RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Fresh Water System Sanitized Using Vinegar & Water Heater

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> RV Fresh Water System Sanitized Using Vinegar & Water Heater

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/21 09:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry, this Dufus is not at all convincing with a statement that this procedure "is supposed to" sanitize. If you could hit 130 degrees in the entire system, there is no documentation that this would work and in fact there is plenty of literature that states neither vinegar or a full 130 would be effective.

If you don't care, fine. Personally I want a system that is sanitized and free of the worst of the nasties such as Legionella. Legionella thrives in hot water but does not withstand bleach or boiling, but 130 is a long way short.

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/21 02:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

Sorry, this Dufus is not at all convincing with a statement that this procedure "is supposed to" sanitize. If you could hit 130 degrees in the entire system, there is no documentation that this would work and in fact there is plenty of literature that states neither vinegar or a full 130 would be effective.

If you don't care, fine. Personally I want a system that is sanitized and free of the worst of the nasties such as Legionella. Legionella thrives in hot water but does not withstand bleach or boiling, but 130 is a long way short.

The "Dufas" is happy with the results. No smell, no taste, just good clean drinkable water coming out of the TC water system. It was interesting to try the method. Next time, I may try the water system cleaner suggested by another poster earlier. I believe it is a non bleach based product and airlines use it for cleaning their drinking water holding tanks.
Purogene Water Treatment Preserver
Take care...

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!
CITAP1 Jeff's YouTube Channel
A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/18/21 05:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli wrote:

The "Dufas" is happy with the results. No smell, no taste, just good clean drinkable water coming out of the TC water system. ....

The concern is that the water treatment does not give "good clean drinkable water". Not with a strong possibility of bacteria and mold still remaining in the system.

If you are determined to avoid household chlorine bleach, then Purogene is a good alternative. It is still chlorine based and just as effective. You also need to rinse it out of the system as you would with household bleach. The MSDS reads pretty much like you will find for bleach:

"Corrosive
Harmful if swallowed
Avoid Breathing vapor or spray mist
Causes moderate eye irritation
Remove contaminated clothing and wash clothing before reuse
Wash thoroughly with soap and water after handling
Handlers applying chlorine dioxide must wear gloves
This pesticide is toxic to fish and aquatic invertebrates"

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/18/21 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm glad that I'm not paranoid.

Maybe if I was drawing water from a stagnant pond but really as long as the water is turning over fairly often, it goes thru a filter before going in the tank. I've got bigger things to worry about than building a rube goldberg vinegar still out of an RV.

If we haven't used the RV for a month or more or the taste has gone off, I might consider consider running a little bleach thru the system and then flushing it out. If you are ever on city water, you will get some chlorine flavor anyway. We usually keep a pitcher for drinking water in the fridge so the chlorine flavor mostly evaporates anyway before we drink it.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/21 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

The "Dufas" is happy with the results. No smell, no taste, just good clean drinkable water coming out of the TC water system. ....

The concern is that the water treatment does not give "good clean drinkable water". Not with a strong possibility of bacteria and mold still remaining in the system.

If you are determined to avoid household chlorine bleach, then Purogene is a good alternative. It is still chlorine based and just as effective. You also need to rinse it out of the system as you would with household bleach. The MSDS reads pretty much like you will find for bleach:

"Corrosive
Harmful if swallowed
Avoid Breathing vapor or spray mist
Causes moderate eye irritation
Remove contaminated clothing and wash clothing before reuse
Wash thoroughly with soap and water after handling
Handlers applying chlorine dioxide must wear gloves
This pesticide is toxic to fish and aquatic invertebrates"

Does anybody really know how much "Stuff" actually grows in an RV fresh water tank? Typically, it's full of or has water in it and is somewhat sealed from the outside. It's always dark in it's compartment which to algae means no light to produce food and grow. There are trace amounts of nutrients for stuff to grow from. The RV fresh water tank is really an inhospitable place for life. Obviously some stuff does manage to scrape out a living but how much is that? Is it just stagnant water with a plasticy smell and taste or is it water riddled with all sorts of nasty stuff? Many of our fellow TCers simply rinse out the fresh tank with water and rarely or never chemically or otherwise clean their fresh tank and water system. Usually, I rinse out monthly if not going anywhere and when traveling, there is new water introduced regularly and agitation/aeration from the road motion. The water in the tank is 3 days old now, still tastes and smells fine as of this AM. The method I used isn't perfect but it's also not without merit. Water at 125 degrees does kill bacteria, it just takes longer like a couple hours and I'm sure I met that mark. The vinegar, though diluted still introduces acidity which is unfriendly to the stuff that may be in the tank. The two, heat and acidity do work together, along with duration of time to create a hostile to deadly environment to stuff in the tank. In that time, I'm sure one or two or more of the stuff were killed. Not perfect, but not without merit. Nobody is going to deny that bleaching kills best but this is a viable alternative for those who want one. Having actually done this and currently experiencing the results, I can say that the real world results of this experiment, worked to my satisfaction. That is a real world determination from personally experienced results. There will always be hardliners who will insist on stay the course of RV tank cleaning with bleach doctrine, never realizing or admitting, there are several paths leading to the same destination.

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/21 12:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anybody really know how much "Stuff" actually grows in an RV fresh water tank? Typically, it's full of or has water in it and is somewhat sealed from the outside. It's always dark in it's compartment which to algae means no light to produce food and grow. There are trace amounts of nutrients for stuff to grow from. The RV fresh water tank is really an inhospitable place for life.

I'd guess that airplane freshwater tanks have a similar environment - tanks are sealed and dark, are refilled frequently, and get plenty of agitation.

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/study-s........rplane-water-is-dirtier-than-you-think

Quote:

But a new study shows it's not just the tray table or seat-back pocket that could be harboring germs and bacteria. The tap water on both major and regional U.S. carriers was found to be contaminated with varying levels of E. coli and coliform, according to the newly released 2019 Airline Water Study conducted by DietDetective.com and Hunter College NYC Food Policy Center.

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/21 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

I'm glad that I'm not paranoid.

Maybe if I was drawing water from a stagnant pond but really as long as the water is turning over fairly often, it goes thru a filter before going in the tank. I've got bigger things to worry about than building a rube goldberg vinegar still out of an RV.

If we haven't used the RV for a month or more or the taste has gone off, I might consider consider running a little bleach thru the system and then flushing it out. If you are ever on city water, you will get some chlorine flavor anyway. We usually keep a pitcher for drinking water in the fridge so the chlorine flavor mostly evaporates anyway before we drink it.

It would make me proud to know that Rube Goldberg is looking down upon me with a smile of satisfaction...

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/21 01:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rlw999 wrote:

Does anybody really know how much "Stuff" actually grows in an RV fresh water tank? Typically, it's full of or has water in it and is somewhat sealed from the outside. It's always dark in it's compartment which to algae means no light to produce food and grow. There are trace amounts of nutrients for stuff to grow from. The RV fresh water tank is really an inhospitable place for life.

I'd guess that airplane freshwater tanks have a similar environment - tanks are sealed and dark, are refilled frequently, and get plenty of agitation.

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/study-s........rplane-water-is-dirtier-than-you-think

Quote:

But a new study shows it's not just the tray table or seat-back pocket that could be harboring germs and bacteria. The tap water on both major and regional U.S. carriers was found to be contaminated with varying levels of E. coli and coliform, according to the newly released 2019 Airline Water Study conducted by DietDetective.com and Hunter College NYC Food Policy Center.

Interesting article. This quote is pretty much what reasons I think airline water may be more contaminated.
""Because aircraft water comes from locations via temporary connections, aircraft drinking water quality depends on a number of factors (e.g., the care used to board the water, the water transfer equipment (such as water cabinets, trucks, carts, and hoses), and the operation and maintenance of the onboard water system)," the EPA said"

The care we take with our own water system is much higher during handling than a commercial airline's employees give to the aircraft.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/21 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don’t know how much grows in one, but I can see my tank if I open the front. It always seems really clear. I do drain the tank for winter though.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/21 01:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reading through the posts I am pretty grateful that I've never experienced a tank of fowl water.

The only water that has gone into my current campers FW tank it the water from our well so its untreated water.

Even when headed for a campsite with full hookups I take my own water because I know its good.

The east coast has the worst water in the country and Utah has some of the if not the best water. I was told that in a class I attended when I had a water license and managed a small water company.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> RV Fresh Water System Sanitized Using Vinegar & Water Heater
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.