|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Electricty and RFI ib body

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/14/21 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not educated n the subject..but SIL's Mother hears music most of the time. She has nerve damage in one ear and virtually no hearing there.
The music she hears is real.
There is a term for it but no cure. They are going to prescribe medication to help her sleep, to ignore it.
I have heard of people with dental implants or tooth fillings hearing radio stations, and even others near that person hearing it from their mouth.
The body's own electricity saliva and dissimilar metals?
This is a new wrinkle though.
She said she couldn't sleep at all the other night because of constant jazz music.
I'm wondering if disconnecting the router to the TVs mist stop it.
This is weird to say the least.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/21 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Disconnecting the router would have no physiological reason to stop the music she's hearing, though it might help in a psychological sense if she thinks that's the source. The wires between the router and TV do not emit much RF radiation in any case. If she sleeps better and more comfortably when you do disconnect them, that in itself makes it very well worth doing.

From what you've written, I suspect what she hears is "manufactured," if you will, by the nervous system, rather than being a response to some external stimulus. That doesn't make it unreal in the sense of something that she hears as much as anything in the world; but it's a phantom sort of perception, coming from within the body itself. I've heard that people who have had limbs amputated sometimes feel itches and such coming from the missing parts of their body, which would have a similar origin.

Radio reception in fillings would presumably be due to forming a sort of diode detector, similar to a crystal radio set. Those radio stations would have to be powerful (and/or nearby) AM stations. TV signals could not be "tuned" in as they have much more complex modulation that requires far more complex circuitry to demodulate...particularly with digital television broadcasts.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/21 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are two ways people "Hear Music" real music, even when others around them do not. that I know of. Legitimate, Scientifically proven Reasons.

Just so you know.. I do not wish to go into it.
But it is prove and .... ONE of them happens to be in my field of training and expertise believe it or not. (electronics).

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/14/21 07:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

She went to a Doctor today, scheduled to see neurologist in 3 months.
Son I Law said it is body's hysterical reaction to dying ear nerves, I think I have that right.

PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/21 02:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Non-properly shield RFI can be damaging to a person's health and cause a lot of problems. Back in the mid-80's, some of the Chief's in the technical unit I was with in Japan (MOTU-7) worked on an RFI measurement, mitigation project.

They found amazing things like improperly shielded and grounded lifelines on ships setting up resonance fields which made the starboard bridge wing unusable on one ship.

An improperly tuned and grounded SPS-40 radar could trip circuit breakers on other ships, and other effects.

It would not surprise me that an RV, or even a home, could amplify RFI signals and focus them some place. Does your wife hear the noised in only one place, or a couple worse than others?

Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/21 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Due to taking Rx NSAIDS for forty years I have multiple frequency tinnitus. The only true "relief" I have found is white noise generated electronically. On U Tube Hare Krishnas have several different constant frequency tones lasting for hours and hours.
Trying to mask noises is better than sitting on one's thumbs. Pressure via the estacian tubes from my CPAP aggravates the problem.
Constant tone, white noise, waterfall, rain patter makes for an interesting assortment of trials. Good luck it's not an easy problem to resolve.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/21 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A dental filling can act as both antenna and detector and turn the tooth into an AM radio

Fisherman

Angus, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/21 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

Due to taking Rx NSAIDS for forty years I have multiple frequency tinnitus. The only true "relief" I have found is white noise generated electronically. On U Tube Hare Krishnas have several different constant frequency tones lasting for hours and hours.
Trying to mask noises is better than sitting on one's thumbs. Pressure via the estacian tubes from my CPAP aggravates the problem.
Constant tone, white noise, waterfall, rain patter makes for an interesting assortment of trials. Good luck it's not an easy problem to resolve.

I have the ocean waves as my white noise, it helps to refrain from constantly being zoomed in on the tinnitus.

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/21 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm another one who has tinnitus; and use a sound machine to mask those ear noises (which sometimes sounds like distant music or a murmuring crowd). The reason I'm pretty sure it's not my fillings acting like an antenna, is the fact that I have ear noises everywhere, and the "music" is always the same....LOL!

Now, that being said: we were staying at my bro/sis-in-law's house, and when I turned on my sound machine - it started TALKING. Turned it off, then back on and it acted normal again. Mentioned it to my SIL, and she laughed and said they were very close to a local radio tower, and one day she had set a metal baking pan vertically against a wall, and it began playing music....LOL!! So I would never discount stories of teeth being receivers....

navegator

San Diego CA.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/21 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe you can build a small anechiodal chamber around her bed, made with mosquito wire net not plastic, it needs to be metal to shield her from any RF signal, basically a room made with wire with a door around the bed.

navegator

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Electricty and RFI ib body
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.