|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Travel buddies

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
anns

Phoenix

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/21 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all. I am going to South Africa for 3 months with my 2 little travel buddies (jack russels). We are planning to stay only on the campsites (wild camping is not very safe there). What do you think are the most important things i have to take with and/or to consider before leaving?
Update: my dogs had all the necessary vaccines, i had a long consulting session with the Pet pharmacy and they recommend a flea and tick treatment K9 Advantix as the best on the market for today (what's your opinion on that?), they also helped me to prepare a little travel kit for my doggies with everything they can possible need during long travel/airport hours)))

* This post was edited 05/24/21 07:49am by anns *

dturm

Lake County, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/15/21 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out the import requirements for South Africa and for return to the US. You need to plan way ahead of time and go through the international requirements and many require prior authorization. Titers for many diseases have to be performed before your trip.

In this time I'd also be concerned about COVID and medical care available in South Africa. I know that their health care system is NOT third world caliber and if they are not overwhelmed with COVID should provide the type of care available here in the states.

USDA APHIS web site.

Doug & Sandy
Kaylee (15 year old Terrier of some sort), Sasha 5 yr old Golden
Kaiya at the Rainbow Bridge
2008 Southwind
2009 Honda CRV

Check out blog.rv.net

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/21 10:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do they have a 2 week quarantine in S. Africa for pets? And when you get back to the US?

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/21 12:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

whey my BIL was temporarily transfered to Britain he wanted to take his cat until he learned that his cat would be in a 6-month quarantine. now that was years ago but the point is to check the laws in Sud Africa.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

anns

Phoenix

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/21 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dturm wrote:

Check out the import requirements for South Africa and for return to the US. You need to plan way ahead of time and go through the international requirements and many require prior authorization. Titers for many diseases have to be performed before your trip.

In this time I'd also be concerned about COVID and medical care available in South Africa. I know that their health care system is NOT third world caliber and if they are not overwhelmed with COVID should provide the type of care available here in the states.

USDA APHIS web site.

I've been to SA many times and medical care there is pretty good, nothing to be concerned about if you have an insurance.

anns

Phoenix

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/21 11:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

whey my BIL was temporarily transfered to Britain he wanted to take his cat until he learned that his cat would be in a 6-month quarantine. now that was years ago but the point is to check the laws in Sud Africa.

Its SA, there is always a way to go around that...[emoticon]

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/21 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even ignoring the obvious SA variant Covid threat (surely you're vaccinated?); even ignoring the ability to bribe your way around quarantine requirements - why on Earth would you go there with THIS "Do Not Travel" threat:
Terrorism

anns

Phoenix

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/21 08:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb and Ed M wrote:

Even ignoring the obvious SA variant Covid threat (surely you're vaccinated?); even ignoring the ability to bribe your way around quarantine requirements - why on Earth would you go there with THIS "Do Not Travel" threat:
Terrorism

1) yes, i am vaccinated
2) i am not going to bribe anyone. there are also legal ways to avoid quarantine
3) if i would read what is written on those government websites i would never ever travel somewhere...

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/24/21 06:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3) if i would read what is written on those government websites i would never ever travel somewhere...

Bingo. You want to get scared? Read the advisories for cities like LA, NYC and Chicago as well as the US in general. Tourist areas in SA are safe. I have researched the country in depth because we plan on going there within the next 3-5 years. As in all travel heed guidelines, etc.

That said you don't say when you plan on going. Personally I would wait until COVID is better under control. This is the website with the info regarding the importation of animals: https://www.gov.za/services/import/import-animals-and-animal-products

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

dturm

Lake County, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/24/21 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is a post from the COVID thread:

BCSnob wrote:

Efficacy Estimates for Various COVID-19 ........ we Know from the Literature and Reports
Medrxiv preprint

Quote:

Abstract

In this report, we provide summary estimates, from publications and reports, of vaccine efficacy (VE) for the COVID-19 vaccines that are being rolled out on a global scale. We find that, on average, the efficacy against any disease with infection is 85% (95% CI: 71 - 93%) after a full course of vaccination. The VE against severe disease, hospitalization or death averages close to 100%. The average VE against infection, regardless of symptoms, is 84% (95% CI: 70 - 91%). We also find that the average VE against transmission to others for Infected vaccinated people is 54% (95% CI: 38 - 66%). Finally, we prove summary estimates of the VE against any disease with infection for some of the variants of concern (VOC). The average VE for the VOC B.1.1.7, B.1.1.28 (P1) and B.1.351 are 86% (95% CI: 65 - 84%), 61% (95% CI: 43 - 73%) and 56% (95% CI: 29 - 73%), respectively.

If I read it correctly, the vaccine efficacy against the South African COVID Variant (B.1.351) is 56%.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop  >  Dogs

> Travel buddies
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.