|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> SRW vs DRW

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/21 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll settle for a SRW until I need a dually .... for me that means overloading my truck on occasion but I'm ok with that.

2021 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

pressure_welder

brandon

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/21 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In reply to the question about distance, Per year i would say we would be in that 1500KM to 2000KM max range total. We pull two decent hills on the way... were on the prairies so certainly not mountains! but there is one hill that gets me down to 3rd or 2nd gear with the 5.9. WHen i had the 15 - 6.7 with aisin it completely anihilated that hill with the same load.

Its always nice to chat with you guys/gals about this sort of info, you could call the dealership but you would get the "pamhplet answer" i consider myself experienced when it comes to towing, ive always been an overkill kinda mentality. However if an SRW would fit the bill i think that would be my next move.

2015 RAM cummins 3500 dually Limited
2018 Montana high country
crestliner sportfish

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/21 02:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

Your right that is a little different scenario.
I'm more or less OK with the SRW for what you are proposing however 18K combined becomes a lot of weight for the SRW to stop....Especially a panic stop.
In the end the main reason to get a dually is for the additional braking power.

Additional braking power?
Maybe you can expound on how a srw vs a dually (same truck/model, apples to apples) has different braking power. And don't go down the less tires = less braking power. I'd challenge the ability to lock up the wheels on a srw with a big load in the back.

That said, I'm the antithesis of the weight cops on here and could or would tow virtually anything able to be towed with a dually, with a srw provided it wasn't seriously overloading the truck chassis.

BUT, if there was ever a case for having training wheels on a pickup truck, towing a significant set of doubles is it.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/21 02:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pressure_welder wrote:

In reply to the question about distance, Per year i would say we would be in that 1500KM to 2000KM max range total. We pull two decent hills on the way... were on the prairies so certainly not mountains! but there is one hill that gets me down to 3rd or 2nd gear with the 5.9. WHen i had the 15 - 6.7 with aisin it completely anihilated that hill with the same load.

Its always nice to chat with you guys/gals about this sort of info, you could call the dealership but you would get the "pamhplet answer" i consider myself experienced when it comes to towing, ive always been an overkill kinda mentality. However if an SRW would fit the bill i think that would be my next move.

So you have a stock 3rd Gen that you need to stripe the tires to see if it's moving when pulling hills and you're worried about srw vs drw? Sounds like you're a rolling road block as it is. SRW = no problem if you're holding up traffic every time you hit the road.

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/13/21 02:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Call the dealership? You’d be lucky if any of the dealer”s salespeople knew what “payload” was.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

LanceRKeys

Amarillo, TX

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/21 04:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2nd gear is hardly a road block, I say drop that 5.9 into second and let er eat. Buy a new truck after prices go down. When you do just get a SRW.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/21 05:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Lantley wrote:

Your right that is a little different scenario.
I'm more or less OK with the SRW for what you are proposing however 18K combined becomes a lot of weight for the SRW to stop....Especially a panic stop.
In the end the main reason to get a dually is for the additional braking power.

Additional braking power?
Maybe you can expound on how a srw vs a dually (same truck/model, apples to apples) has different braking power. And don't go down the less tires = less braking power. I'd challenge the ability to lock up the wheels on a srw with a big load in the back.

That said, I'm the antithesis of the weight cops on here and could or would tow virtually anything able to be towed with a dually, with a srw provided it wasn't seriously overloading the truck chassis.

BUT, if there was ever a case for having training wheels on a pickup truck, towing a significant set of doubles is it.

Yes the two extra tires on the ground makes a huge difference when braking. BTDT. The dually will have significant more braking power that you will notice from the drivers seat.
In the OP's scenario the only significant reason to go dually would be for better braking. A SRW will have adequate payload.
Since he's double towing installing disc brakes on the trailer would not be a bad idea either.
You don't realize/feel how bad the electro magnetic brakes perform until you compare them to disc brakes.

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/21 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LanceRKeys wrote:

2nd gear is hardly a road block, I say drop that 5.9 into second and let er eat. Buy a new truck after prices go down. When you do just get a SRW.

What’s your definition of driving too slow? OPs trans, 1st is granny gear and 2nd is good for maybe 20mph at redline.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/21 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley, you’re gonna have to expound on how 2 more tires = more braking power.
Because I fail to see how it does.
Not that a dually isn’t super preferable for what the OP is towing, but the limits of traction on the srw hammering on the brakes won’t be realized except maybe on gravel or snow with a lot of weight on the rear axle.

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/13/21 09:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The actual brake disc area of a DRW of same year model is just marginally larger than that of a SWR, and actually locking the rear brakes on either is nearly impossible when under load. If you could actually lock the rear wheels on both then the extra braking goes to the DRW.

In the OP scenario.....nothing short of a class 6 or larger would significantly shorten the braking distance. Anyone relying on the tow vehicle to stop a heavy load are pretty badly mistaken.......the trailer brakes should be the primary stopping component for the trailer! Anyone doubting this, just hook up to about 20K pounds, do not connect the wiring harness and do a panic stop from about 60 mph. I think you’ll gain a healthy respect for the benefits of good trailer braking and the inability of a pickup truck to quickly stop said load! memtb

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> SRW vs DRW
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.