|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

> Canadian Camping outlook or No Alaska this year

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/21 08:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Yup, just when ya think the US is over the top with restrictions, along comes Canadia....”Hold my beer, eh....”

We just don't want to share our good beer! [emoticon]

Things are getting better so I think restrictions will start lifting soon. Most campgrounds are booked solid, though, so good luck getting in anywhere. [emoticon]

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, RAM 20k sliding hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

shum02

Burlington ON CDA

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/21 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ontario Provincial Parks are presently closed. If you did not book anything already for July and August you are probably pooched. At least for the big popular parks. If you don't mind driving up North of North Bay you MIGHT get something.

2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/21 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

shum02 wrote:

Ontario Provincial Parks are presently closed. If you did not book anything already for July and August you are probably pooched. At least for the big popular parks. If you don't mind driving up North of North Bay you MIGHT get something.

Wow. They are all open in BC...and mostly packed.

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/21 04:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The issue for Alaska is the loss of cruise ships that, because of foreign registry, stop in Canada before entering Alaska from another U.S. port.

The loss of RV traffic through Canada will obviously have some impact, but the big "tourist" dollars come from cruise ships and their leveraging effect, not RV travel. When a ship of 1500 pax makes 4 stops in a SE Alaska circuit, the $$ loss is significant if that ship simply cancels it's Alaska trips.

The "not-reliant-on-cruise-ship" tourist businesses are doing well. A couple of remote lodge clients of mine are fully booked for the year; BIL who has an air taxi operation got all of his planes ready this year based on confirmed reservations; some local sightseeing flights and boats are booked at least 45 days in advance (although admittedly some still operating at reduced capacity).

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

shum02

Burlington ON CDA

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/21 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

shum02 wrote:

Wow. They are all open in BC...and mostly packed.

So would they be here if they where open. Think about it, the Province saves money when they are closed. Ontario Parks only recoup around 80% of the money it cost to service a site through reservation's. If there is no one there no staff is required and they do no maintenance. Win, win.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/21 12:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

If there is no one there no staff is required and they do no maintenance. Win, win

Only if they lay off the staff, not the practice in the US other than volunteers/temps.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/21 02:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from General RVing.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/21 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The outlook has greatly improved since 2/1/2021 but we are not there yet.. IF things go well we might get there by August (Id love to see July) but not holding beath.. Christmas is about the soonest I think .

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

thomas201

Eastern Panhandle WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/21 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just give it up. Take what you can have. I rented a truck camper in Alaska for several weeks. We will fly up. Flights are still reasonable, no problem booking what we wanted in Denali. I did this at the end of April. If an outfitter could have slid a spring griz hunt 2 days I would have followed up the camping trip with a hunt. This was due to a South African client having to cancel. A big discount was left on the table, but somebody will get lucky.

I urge you fellow campers to go. Look for discounts and specials, the folks in Alaska seem willing to work with us, and some income will help them greatly. If we do not support our vendors in Alaska, will they be open in 2022?

thomas201

Eastern Panhandle WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/21 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PA12DRVR is talking about the cursed Jones Act. A ship must be US registered and crewed, to sail from one US port to another, without stopping in another country. This prevents a cruise ship from sailing from Washington State direct to Alaska, and thus avoiding Canadian Covid restrictions.

It also prevents shipping US liquified natural gas from Texas to Boston. So Boston imports LNG from around the world, including with a waiver from Russia. This is also why stuff is very expensive in Hawaii. I wish we could repeal this POS law. OK, rant off.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

> Canadian Camping outlook or No Alaska this year
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.