|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Back before cellphones

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/21 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Curt 12914 I use Google maps as well. I had a gathering of friends at the lake house. We sat down to dinner and two people were using their smart phones during dinner. I threatened to take them away and throw them in the lake. They wisely put their phones away. It was actually a empty threat but they got the message.

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/21 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At dinner last night, a guest was curious as to what a two humped camel was called. Siri, on my Iphone, gave a quick answer and all welcomed quick access to the information. [emoticon]

* This post was edited 05/18/21 08:08am by Moderator *

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/21 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moderator wrote:

At dinner last night, a guest was curious as to what a two humped camel was called. Siri, on my Iphone, gave a quick answer and all welcomed quick access to the information. [emoticon]

IMO, that is the BEST part of technology - the ability to find the answer to a question in the blink of an eye. When I was in school, I used encyclopedias and dictionaries; but if you didn't know the word to look up, you were in a world of hurt....

Or you'd be searching through the card catalogue at the library, finally find a book description that looked like the one you needed - hiked over to the book stacks and started the search, only to discover the book wasn't there.

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/18/21 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cell phones are a convenience not a necessity. That said, I carry one, if I remember to pick it up before I leave home but I don't walk down the street with it in front of my face. I like to see the world in person, not on a screen of only a few square inches. I like to see the expressions of people I am holding a conversation with and the need to visit others to do this. My cell is used to make and receive phone calls, not to hold in front of my face while walking down Main St or hiking on a trail.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/18/21 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

Crowe wrote:

He had no idea how to use it.

Of course he wouldn't, just like most of us wouldn't know how to use something that was prevalent 75 years ago or something we don't use in everyday life or at our jobs.
True but this was 20 years ago before black rotary desk phones were complete obsolete.

Seen an article that stated that manual transmissions were becoming a theft prevention item because so few people know how to use them.

20yr ago rotary phones were very much an oddity. By the 1980's they were already being phased out, so most folks under 35 likely have never used one and even for the rest, they are a distant memory.

I am a bit sad that the manual transmission is dying a slow death but when it lost it's MPG advantage and sports cars found they could sell a fake manual transmission, it was just a matter time.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/18/21 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

curt12914 wrote:

BarabooBob wrote:

In the town of Hill Point, WI there is a working pay phone in what looks like an outhouse. There are a lot of Amish people in the area and there is no cell coverage in many of the valleys around there. The outhouse design works out very well in the winter when it stays cold and windy from November until April.

An outhouse with a pay phone? That's what I call multi-tasking !!!

At least if you drop it in the toilet, there's a cord so you can pull it out.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/18/21 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moderator wrote:

That reminds me. We also listen to audio books on the cell while driving.

The only issue we have is occasionally the phone will start talking to itself. In the book the murderer is revealed...and suddenly we are getting crime stats from the area we are driving thru.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/18/21 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seen an article that stated that manual transmissions were becoming a theft prevention item because so few people know how to use them.

LOL they are indeed! However, finding them is more and more difficult, even in sports cars.

I'm not sure I'd go to the extent of calling cell phone a necessity just yet but as life and technology evolve it may become that way. They've impacted my life in a positive way with few negatives.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/21 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

colliehauler wrote:

Crowe wrote:

He had no idea how to use it.

Of course he wouldn't, just like most of us wouldn't know how to use something that was prevalent 75 years ago or something we don't use in everyday life or at our jobs.
True but this was 20 years ago before black rotary desk phones were complete obsolete.

20yr ago rotary phones were very much an oddity. By the 1980's they were already being phased out, so most folks under 35 likely have never used one and even for the rest, they are a distant memory.

I am a bit sad that the manual transmission is dying a slow death but when it lost it's MPG advantage and sports cars found they could sell a fake manual transmission, it was just a matter time.
Wow time marches on, this occured in 87 so actually 34 years ago. But my point was technology moves on and stuff becomes obsolete.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/21 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

LOL they are indeed! However, finding them is more and more difficult, even in sports cars.

I'm not sure I'd go to the extent of calling cell phone a necessity just yet but as life and technology evolve it may become that way. They've impacted my life in a positive way with few negatives.
Evidently you're not hammered with extended warranty sales calls, LOL.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Back before cellphones
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.