RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Back to work part time.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Back to work part time.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/21 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli wrote:

I see the picture too but this isn't a post about pictures, it's a back to work part time post. What sort of work are you doing. Curious because I'll be entering the world of the retired in about 2 months after selling rental houses and washing my hands of that business.

[image]

I haul the US Mail from 10 rural post offices to a main distribution center, take a 90 minute break, reload and drop off the next days mail.

I drive four nights for just over 50 hours total, 4 days on and 10 off. 540 miles every night.

I took an early retirement back in 2016 due to some needed surgery. This is my old job but just part time.

I never planned on going back to work but after a divorce and fighting cancer for 10 years this is actually a pretty good gig. [emoticon]

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

mellow

Salisbury, MD

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/21 11:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And if Dejoy has his way you will be driving a lot more!

2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/21 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Something changed with USPS lately.
I remember years ago, getting postal job in California require passing very hard exams and the wait list was like over a year long.
Now in NV, our dedicated postlady took 5 days vacations and nobody would deliver anything in this time.
My international package was sitting 4 days at local PO before our regural person come back.
My guess for Specta call is that young generation is focusing on become millionaires with few keyboard strokes, so there are no people for actual manual work.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/21 12:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I drive for a private contractor and I am not employed by the USPS.

USPS does require background checks and random drug and alcohol tests.

I have no idea what it takes to get hired by the USPS nor do I have any desire to work for them.

I only plan on working until the end of Dec but I will fill in for the other two drivers when they take time off for as long as I am campable.

This is the longest mail route with the most stops the company has and its hard for them to find someone to step in and cover one of the drivers for a few days.

Full time its 4 days one week and three the next so you actually only work 6 months out of 12. Way better than the 9 months you work working 9-5 M-F.

The other driver that I am sharing the schedule with is going to retire and is just burning up vacation time the days that I drive.

Me coming back helps out quite a few people including me. [emoticon]

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/21 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Something changed with USPS lately.

I don't doubt that with them being buried with Amazon orders might have something to do with it.

My job ends when I drop the mail off at the post office. [emoticon]

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/21 01:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli wrote:

I see the picture too but this isn't a post about pictures, it's a back to work part time post. What sort of work are you doing. Curious because I'll be entering the world of the retired in about 2 months after selling rental houses and washing my hands of that business.

[image]

I haul the US Mail from 10 rural post offices to a main distribution center, take a 90 minute break, reload and drop off the next days mail.

I drive four nights for just over 50 hours total, 4 days on and 10 off. 540 miles every night.

I took an early retirement back in 2016 due to some needed surgery. This is my old job but just part time.

I never planned on going back to work but after a divorce and fighting cancer for 10 years this is actually a pretty good gig. [emoticon]

Sounds like a great gig. Sorry about the other **** you had to deal with. It's amazing how well the success rate curing and treating cancer has become. All my friends who have had it have won their battle though some are still receiving periodic scans monitoring it. May God bless and keep you well. J&K

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!
CITAP1 Jeff's YouTube Channel
A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/21 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The NY TImes today wrote:

The chief executive of Domino’s Pizza has complained that the company can’t hire enough drivers. Lyft and Uber claim to have a similar problem. A McDonald’s franchise in Florida offered $50 to anybody willing to show up for an interview. And some fast-food outlets have hung signs in their windows saying, “No one wants to work anymore.”

So once again Specta. Thanks for filling up the voids.

mellow

Salisbury, MD

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/21 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

My job ends when I drop the mail off at the post office. [emoticon]

That makes two of us [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Back to work part time.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.