RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Trying different method of fresh water tank sanitization

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Trying different method of fresh water tank sanitization

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/21 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wonder if it would not be good to pull the rod, replace with a plug, unhook the cold input line, pour a gallon vinegar, fill with water, re-connect, and heat for hour or so. Then with heater off pull plug and flush heater.
As for the beach smell/taste; Fill, drain, then wait a day. Most smell will be gone when you refill.
I talked to a full-timer about his fresh tank. His rule was taste/smell water before put in tank. If pass that test fill and add a qt of vodka

stevenal

Newport, OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/21 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I sanitize with bleach once a year, letting it sit overnight. I follow with a vinegar soak to kill the bleach smell. Open taps to get bleach or vinegar through all the lines. Follow with a plain water soak before filling. Water heater remains bypassed until final step because both bleach and vinegar are corrosive and will attack the aluminum water heater tank.

'18 Bigfoot 1500
Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/21 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I left chlorinated city water in my fresh tank for 3 weeks, and it was a swamp in there when I went to use it the next time. It was a late night flushing it out with bleach to get the funk and algae out of the tank.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/21 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

I left chlorinated city water in my fresh tank for 3 weeks, and it was a swamp in there when I went to use it the next time. It was a late night flushing it out with bleach to get the funk and algae out of the tank.

There have been a few times my TC sat for over a month, this being one of them. Usually I fill the tank full of city water when I get home from a trip. This time was different. I was going to make a quick turnabout and head out again but my fridge cooling unit died and I was stuck. The last tank of fresh water was from a clean mountain glacial spring. I did not fill the tank as per usual M/O. This time I did smell the slightest bit of funkiness. Well I was reading recently about cleaning water tanks and I came across this Vinegar and Hot Water Heater Method and thought Hmmm, I'll give it a try. The water smells clean and tastes fresh now. I'm happy with the results. Take care...

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!
CITAP1 Jeff's YouTube Channel
A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/21 01:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We typically are out twice a month with the camper and draw from the tank to keep the water fresh. We may fill from city chlorinated water or from well, but I avoid filling any water that is heavy in mineral or smell. We have not gone more than three weeks without use, so I have not treated or cleaned the fresh tank. I flush the hot water tank one or twice a year and have not seen enough build up worry about cleaning it. You can pump a vinegar dilution into your hot water tank by using the winterizing siphon and not running the tank bypass if you don't want to pickle your fresh tank.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

Flapper

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/21 03:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most city water systems are designed to have minimal chlorine in the water by the time it reaches the home. Can be variations, depending on how far from the treatment plant you are. But in no case is it enough to sanitize, just barely enough to keep already sanitized water from re-growing things....

2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

woodworker414

Crystal City,Mo.

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/21 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

first: To each his own
I have had rvs for 30+ years. I have always used bleach.
I rinse, rinse , rinse. I too drink from my fresh water rv system

The tank is always filled with city water. If by chance we don' go any were for over 30 days, I drain and refill the water tank.
Works for me. The vinegar method sounds really interesting

Bill
WØWJU
Life is a trip, ENJOY the ride.
Safe Travels.
2015 Thor Motorcoach Chateau 31W
Toad: 2008 Chevy HHR

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/21 02:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bedlam wrote:

We typically are out twice a month with the camper and draw from the tank to keep the water fresh. We may fill from city chlorinated water or from well, but I avoid filling any water that is heavy in mineral or smell. We have not gone more than three weeks without use, so I have not treated or cleaned the fresh tank. I flush the hot water tank one or twice a year and have not seen enough build up worry about cleaning it. You can pump a vinegar dilution into your hot water tank by using the winterizing siphon and not running the tank bypass if you don't want to pickle your fresh tank.

"Pickling" the fresh tank was one of the objectives. Certainly a lot of detractors to this method but it is an experiment and I'm the one who chose to try it. Seemingly, the process worked. No smell or taste in the water now. Had hotter than my hands could stand water flowing through the entire system at 130? for 30 to 40 minutes plus ambient time afterward for as long as the water held temperature. I figure the water was scalding hot for perhaps an hour total combined with the acidity of the vinegar water solution. The heat itself in the system is a big plus for any attempt at cleaning. I rather doubt there is any significant bacteria left in the system, no more than there ever is. I've been drinking the water from the TC for a couple days now and no ill effects. I may take the TC down to the waterfront tomorrow to hang out, do some work, and bake a couple loaves of bread using the water from the fresh tank.
Next time, I may try this Purogene Water Treatment Preserver.
Hope all's well with you guys...

* This post was edited 05/18/21 02:27am by Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Trying different method of fresh water tank sanitization
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.