially hazardous food will start to spoil under these conditions. The longer the time at such high temps the more bacterial growth you get and the chance that you'll sicker is increased.In the recent past I've replaced the propane gas regulator with a new Marshall unit and used my manometer to adjust the pressure to 11.5 "wc, installed two fans in the rear condenser area, two fans in the freezer and two fans in the refrigerator section. Nothing has helped except that the fins in the refrigerator section don't now freeze up but temps are still too high.

* This post was edited 05/12/21 09:13pm by ernie1 *

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/13/21 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Norcold 682IM that is 25 years old that works well until outside temps hit 90 plus and I see 40 to 45 degrees inside just like you are seeing. It will recover and go below 35 at night and cycle will start again. Temps are worst when ever we camp with family because the door is constantly being opened. So minimal door opening helps. Also I either pull in or back into a camp site so the sun is not hitting the refer. Another thing to consider if you are just measuring the air temp in side the refer and you see 40F the food will be colder. I put a glass of water inside and a thermometer inside the water and readings were much colder than the air temp readings and did not very as much with the opening of the door. If air temp was 40 water temp was 35.

doxiemom11

Victoria TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/21 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you check the door seals on these new Dometic refrigerators - the dollar bill test. Just defective or poorly installed door seals or door alignment can affect the temperature more than you would think.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/21 10:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ernie1 wrote:

Dougrainer: As I had stated in a previous response, mine and my two friends bought the same units brand new and had the very same problem from the very first time these refrigerators were put into use BRAND NEW! Attempts to correct the problem through Dometic were futile and costly especially after their response was that their units were performing as designed, as in you're good until 95deg F and that's it you're on your own after that. So, the issue was not that the fridges were old, used and abused, not on level nor looked at by professionals. I have hot wired my fridge on 120vac via my inverter and on shore power and am able to get it down to maybe 35deg F at about 50deg ambient. Doesn't mean much to me because it still climbs above 45-50+ degrees when it's above 95-100 degrees F ambient. No matter how you slice it, the potentially hazardous food will start to spoil under these conditions. The longer the time at such high temps the more bacterial growth you get and the chance that you'll sicker is increased.In the recent past I've replaced the propane gas regulator with a new Marshall unit and used my manometer to adjust the pressure to 11.5 "wc, installed two fans in the rear condenser area, two fans in the freezer and two fans in the refrigerator section. Nothing has helped except that the fins in the refrigerator section don't now freeze up but temps are still too high.

I stand by what I posted. Also, ICE on Evap fins will produce HIGHER temps. Ice is an Insulator and will degrade lower compartment cooling, so IF you had Ice on the fins, that is just 1 of your problems. Ice by definition is 32 degrees. The temps in a refer will be 10 degrees warmer than the fins. So Ice means 42 degrees in refer. 35 degree refer temp means the the fins are at 25 degrees. Doug

PS. fans inside ANY 2 door refer freezer will NOT do anything. Fans promote air over the evap fins.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Refrigerator temp
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.