RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Gas Vs Diesel Yah-Yah-Yah!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Gas Vs Diesel Yah-Yah-Yah!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
Mondooker

Florida Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/21 11:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok look, I understand diesels hold more storage, can hold and have heavier stuff. I also understand diesels have air bags and may/may not have a better ride and may/may not pull more and may/may not be quieter. But that all comes at a price!

For the sake of this conversation let’s agree on a few perimeters.
A top of the line gasser lists around $225.000.00.
A compatible diesel will be around $300,000.00.

So let’s keep our conversation located there. I don’t want someone jumping in with “hey I have a new Newmar Mountain Air and it’s better than a gasser. If you do that I’ll be prone to say something like “Im very happy for you but you’re an idiot”!

I recently spent a good amount of time in a 2021 Entegra Emblem and 2021 Coachmen Encore. Both had the new Ford V8 and the new F53 chassis. And I’m here to tell you the gas vs diesel has been blurred to say the least.

You take the difference in price and the price to maintain them and the gas stands out as an obvious winner. I’ll hear diesel owners say “Oh mine goes up hill faster” and I counter with “Have you gone somewhere a gas coach can’t”? All I hear then is Crickets. And then there’s “Oh but my diesel will go 500,000 miles and a gas will do half of that. And I say “Yes and for what you pay to rebuild your diesel, I can put in a new engine and transmission and have money left over for a month out west and summer in Alaska”! Yes more crickets.

The prevailing wisdom has been. Their all the same at the park and there's a lot of truth to that. But getting there has become much better in the new top tear gassers. I’m not saying there’s not good reasons to buy a diesel because there are. Just be smart and not buy one because someone says a diesel is better. Because that’s not necessarily right for you.

I was recently talking to someone with a known RV channel who have a Newmar BayStar and love the Coach. But they really-really-really want a diesel as soon as the can! Silly me I asked why? They looked at me as much to say “What’s wrong with you”? And I admit it’s a multiple choice questions. But if they were honest when we were done talking, they no longer had the same assurance as when the conversation started.

Get what you want but get if for the right reason and whisking a gas coach away because it’s a gas coach could be a huge mistake! Folks will add remarks below as they should. But be open minded and grounded into what you really need and then what you want will fill in nicely! Find the floorplan you like, that’s critical mass right there!

Ed C

Cape Cod, MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/21 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have had two great gas coaches (Winnebago) and are on our second DP. The DPs cost much more to buy and maintain but they pay back in ride, handling, lack of engine noise and range. We have travelled over 200,000 miles in our RV. We like our current coach the best but the others were fine.

Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

Mondooker

Florida Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/21 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Ed, Why did you go from gas to diesel?

Ed C

Cape Cod, MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/21 02:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The ride, handling, lack of engine noise etc. and we could afford it!

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/21 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nothing wrong with having your mind made up.

People have different needs and wants and they don't always line up with our own.

That's the good thing about having choices. You don't have to settle for what someone else likes.

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Mondooker

Florida Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/21 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Mike , Good post and you’re right of course. After rereading my initial post it came off more matter of fact than I intended. I think I was just surprised at how nice the top end gas class A’s are. Spending time in them really had an impact that was very different than I expected. It didn’t match up with many things I’d heard over the years.

wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island lake

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/21 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With the new V-8 Gasser, engine noise , while still greater than it is with the rear engine, it should not be overwhelming anymore, due to the lower rev's. And on the the new gas model, what transmission did it have? I dont know if they are getting 10 speeds out yet, but if not, that should help on both driving and noise even more.

ArchHoagland

Clovis, CA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/21 03:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All my gasoline is free...or at least that's how I look at it.

When we bought our new gas Monaco in 2004 we were debating between our $110,000 gasser or a $170,000 diesel that we liked.

We decided $60,000 would buy a lot of gas and I've think we've spent it over the past 95,000 miles.

If I had it to do over I would do the same thing.

2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/21 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mondooker wrote:

Ok look, I have a new Newmar Mountain Air and it’s better than a gasser.

I have an old Newmar and it is still better than any gas rig.

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/21 06:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Engine noise is my number one concern.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Gas Vs Diesel Yah-Yah-Yah!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.