|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Microwave replacement options

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
SFVdave

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/12/21 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Furrion FMSN09-BL needs to be replaced. Has anyone used a different brand? Sources are limited to a few vendors and the shipping time doesn’t work for us. Guess we can rough it without. Spoiled!

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/21 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Measure the opening and head to WalMart

GTO66

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/21 12:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Replaced mine with one from walmart still working after 15 years. Original lasted about 5.

Fresno Tundra Driver

Fresno,Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/21 02:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Measured and got our replacement at Best Buy for around $90

E.Lee Galik

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/21 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There really is not much "Special" about RV microwaves.
My Rig came with a Dometic Microwave
Turn out it was made by LG (Lucky Goldstar, if a Goldstar works you are very lucky, I was not and had to modify it, now 16 years later it still works but it's part GE and part ME and the rest is LG)

Dometic did add a bit of sheet metal to route the exhaust air (yes they exhaust air) to where they wanted it to go .
If your microwave is "enclosed" in a cabinety (Built in is another word) you may need to do some metal work with the exhaust air. that's all.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

SFVdave

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/12/21 05:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found one at Walmart and the dimensions are exact with length and with. but it is deeper and only leaves about 1/2” behind. With vented trim, should I place a 12v fan on the top of the microwave blowing heat out the top trim vent slats? The manufacturer recommends 3” clearance all the way around. Not sure where the microwave heat comes out, back or sides?...

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/13/21 07:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before you go through the trouble of retrofitting a new microwave check the thermal fuse inside. It is a couple of dollars and will save you the cost of a new one.

mr_andyj

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/21 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

no such thing as an RV microwave. All are household ones that RV maker made some brackets to match and mount in the opening. Find one that fits in the hole.

SFVdave

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/14/21 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

Before you go through the trouble of retrofitting a new microwave check the thermal fuse inside. It is a couple of dollars and will save you the cost of a new one.

I took the back off and looked for any burnt wire and found none. Put back on and put a pyrex cup with wter in it and turned it on for a minute. Immediately got buzzing noise and burning smell. Shut it off and wnet online with symptoms. It's ythe magnetron failing. I disconnected the cord and cut it. It's going to the local recycling center tomorrow. New cheap Walmart microwave is coming today. Will see what modifications I will need to make if any. It should get me thru my camping trip to the sierra's next week. Then I have a month to decide what to do.
Thanks!

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/21 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SFVdave wrote:

Gjac wrote:

I took the back off and looked for any burnt wire and found none. Put back on and put a pyrex cup with wter in it and turned it on for a minute. Immediately got buzzing noise and burning smell. Shut it off and wnet online with symptoms. It's ythe magnetron failing. I disconnected the cord and cut it. It's going to the local recycling center tomorrow. New cheap Walmart microwave is coming today. Will see what modifications I will need to make if any. It should get me thru my camping trip to the sierra's next week. Then I have a month to decide what to do.
Thanks!

If dimensions are a bit smaller than the original trim you are golden, just fit microwave into the opening.

If dimensions are the same or a bit larger than the original trim, you will need to remove trim. In this case you will need to modify the trim to make for a larger opening.

Both cases, you will need to allow some air space around the microwave for ventilation.

As far as repairing a microwave, for some reason folks are under the impression that they can be fixed by replacing a "thermal fuse", it typically is never that easy.

Many yrs ago when microwaves cost $500-$1000 it was worth attempting to fix, now days microwaves can be easily had for $50-$100, they are not worth spending the time to remove the cover even if it was a "thermal fuse".

There usually is a reason any fuse blows, they just don't go bad for no reason and replacing a fuse is typically a short lived fix.

I used to service consumer electronic equipment like TVs, VCRs, Sat equipment, stereos and yes, microwaves back in the 1990s-2000..

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Microwave replacement options
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.